What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A-League Expansion?

IowaRL

Juniors
So, the A-League is at 10 teams at the moment, and the question is, when they expand, where will they go? I doubt we will see 16 teams this decade, but we may see 12 in the next year or so. Thoughts on where we will see these new teams, and where the 16 (when it comes) may be from?

I'm thinking we need to stay out of Sydney and Melbourne for now with more teams, Canberra may be a good choice.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
They're more likely to put a team in Cronulla-Sutherland than anywhere else in NSW. Other than that, likely a second QLD team.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
They already have 2 in Sydney. The Gong could be more likely.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Hopefully if Wollongong come in, they be called the Wolves & not go for some puncy name.

I'm okay with Canberra, it's like there's anything better to do down there.

Cronulla is a terrible idea IMO.

Mr. Sharky

Juniors
Hopefully if Wollongong come in, they be called the Wolves & not go for some puncy name.

I agree wholeheartedly on all points.

A Wollongong team has to be called the Wolves and if a Canberra team came in it has to be called the Cosmos.

A Cronulla team is absurd, the area is Sydney FC territory and it would make a lot more sense for the Sky Blues to take the occasional game down here whenever Allianz is unavailable and for FFA Cup games.

saint.nick

Coach

I think they could do with our Illawarra mafia to push their bid...

alien

Referee
a macarthur-illawarra side perhaps? they could play home games at wollongong and campbelltown stadiums

a macarthur-illawarra side perhaps? they could play home games at wollongong and campbelltown stadiums

I come from Brisbane, so I'm not exactly an expert on Sydney/Wollongong geography. However, when holidaying in Sydney, I once took a train trip from Sydney's Central station to the closest station to WIN Stadium to see a Broncos away match and it took forever. These places are surely nowhere near each other.

alien

Referee
I come from Brisbane, so I'm not exactly an expert on Sydney/Wollongong geography. However, when holidaying in Sydney, I once took a train trip from Sydney's Central station to the closest station to WIN Stadium to see a Broncos away match and it took forever. These places are surely nowhere near each other.

Yes they aren't that close.

data=U4aSnIyhBFNIJ3A8fCzUmaVIwyWq6RtIfB4QKiGq_w,L3laxpfvRhq7s6iiiPwvgVNtzxYIi0eNupji9IRHWMe2ShxSxDkS-oQV4pmEnW32cXdcfbTOtMQovqjD0tE6QgbKmwkGxa37GqoXlT6MiCaGKyQU2vyXeeSvk1hdcrq-nepkB3nayjsTC9zmhKPfr6nSvhb9Lg2pdRHDoe1Ebv3t6Q3ZndgbWeue3-vi4m9nvQqNJWGPoWQuvoEI

As you can probably see, a Wollongong/Campbelltown club could work..

I’m hoping nothing comes of it and no bids are accepted.

I caught the tail end of the A-League Hour on Fox last night and apparently one of the bidders plans to play out of 3 home grounds in 3 different geographic locations. Mark Bosnich thought it one of the stupidest ideas he'd heard of.

Mong

Post Whore
Did you catch how far apart the locations were? We have NRL clubs who have two.

clarency

Juniors
Bids that look good:
Wollongong Wolves
Dandenong
Canberra
Brisbane Strikers

Bids that will look better in 5-6 years:
Macarthur
Southern Expansion
Ipswitch
Brisbane City