What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would the Ranfurly Shield work for the NRL?

unforgiven

Bench
Once we start talking about doing something because of gambling, you've lost me.

Like I said it works at park level, because back in the day this was the pinnacle of the sport (not so much anymore).

I didn't say lets to it so we can gamble on it, at no point did I say we should do it because of gambling. I only raised that because the first I had heard of this concept was when Joel Caine spoke about it on The Footy Show last year and the fact it was spoken about and has a market on it means there is at least some token interest in the concept.

I despise the way gambling has infiltrated sport in this country and the industries attempts to normalise the practice.

We have it in group 4. Its called the spicer cup. No one really gives a shit. In fact quite regularly someone has to figure out who has it because it gets lost or someone doesn't pass it on, largely because teams often don't even know they've won it. Its a throwback to a long forgotten era. They could dig up some old trophy for the purpose like the amco cup and reuse it for the purpose and clubs like cronulla or parra who never win anything might take some joy from winning it occasionally but by and large I doubt anyone would treat it with great respect, largely for the simple fact you only have to win one random game to take it, as long as it happens to be the right game. And ffs don't give the clubs cash for winning it. Don't the f**king NRL clubs already get enough cash that could be spent elsewhere?

Canard

Immortal
We have it in group 4. Its called the spicer cup. No one really gives a shit. In fact quite regularly someone has to figure out who has it because it gets lost or someone doesn't pass it on, largely because teams often don't even know they've won it. Its a throwback to a long forgotten era. They could dig up some old trophy for the purpose like the amco cup and reuse it for the purpose and clubs like cronulla or parra who never win anything might take some joy from winning it occasionally but by and large I doubt anyone would treat it with great respect, largely for the simple fact you only have to win one random game to take it, as long as it happens to be the right game. And ffs don't give the clubs cash for winning it. Don't the f**king NRL clubs already get enough cash that could be spent elsewhere?

Someone came up with the princely sum of $25K, thats about as much incentive as saying "free tote bag".

Todd Greenburg spends that on lunch sometimes.

Smith spends that much on hair products each month.

But it would probably run a group or small nation's comp for a year.

Parra

Referee
You guys miss the point.

It is about defending the shield, not winning it.

It puts emphasis on the home field. Creating a fortress. It only becomes interesting when a record is being defended - a string of unbroken home victories regardless of the opponent.

No-one would care when it changes hands, it becomes interesting when it doesn't change hands for a while.

watcher

Juniors
Really the Ranfurly lost it's major appeal when Rugby went professional. The best Ranfurly Shield stories were the little teams like Marlborough (part of Mako's now in NPC) beat Canterbury in 1973.

It is really impossible for these smaller Heartland amateur teams to compete against professional teams. In fact I have heard it mentioned that it may become an OHS issue. I admire the brainstorming but I can't see it working.

TheDalek079

Bench
back in the day NZ rugby didn't have a proper comp, just the provinces playing each other. So the Shield became the main prize for the provinces to aspire to. It's importance from those days has carried over into the current era where there's now a premiership. in the NRL there's already the premiership which is well established and I think it would be tough to try and manufacture an NRL version of the Shield. Might be able to be done, but it would be tough

Bulldog Force

Referee
It would give the clubs another reason to put out an alternative jersey.

Interesting concept however i feel there is already so much going on in the season (women in league, indigenous, heritage, rivalry) that this would just fade into the background.

Anything to gain more interest for club games at origin period is worth a look

I'm of the opinion that there's too much going on in the game already. Why add more? Even this off-season is shorter considering the Auckland 9s are happening in January!

TheVelourFog

First Grade
some people must have short attention spans if their interest can't be held for the 4 days of the week when there isn't a game being played

this shield doesn't sound like a workable idea, sorry

Latest posts