What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL expansion review process

smithie

Juniors
From the Brisbane Bombers Facebook page:

Brisbane!!! The rumour-mill is in overdrive that an #nrl expansion announcement will be made following the final of the #4nations!

We will keep you posted as any formal updates are made and look forward to the ARL Commission providing their direction for any potential expansion plans.

Thank-you for your continued support! #brisbanebombers #buckleup

https://www.facebook.com/BrisbaneBombersNRL

The Great Dane

First Grade
I call bullshit...

The announcement will be something like "we are officially beginning our review". BB just want a reason to be visible.

I agree.

Unless the NRL did what I would have done and had the review going on in the back round during the year and then at the end of the season presented the review to the people in power to read. But I doubt that they did that as we are talking about the NRL.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
Not saying that there should be an English team in the NRL, but the feasibility of teams in cities all over the world should be investigated constantly alone with the NRL's market penetration and corporate support in said cities.

If for example an opportunity arises for the NRL to penetrate the market in (insert large city here) and maybe eventually place a team in the city, then the NRL really needs to be aware of it as soon as possible.

Investigating every opportunity is good practice, as long as nobody gets carried away and jumps the gun like the NFL seems to be about to do in London.

Great post. Spot on the money. Great to see our current leaders in the NRL are across all of this.

Perth Red

Post Whore
BB saying announcement imminent, CQ saying won't be a call for bids until next year. All just guesswork.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It really feels like they are setting it up for a pish weak response to expansion

He added: “The NRL is absolutely committed to expansion but that does not necessarily mean more teams in the NRL competition. It means looking at the best way to get more people playing and watching rugby league, not just in the NRL but throughout areas where Rugby League is played. The Central Coast is, of course, an area where we would like to see growth...The Central Coast is a great rugby league area and its claims will be considered as part of the current review.”
Asked when the bid team would get an answer, - either a ‘yes’ or a ‘no’ - the spokesman said: “The NRL will announce the outcome of the expansion review when it is completed.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...eartland-furious/story-fni0cx12-1227136357175

The Great Dane

First Grade
It really feels like they are setting it up for a pish weak response to expansion

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...eartland-furious/story-fni0cx12-1227136357175

Not really, it just sound like they're covering all their bases and looking into all the options available to them.

From the sounds of things they're a focusing on whats best's for the competition as a whole more so then what's the best expansion opportunity, and that's a good thing because if the best opportunity only has a bad outcome then they need to make more opportunities with better outcomes.

No point in jumping off the building before checking to see if the door to the stairs is unlocked.

It also sounds like the expansion review is also being used as a rationalisation review, which is a good idea because a review into the structure of the competition and the spread of the teams needs to happen and if they actually held a rationalisation review and the media found out about it the hysteria would derail any research they were attempting.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I have heard this a number of times from different NRL officials, I havent heard any positive comment about actually increasing the number of clubs from one of them. Makes me feel they are just setting the scene for the BS that is about to flow. If they "rationalise" anything I will eat my hat.

but that does not necessarily mean more teams in the NRL competition.

alien

Referee
im getting so disillusioned with the nrl. f**kwits have been running it since 1998. hard to believe that its 2014 and no team in perth and adelaide. shows how f**ked they are. the afl is laughing at the nrl, and so they should be

gallen was right. the nrl are a bunch of merkins

Perth Red

Post Whore

The only saving grace is the "not necessary" bit. However this has now been trotted out by Grant, Smith and this unnamed official. Can be read as one of two ways 1. That their will be relocation or merger to keep number at 16 but bring in new areas or 2. That there will be no new clubs but more games played on the road.

Given how conservative the NRL and commission have been ove rthe last two years it is very hard to think that number 1 is an option they are willing to take on. So that means no new clubs, crumbs being continued to be fed to places like Perth and Gosford and little hope we will see the game grow to any great heights in the next decade.

Of course I could be pleasantly surprised and they could announce 4 new teams to come in lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would you rather support the Wests Tigers based in Sydney or a Perth Magpies playing 4 or 5 away games in Sydney? Genuine question.

Diesel

Referee
Not really, it just sound like they're covering all their bases and looking into all the options available to them.

From the sounds of things they're a focusing on whats best's for the competition as a whole more so then what's the best expansion opportunity, and that's a good thing because if the best opportunity only has a bad outcome then they need to make more opportunities with better outcomes.

No point in jumping off the building before checking to see if the door to the stairs is unlocked.

It also sounds like the expansion review is also being used as a rationalisation review, which is a good idea because a review into the structure of the competition and the spread of the teams needs to happen and if they actually held a rationalisation review and the media found out about it the hysteria would derail any research they were attempting.

There was a comment on another forum about the Wellington bid and the audio/statement read was something like this;

"The NRL is due to begin considering expansion next year but work has already begun and understands that officials plan to look at the competition as if they were starting afresh in 2018 and determine where teams should be located."

The Great Dane

First Grade

The only saving grace is the "not necessary" bit. However this has now been trotted out by Grant, Smith and this unnamed official. Can be read as one of two ways 1. That their will be relocation or merger to keep number at 16 but bring in new areas or 2. That there will be no new clubs but more games played on the road.

Given how conservative the NRL and commission have been ove rthe last two years it is very hard to think that number 1 is an option they are willing to take on. So that means no new clubs, crumbs being continued to be fed to places like Perth and Gosford and little hope we will see the game grow to any great heights in the next decade.

Of course I could be pleasantly surprised and they could announce 4 new teams to come in lol

Or option 3 they're trying keep to things on the down low as it's very early days in the review and they don't want to falsely get anyone's hopes up yet because they haven't even decided whether they want to expand yet!

I thought that they had made it pretty clear from the start that the whole point of the review was to look into the feasibility of expansion and if it is found to be feasible then which areas should be targeted for expansion.

BTW I wouldn't rule out rationalisation if I were you. The ARL hired the guy that pushed for the AFL to rationalise in the 90s, are mostly controlled by people with business backgrounds and not footy backgrounds (that means less emotional attachment to the clubs) and have been saying lots of things that make it sound like they're at least looking into rationalisation. Not saying that it will happen, just that stranger things have happened.

There was a comment on another forum about the Wellington bid and the audio/statement read was something like this;

"The NRL is due to begin considering expansion next year but work has already begun and understands that officials plan to look at the competition as if they were starting afresh in 2018 and determine where teams should be located."

I remember reading something along those lines as well, and it's a good thing as they should be looking into as many possibilities as possible.

Latest posts