What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football Mk:2 - The Ultras Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

fish eel

Immortal
Steady on Twiz, you can't red card Covic FFS.

There was contact there, but I reckon the over the top way the saudi player hit the deck made it look like he dived. But it was a pen.

Second one, Yep, handball.

Third one wouldve been a tough one. Yes, There was clear contact and the player bought down, but the ball was clearly going out and it made no difference IMO.

Also, even with those missed penalties, they still had more than enough chances to score, and didn't. :cool:

Anyway, I think WSW will get pumped this week by Phoenix.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I was very surprised he stayed on, but enough said, its history now

enjoy it fishy

Suitman

Post Whore
This article from a long time League fan who is a current rugby League reporter for the SMH.
There's something for Avenger, and something for league fans.......

How the Western Sydney Wanderers have united the west like no other force

Date November 4, 2014 - 11:16AM

• 1415094564417.jpg
    Rock star welcome: Wanderers' fans greet the team at Sydney airport on Monday night. Photo: Reuters

For too long the heartland of Australian football was missing its pulse, then the Western Sydney Wanderers were born.
    In the space of two years, the Wanderers have united a region that can be divided by race, religion and sporting affiliations, and in the process conquered a continent to be crowned the kings of Asia.
    A feat never accomplished by an Australian team, sparking celebrations this country has never seen.
    1415094564417.jpg
    Back home: Wanderers' coach Tony Popovic with the AFC Champions trophy at Sydney airport on Monday night. Photo: AFP

I'm a rugby league man through and through, always have and always will be.
    Advertisement
    But I'm also a Wanderers member.
    Born in Penrith, raised in Merrylands and went to school in Parramatta - I'm as west as ugg boots.
    I was at Parramatta Leagues when Parramatta qualified for the grand final in 2009, I was at Kogarah after the Dragons' drought-breaking premiership in 2010, and witnessed the scenes of jubilation when glory finally returned to South Sydney last month.
    But nothing compares to the hysteria that followed Western Sydney's narrow triumph over Al-Hilal in the early hours of Sunday morning.
    I thought nothing would surpass the incredible scenes at Centenary Square, when a sea of red haze blanketed the city of Parramatta as 5000 weary-eyed Wanderers diehards turned a traditionally blue and gold town into a red and black block
    But the rock star welcome the Wanderers received upon their arrival back in Sydney late on Monday night by 2000 devoted fans looked like something out of Hollywood.
    They were climbing walls, hanging from the ceiling and shouting from the rooftops as they awaited their heroes.
    It has been said the Wanderers are the best thing to happen to the A-League.
    They may just be the best thing to happen to Australian sport.
    The team has set the benchmark on the field, and their fans are setting it off the field.
    They are the envy of all sporting franchises in this country, especially those in NSW.
    As a reporter who spent his junior years covering the likes of Sydney United, Marconi and Bonnyrigg in the NSW Premier League for the Fairfield Champion in front of a handful of fans, I know all about how disenchanted the region was with football.
    The demise of the National Soccer League left a sour taste in the mouths of those fans out west, many of whom were at war with each other, and Sydney FC was doing little to soothe their pain.
    Now, Croatians and Serbians are singing as one, united under the Wanderers banner rather than being locked out of venues, while Christians and Muslims are dancing to the same beat.
    Every kid in western Sydney either owns or wants a Wanderers jersey. School mufti days are a sea of red and black, while Wanderers games have become the hottest ticket in town.
    Just 18 months after their first competition game, the largest contingency of interstate supporters in Australian football history and one of the largest in Australian sport made the trek north to Brisbane for the grand final against the Brisbane Roar.
    I was one of them.
    I've been to every Sydney derby and the atmosphere compares to nothing I have experienced in this country.
    There's no denying the enormity of what Tony Popovic and company have accomplished out west.
    Yes, the A-League needed the Wanderers. But western Sydney needed the Wanderers even more.
    So too did Sydney FC.
    It's not about being a football fanatic, that's not what all these Wanderers fans are.
    It's about being a part of something and feeling like you belong.
    It's about pride and passion.
    It's about creating history, and that's what the Wanderers have done.
    Twitter: @MichaelChammas

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hrvts and Srps united at WSW? Do they even have a Serbian player? The Effen Cees have a few Serbs but they also have Janjetovic plus a couple of Macedonians. The WSW have a coach and five first team players from the former Yugoslavia and they're all Croatian.

Suitman

Post Whore
Hrvts and Srps united at WSW? Do they even have a Serbian player? The Effen Cees have a few Serbs but they also have Janjetovic plus a couple of Macedonians. The WSW have a coach and five first team players from the former Yugoslavia and they're all Croatian.

What does race have to do with it? Ask Avenger. He's the one always bringing it up. We also have Italians, Brazilians, Dutch, Nigerians, Fairfieldans, Blacktownians and believe it or not, some Aussies.
What's your point, dickhead?

Suity

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I didn't bring race into it Suity, you did. You posted an article and highlighted the bit about two historically hostile effnic groups being united at the Wanderers. I just pointed out that it's not true of any WSW employees, but it is true of another club in Sydney.

Enjoy your win but don't grandstand.

Kornstar

Coach
Coming from the west, of course the Wanderers have united these people! They all love soccer passionately but have never had their own team to feel part of on such a big scale.

It's not surprising at all that all these westies who have European heritage etc. that they won't let go of (most of their parents barely speak English from my experience of the ones I went to school with) will unite for their very own team!

If it were reversed and League was just starting and they had a western Sydney team to identify with after all these years of just having Wenty and Windsor etc. those combined would be about the same.

Sydney's west is f**king huge and only one team represents them, why wouldn't they have a massive following considering a large amount of them have the relevant heritage for football?

Every kid in western Sydney either owns or wants a Wanderers jersey. School mufti days are a sea of red and black, while Wanderers games have become the hottest ticket in town.

On the way to work this morning I actually drove past a primary school having a "mufti day"... Number of Wanderers shirts seen? Zero. And before you ask, this is as statistically-accurate a research methodology as that employed by Michael Chammas in developing the quote above.

Gronk

Staff member
On the way to work this morning I actually drove past a primary school having a "mufti day"... Number of Wanderers shirts seen? Zero. And before you ask, this is as statistically-accurate a research methodology as that employed by Michael Chammas in developing the quote above.

FYI a Mufti Day now means that the kids dress like their Mosque 's Mufti.

mufti_narrowweb__300x4330.jpg

Avenger

Immortal

What does race have to do with it? Ask Avenger. He's the one always bringing it up. We also have Italians, Brazilians, Dutch, Nigerians, Fairfieldans, Blacktownians and believe it or not, some Aussies.
What's your point, dickhead?

Suity

The point is that Popovic does not want Serbs in the squad whilst he is the coach. I have already told you of one specific example. Explain this Suity are there any players of Serbian origin in the team. Name just one. Is it coincidence ? I don't think so.

I was at a Croatian wedding recently and there was a former Socceroo at the wedding who was of Croatian origin who thought I was too. He stated that Sydney United will be the feeder club to the Wanderers as long as Popa is there and that those f**king Serbs can play with Sydney. I said to him, why should it matter? He said, "f**k em, we don't need them." I left the wedding 15 min later and told him before I left that I was of Serbian origin.

I have many Croatian friends. If I meet one that has a problem with me because I'm of Serbian heritage well it makes me a little angry.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Is Marc Janko (Austrian dude) descended from Jankovic family ?

Coincidentally we had a Yugo kid at school who became a Socceroo called Mark Jankovic. Back in the 80's that would have been. Before they had electricity and cars.

forward pass

Coach
The point is that Popovic does not want Serbs in the squad whilst he is the coach. I have already told you of one specific example. Explain this Suity are there any players of Serbian origin in the team. Name just one. Is it coincidence ? I don't think so.

I was at a Croatian wedding recently and there was a former Socceroo at the wedding who was of Croatian origin who thought I was too. He stated that Sydney United will be the feeder club to the Wanderers as long as Popa is there and that those f**king Serbs can play with Sydney. I said to him, why should it matter? He said, "f**k em, we don't need them." I left the wedding 15 min later and told him before I left that I was of Serbian origin.

I have many Croatian friends. If I meet one that has a problem with me because I'm of Serbian heritage well it makes me a little angry.

I am a Wanderers member and STH - and I could not give two shits about what race players are. But - I have heard something very similar to what you have posted above which disappoints me greatly. I don't want to say any more about it and I won't.

Avenger

Immortal
I am a Wanderers member and STH - and I could not give two shits about what race players are. But - I have heard something very similar to what you have posted above which disappoints me greatly. I don't want to say any more about it and I won't.

Mate I would love to support them because they represent the area that I grew up in and play out of my favourite ground on the planet, However when I constantly hear the prejudice from a variety of independent sources it makes me stay away.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

My sister is a keen Parra fan and her boys love the Wanderers. The husband is a rah rah fan from Africa.

These are the only two kids I know.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I was at a Croatian wedding recently and there was a former Socceroo at the wedding who was of Croatian origin who thought I was too. He stated that Sydney United will be the feeder club to the Wanderers as long as Popa is there and that those f**king Serbs can play with Sydney. I said to him, why should it matter? He said, "f**k em, we don't need them."

Sydney 'United'

fish eel

Immortal

I don't doubt what you've been told, but that one example you gave was Marko Jesic, wasn't it?

Rubbish player who wasn't wanted by any a-league team and is now playing in that football hotbed of Hong kong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts