What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Head coach backs head stomper

grouch

First Grade
Some of these quotes from our coach make me wonder if he's suffered some sort of head stomping related brain damage himself. Wow. This is what we've been reduced to.

"It was a man v man. Unfortunately he pleaded guilty, he got convicted, he went to jail and he is still in jail.
“I think that is a really tough lesson to learn for a young person.”
McGregor was adamant Packer had paid a heavy price in comparison to some “third and fourth offenders” and “people who hit women”.
He explained: “To be out of the game for 18 months and to be behind bars without his family for 12 months ... again, I don’t condone what happened but I think it is a really tough sentence when you look at what happens out there for third and fourth offenders and people who hit women.”
Asked if he believed the NRL should allow Packer to make an immediate return, McGregor added: “In my opinion they should have a complete review over it and that is the choice that they have to make.
“Would I welcome him through the gates to coach him and mentor him, absolutely.
“He is going to have to work. How can you do the courses that you may have to do (if he is not allowed to play for six months).
“There is no tougher penalty than being away from your family for 12 months.
“I have looked into it and I am sure you can do your homework on it.
“But first assault, two years jail, 12 months good behaviour ... it was an unfortunate incident which was alcohol fuelled ... it was man v man. The fight happened and unfortunately it finished like it did but I think 12 months is a really tough lesson.”
About adhering to a possible alcohol ban, McGregor added: “I would say that would be something that the league would look at and I think if it came down to it Russell would obey to what he needs to.
“Again, it is a tough sentence. When you think about it 12 months jail, 18 months out of rugby league and if he was to sit another six months out how does he feed his family for the next six months?
“If he has to do four of five different courses where does he find time when he is working full-time to feed the family.
“It is an interesting one for the NRL. It is a lot different to the other ones that are happening at the moment.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...149744676?nk=8e7f5683ba308d233fa24053fc37152f

TruSaint

Referee
Unfortunately he pleaded guilty, he got convicted

Lost me right there Paul.

Mary, do me a favour and stay away from the press on matters like this.

Man v man? Man v floor more like it.

Just say that the guy did his time and move on, stop comparing and deflecting the case.

"Unfortunately, he pleaded guilty ? ". WTF.

So he should have pled not guilty ?

grouch

First Grade
Unfortunately he pleaded guilty, he got convicted

Lost me right there Paul.

Mary, do me a favour and stay away from the press on matters like this.

Man v man? Man v floor more like it.

Just say that the guy did his time and move on, stop comparing and deflecting the case.

"Unfortunately, he pleaded guilty ? ". WTF.

So he should have pled not guilty ?
"The fight happened and unfortunately it finished like it did"

Unfortunately finished with a head stomping, you mean Paul?

God-King Dean

Immortal
If I could be bothered looking for them, I could find half a dozen arrogant/stupid by McGregor since he's taken over.

I think his first one, "Yeah, putting Dugan to centre was a mistake, eh?" sums up what an arrogant wanker he is.

TruSaint

Referee
If I could be bothered looking for them, I could find half a dozen arrogant/stupid by McGregor since he's taken over.

I think his first one, "Yeah, putting Dugan to centre was a mistake, eh?" sums up what an arrogant wanker he is.

I remember that one mate.

It was akin to Pricey saying " some got their pants pulled down " after a win in a press conference.
Classy... NOT.

More importantly, isnt this stuff screened prior to publication?
I mean he sounds like the defence counsel for Packer.

bottle

Coach
I want Packer.
What I don't want is our coach making public social commentary trying to mitigate in some way what Packer did, and/or influence the NRL's decision. That task is one that our clubs administrators can justifiably take up.
Mary needs to coach to what he has.

Not a good look for McGregor to be doing this. Again I accept he was probably only answering questions put to him. Some circumspection wouldn't go astray though.

Gomarchin

Juniors

I will go on record now and say that Mary will be no better than Price with regards to our performance on the table. He is all talk and the only thing he is good at is self promotion.

hazzbeen

Bench

Yea with you on that ..... oozes with arrogance....

dragonreddy

Juniors
Geez ,this just confirms what a lot of people have been saying about the club being at the lowest point in many years.

What a sob story about Packer , he is a grown man who made the decision to be out on the piss and bash someone and then stomp his head, hardly the upstanding family man that he is now being portrayed as, not to mention the pissing on the field incident ,this bloke has proven he has little respect for anyone and yet the clown we are calling our coach feels the need to go into bat for him .

I wonder how Packer's victim is, I'm betting he wasn't on a six figure income to tide him over while he recovered from his injuries.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Geez ,this just confirms what a lot of people have been saying about the club being at the lowest point in many years.

What a sob story about Packer , he is a grown man who made the decision to be out on the piss and bash someone and then stomp his head, hardly the upstanding family man that he is now being portrayed as, not to mention the pissing on the field incident ,this bloke has proven he has little respect for anyone and yet the clown we are calling our coach feels the need to go into bat for him .

I wonder how Packer's victim is I'm betting he wasn't on a six figure income to tide him over while he recovered from his injuries.

Its Ok Reddy mate... dont worry.

It was man v man :roll::roll::roll:

dragonreddy

Juniors
I will go on record now and say that Mary will be no better than Price with regards to our performance on the table. He is all talk and the only thing he is good at is self promotion.

I'll second that , he certainly will need to do a lot of self promotion to erase the comments he has just gone to print with in this article,obviously nowhere near as smart as all the optimists are hoping him to be .

He is as dumb as dogshit.

Rob Dragon

Juniors
I am a fan of McGregor's (unlike many on this forum) and I also believe that Packer should be allowed to play upon release from gaol (weather it is with us or not I don't care), BUT Mary your comments on this issue today are bloody ridiculous. Shut your mouth and let the proper authorities make their decision. These are comments unbecoming of a person in a position of authority. Mary, coach the team and keep social commentary to social commentators.

saint.nick

Coach
Mary, coach the team and keep social commentary to social commentators.

Who are f**king useless anyway. People who decide to go on Today or Sunrise to tell the world what we're already bloody thinking, and then act like their words are revelation.

The Nick

Bench
It's pretty obvious that his intention here is to publicly pressure the NRL into registering the contract. I've made my feelings on Packer pretty clear in previous posts, but I'm not going to criticise the coach for trying to assemble the best team available. That's what he gets paid to do.