What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glenn Stewart opens up on Rabbitohs, Manly and Michael Maguire

• by: Dean Ritchie Exclusive
  • December 17, 2014 12:00AM
  • 1 comments

GLENN Stewart pulled on the famous South Sydney jumper for the first time on Tuesday and caught a glimpse of himself in a glass door that leads into the player’s tunnel at Redfern Oval.

“Gee I look different. Really strange,” Stewart admitted.
Stewart, 30, spoke exclusively with The Daily Telegraph about his surprise move to Redfern, Sam Burgess, Michael Maguire, his controversial departure from Manly, Sea Eagles teammates and how he will return this coming season after a fractured ankle.
Some are already saying Stewart will replace Burgess. Not so, according to Stewart.
“I have been told a few times by Souths fans that I have big shoes to fill by replacing Sam Burgess,” Stewart said.
“I certainly won’t be trying to replace Sam Burgess. I don’t think anyone could anyway, especially looking at a couple of the games he played, the grand final in particular.
“We have completely games as well. I’d be an idiot to come in and think I could play like him. I can’t. I’ve got other strengths hopefully and a passing game and I’ll be looking to use my strengths here to help the team. Most importantly I have to fit into Madge’s (coach Michael Maguire) game plan.”
NEW JUMPER
After being in maroon and white for 12 years, Stewart is now in myrtle green and cardinal red.
“It’s definitely different,” he said.
“It’s a big change but it’s been a good change. Looking back, it was probably a change I needed. Coming here, a big thing I have noticed the average age is 21 or 22 where back at Manly it’s maybe 29. I feel like the young blokes have given me a big freshen-up, especially I am now back on the training field and trying to keep up with them. It will be good for my fitness. And I definitely feel younger mentally. I know Souths have a really proud history.”
GRAND FINAL
Stewart watched the grand final from his northside home, admiring the way Souths dismantled Canterbury during the latter stages of the second half.
“I thought Souths were pretty dominant for the last month of the finals,” Stewart said.
“They got better each game. It was a grinding grand final in the first half but they ran away with it and probably deserved that score in the end.”
Asked could Souths go back-to-back, Stewart said: “It’s so hard — every week everyone is trying to knock you off. It is relentless. When you haven’t won the grand final, you can have lulls during the year but when you are the premiers, no team takes you lightly. They make you work for every win.”
MANLY
Stewart left in sad circumstances but still walked away having helped Manly to ten successive finals series and two premierships.
“It obviously wasn’t the ideal finish, the way it all played out,” he said.“Manly has been such a big part of my life, I have great times and great memories there. Two grand final wins and a couple of losses. The experiences over the years were great “I went through the rebuilding phase after the Northern Eagles. The Penn family have just bought the club again so hopefully that’s a good thing.”
THE DEPARTURE
A Quantum-aligned director, Phil Sidney, told the club not to sign Stewart. Sidney has now gone, Stewart though still feels some pain.
“I was more disappointed the way it happened,” Stewart said.
“I wanted to be straight-up with the club and asked them to be straight-up with me. I feel I got the run-around a little bit rather than them giving a straight answer, which would have been fine. They were entitled to their reasons, injuries and stuff, but I was reading more in the papers than I was being told by people at the club.”
BROOKVALE BROTHERHOOD
Stewart was buoyed by the staunch public support he attracted from senior players including Jamie Lyon, Steve Matai, Anthony Watmough, Kieran Foran and, of course, brother Brett. Watmough left for Parramatta.
“That was flattering, getting that from all the boys,” he said.
“I felt sorry for a couple of them that copped a lot of flak for opening their mouth when the club didn’t want them to. We were a close-knit unit for a lot of years. We all feel very strongly as friends. I appreciated the support that came from them.”
THE INJURY
Stewart fractured his ankle back in round eight last year, further complications meant he didn’t play again. He underwent two operations but will be back fresh, fit and ready in 2015.
“The injury is going great — I have been working really hard with the physio and rehab team here since pretty much a week after they won the grand final,” Stewart said.
“I am ahead of schedule and nearly back to full training with the boys and hoping not to miss out on too many of the trial games.”
MICHAEL MAGUIRE
“I get on really well with ‘Madge’,” Stewart said.
“Full credit to him for all the staff he has put here and how he has got this club back to being so competitive. There are little bits Des (Hasler) in Madge, how he turned Manly around. Des is really structured and very professional and Madge is like that. He always wants the best out of his staff and players.”

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/spor...-michael-maguire/story-fnp0lyn3-1227158493368

MARSHALL ZHUKOV

Juniors
Stewart would be saying the same thing even if he joined the Raiders- I want to see a time when a player signs with a new club and say's i really hate this club and the only reason I am here is they are paying me more than any other club would pay me- But in saying this I will give 100% at training and in the game as I have previously done with my other club(s).

It's all Never Mind the Bollocks stuff to me

MattJ

Juniors
Stewart would be saying the same thing even if he joined the Raiders- I want to see a time when a player signs with a new club and say's i really hate this club and the only reason I am here is they are paying me more than any other club would pay me- But in saying this I will give 100% at training and in the game as I have previously done with my other club(s).

Well, no offence shit stain, but your opinion on anything Souths related is never going to be anything but negative tripe, so what makes you think anyone reading this section of the forum could give two f**ks about what you think of this article?

Snappy

Coach
Well, no offence shit stain, but your opinion on anything Souths related is never going to be anything but negative tripe, so what makes you think anyone reading this section of the forum could give two f**ks about what you think of this article?

You mad bro ? maybe cause you know it's true.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Glenn Stewart + Dylan Walker + Alex Johnston on the right = killer combos.

I think Walker will play with Reddy mate on the right.

On left I expect Goodwin with Johnston.

I wouldn't have Goodwin and Reddy on left side that would be disastrous and a big target for the opposition.

But Walker and Johnston can float around the field so I'm sure Madge will look at set plays at times in matches like we saw last year with both Walker and Johnston building on that more.

Its exciting the options we have and what a fully fit Glenn Stewart can offer us.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Would you like to see Trent Merrin say that if he signs with Roosters?

Players obviously aren't gonna come down to such a low level. Duuuurrrrr!

They think professionally unlike you. You're 1 of the Roosters fans who is unprofessional and brain is uneducated.

In fact I reckon you're jealous....... the Roosters dont have someone like Glenn Stewart replacing SBW.

Glenn Stewart likes a classy coach like Maguire who's very professional and has a strong culture with the playing group. Glenn knows he obviously couldn't stay at Manly and Souths were his best option. THE PRIDE OF THE LEAGUE!!

Shit stain,I will pay that!

MARSHALL ZHUKOV

Juniors

:lol: :crazy: get out of the wrong side of the vermin burrough did we shatt

MARSHALL ZHUKOV

Juniors
Would you like to see Trent Merrin say that if he signs with Roosters?

Players obviously aren't gonna come down to such a low level. Duuuurrrrr!

They think professionally unlike you. You're 1 of the Roosters fans who is unprofessional and brain is uneducated.

In fact I reckon you're jealous....... the Roosters dont have someone like Glenn Stewart replacing SBW.

Glenn Stewart likes a classy coach like Maguire who's very professional and has a strong culture with the playing group. Glenn knows he obviously couldn't stay at Manly and Souths were his best option. THE PRIDE OF THE LEAGUE!!

how many games will Stewart play before he Breaks down - mmm 5/6/7?? - too injury prone- no one can replace SBW but we do have some up and comers like Big Kane Evans/Willis Meehan for an example and some others which i wont reveal as your lot will try and buy them for sure.

Last edited:
how many games will Stewart play before he Breaks down - mmm 5/6/7?? - too injury prone- no one can replace SBW but we do have some up and comers like Big Kane Evans/Willis Meehan for an example and some others which i wont reveal as your lot will try and buy them for sure.

24 games

rabbitohs95

Bench

Glenn Stewart could be out for the season but he'd still contribute more than SBW did last year lmao.

MattJ

Juniors
:lol: :crazy: get out of the wrong side of the vermin burrough did we shatt

Not at all Marshall, just getting tired of seeing your negative slant continually pop up on every single thread posted in this section of the forum.
You don't like south Sydney... everyone gets it, why keep posting here?

MattJ

Juniors
You mad bro ? maybe cause you know it's true.

no I'm not "mad bro", and whether or not there is any truth to what was posted is beside the point, I am just tired of having to read that dickheads continual garbage on every thread.
There is just something a bit sad about pouring over every post in a teams thread you clearly don't like, just to try and put a negative emphasis on everything possible.

natheel

Coach

Only time that would happen is if the poor bloke would have to be in the same side as Robbie Farah

Rabbits20

Immortal
Yeah, he's seriously "lost the plot" and getting worse.

You're right there he's going further downhill.

His brain seems to be deteriorating.

Remember how cocky he was about Rorters going back to back.

He was completely wrong and he couldn't handle it.

When you give it out you have to take it back. But he's a very crazy sore loser.

Latest posts