What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4nations | Australia v England | aami park | sun 2nd nov

The Partisan

Will give the try / no try argument a miss but it is obvious that now on we need neutral referees, touch Judges, Video Refs, then of course there is the Ball boys, Interchange Officials, medical staff, timekeepers.

Lets go back into the archives and expunge the results of all games where a non-neutral referee was used.

I feel for the England fans but in reality they have should scored from the break just before halftime and made some other better options. Decisions certainly went against them but i think the previous 78 mins had a lot more bearing than the last two.

As for the statements about the referees supporting Australia - give me a break !

BrisbaneRhino

Juniors
I'm not too bothered about the VR call at the end. I am bothered about the perception not having neutral refs and officials gives.

grouch

First Grade
Not sure how Josh Charnley keeps getting picked for England. Never seen him do anything special at this level, and he was a liability on Sunday. Even his dummy half runs and hit-ups out of trouble were rubbish. No other wingers in England?

mxlegend99

Referee
I can only see a ball on the ground with a finger on it ?
A fingertip touching the end of the ball, with no pressure at all. The middle frame shows the ball on the ground, mid rotation with one end leaving the ground and a finger tip brushing that side of the ball.

The frame next to it shows the ball further rotated, with that end of the ball lifting further and the finger tip bent back as a result.

That suggests no downward pressure... how could a finger tip possibly ground a spinning football with any pressure? It had little to no effect on the ball. Which is why watching the try in motion is important. You can clearly see that his toych had zero effect on the ball and was for a hundredth of a second at best,looking like an airswing.

One frame of contact doesn't prove downward pressure. Throw in a second frame and it proves that the onfield explanation was correct. The ball was rising and his touch had no downward pressure to alter the way the ball was travelling.

Pig Champion

Juniors
Not gonna get into the try/no try debate although I think a try would have been good for rugby league somehow. What I do want to say is, after watching a replay, if Hall had stayed on his feet a moment longer he may have given himself a better chance of grounding the ball in a manner whereby nobody would be arguing the case, but he didn't and that's that.

So good luck to the pommies against NZ.

deluded pom?

Coach
FFS mate, the way some of you guys are carrying on here you'd think this was akin to a Rugby League "hand of god" and it's just not.

There were two contentious calls and the Jennings case was far clearer than the Hall case in terms of touching the ball down.

Let's also remember that the English got away with a blatant trip that would generally be a send-off and ultimately shouldn't have had to rely on a couple line-ball calls to win a game against such an under-strength outfit.

I mean jesus boys, build a bridge and get the f**k over it - this was a great game and the decisions are only getting you blue in the face because you wanted the result to go the other way. I mean heck, I was semi hoping England would get up, but I really didn't see anything like the controversy you lot are making this out to be.

Did Josh Reynolds get a straight red when he tripped a Broncos' player?

Bovrick

Juniors
Complaints that were around before any controversial decisions, from both fans and the English admin. But of course, complaining about the Australians and New Zealanders changing the playing field by introducing home referees after agreeing not to is now just sour grapes.

The same people calling sour grapes or whinging poms now are the ones who would have complained if Bentham, a ref shown to perform on the big stage many times, had called the match. And as for those claiming that no neutral ref was adequate to handle an international match - why on earth was a guy who could be classed as neutral in this match handling a different international - of the same level - the day before?

The whole thing stinks, we didn't have these complaints last year, when the Australians coasted to a World Cup. Personally I'm pissed off most at the NZ official who outvoted the English just to make sure they got a home ref too. They've opened a can of worms and imo have lost all credibility they had of poor treatment by Aus officials when they've just aided this sh*t for their own benefit.

Its going to be interesting this weekend.
England certainly wont want an Aussie ref.
NZ will want a NZ ref, but England understandably wont want another homer.
Australia will want a Aussie ref. Samoa certainly wont
The people who selected the refs for this past weekend have created a problem of their making.

Steve Davy

Juniors
The people who selected the refs for this past weekend have created a problem of their making.

While a neutral ref is ideal, I would not have a problem with a NZ ref. The big issue with the Aussie England game is that it was bent. There is nothing to suggest that the next England game will be bent.

deluded pom?

Coach

Using the argument that Sutton got the Australia v England gig on the "best man for the job" rationale, shouldn't he also get the NZ v England game too? He will also be guaranteed the final too if logic says he's the best ref available.

LordLeague

Juniors
Personally I'm pissed off most at the NZ official who outvoted the English just to make sure they got a home ref too. They've opened a can of worms and imo have lost all credibility they had of poor treatment by Aus officials when they've just aided this sh*t for their own benefit.

Spot on. NZ official should have supported the Poms on this one.

LordLeague

Using the argument that Sutton got the Australia v England gig on the "best man for the job" rationale, shouldn't he also get the NZ v England game too? He will also be guaranteed the final too if logic says he's the best ref available.
If Sutton is the best available ref and he is a NRL ref what does that say about refereeing standards in the NRL?

That's an interesting point. Shayne Hayne is going over there to ref. If he is the best in that comp should he come as their representative?
Yes in my opinion.
Sutton was way out of his depth on Sunday and it showed. He was like a rabbit caught in a cars headlights.
If a Pom ref reffed like that on Sunday the Australian media would have been all over him, and quite rightly.
2 things have come out after Sundays game.
1. We must have neutral refs whether the ARL likes it or not.
2. Despite the hype the NRL refs are behind the Super League refs

Latest posts