What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

crowd watch 2014 part IV

Canard

Immortal
It should also be remembered that this is a long weekend in Melbourne also.

Whilst, its not an official holiday today, the majority take it off and spend 4 days away.

Tiger_Tim

Juniors
Have only started seeing advertising in the past week (on local TV and radio) in Wollongong for Sunday's game. Would have hoped they'd do a bit more work than that (especially during the finals series etc). Not sure what to expect crowd-wise really

Bovrick

Juniors
It's a bit sad really,
England Australia, our greatest rivalry, we cant even sell out a 30 thousand stadium.

Says alot about the international game.
Neutral refs, ? no wonder all our players are headed to union.
They had 60 thousand in New York, a sold out Twickerman for a Barbarians game.

Australia and the exclusive state game has harmed this code, and it shows.
Now we are looking to rob Samoa of their players.
You wonder why people laugh, and union is killing it world-wide.
England cant even beat a bunch of kids.

What are you on about? That Australian team was older than the England team...

Understrength I would give you, kids I would not.

undertaker

Coach
Have only started seeing advertising in the past week (on local TV and radio) in Wollongong for Sunday's game. Would have hoped they'd do a bit more work than that (especially during the finals series etc). Not sure what to expect crowd-wise really

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=441120

As I mentioned, it will depend heavily on not just the weather, but also the result of the NZ/England game the night before. If NZ wins, both Australia and Samoa will have a lot to play for.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
We got 13000 in Melbourne in 1914.

Surely we could sell out aami park in 2014

It wasnt awful just a tad disappointing
They'll go close to selling out the MCG for SoO next year, tickets went on sale for it months ago iirc. Guess it just shows the importance of each.

I might be out of the loop too but I only found out that last week's test was a commemorative game a week or so before the game. Makes me wonder why there wasn't months more promotion for it like they do for Origin games in Melbourne or the Nines in Auckland.

insert.pause

First Grade
They'll go close to selling out the MCG for SoO next year, tickets went on sale for it months ago iirc. Guess it just shows the importance of each.

I might be out of the loop too but I only found out that last week's test was a commemorative game a week or so before the game. Makes me wonder why there wasn't months more promotion for it like they do for Origin games in Melbourne or the Nines in Auckland.

Doubt anyone knew it was a commemorative test until the week of, I only found out after reading a Roy masters article. Promotion has been really poor and the tournament has just been unable to build any momentum, despite it being the closest thing we have seen in years. The Melbourne test should have been advertised during origin and had it been we probably could have got 40k at Etihad on a Saturday night, but I don't think the schedule had been finalised until a month or two out from the first game, which also prevented a lot of poms making the trip down.

Chook Norris

First Grade
What do you guys think about how important big crowds are for retaining a code's star players? IMO, it's a fairly sizeable factor

WaznTheGreat

Referee
A league crowds won't overtake NRL crowds and even if they did it wouldn't mean anything as they only have 10 teams(less teams you have more chance of a higher average) and they have no competition until Javed Miandad plays in the Big Bash

A Plod

Chook Norris

First Grade
The A-league crowd tonight looked bigger than the test yesterday

Well they got 23k+ and outdrew our test match one day later, lol. If one of our club games got bigger than a Union Test match, at the stadium and one day later, you lot would be gloating and laughing at their code. There is plenty of potential for growth in RL crowds, hence why 20k is mediocre

franklin2323

Immortal
A League tickets are only 6 bucks for kids and 16 for adults at AAMI. That must help averages no?

That's the thing. 47k on TV Monday night. 67k on Sunday. So they aren't getting viewers. When it gets really hot and people are off work the crowds will drop. Yet TV won't move as is the case every year

MsStorm

Bench
The A-league crowd tonight looked bigger than the test yesterday

Victory have 23,000+ members & I'd imagine most of them turned up on Monday night without forking out for a ticket.

The price of tickets for the Four Nations Test started at $30 for GA + booking fee for adults. Not exactly cheap!

Also smack in the middle of the Melbourne Cup Carnival didn't help with people saving their dollars to go to that instead. Its a massive event in Melbourne.

Perth Red

Post Whore
people were saying last week playing it in melb cup week was a master stroke as more people in town to attend?

Given the celebration of the Rorkes drift test a 1st year marketing student could have put together an amazing marketing campaign using that as the theme. Instead there was nothing, most unaware until a few days before it was actually having a theme. SOO is talked about for months prior to game one, discussion on selection etc starts rd3 usually. Compare that to test match footy where tv treats it as a second class citizen, the NRL cant be arsed year to year to even play it sometimes and the marketing is non existant. You earn what you work for and RL when it comes to test matches gets exactly what it deserves. mediocre crowds and poor tv figures.
I just hope they get their sht together before the next RLWC. the last one in Europe was outstanding and it would be such a waste to not build on that.

Latest posts