What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dave Smith will make a major announcement about the Titans

alien

Referee
The Gold Coast operation isn't glamorous enough for the Gold Coast. That's always been the problem. They need more glam and pretty. They should be hot chicks, buff dudes, party and moneyyyyyy. Most of the Gold Coast is people who have loads of money, wish they did or pretend to. They should be sponsored by a prestige brand like Lexus or if they could land a major digital sponsor like Uber or something that'd be the ticket, really innovative corporate partnerships. Imagine if they had Uber as a sponsor and as part of it members got free Uber or you could get a free Uber ride to the game and back with your ticket. The whole look and feel of the Titans is lame. They need to be more Gold Coast.

I for one DO think they need a complete rebrand, from the name through to the logo, colours and mission. They should be more cashed up bogan and less ... bogan. Their name needs to be slick, sexy, sophisticated, luxury. Top of my head thinking of things like Elites, Magic hell maybe just call them the Gold Coast and have literal GOLD be their branding, colour them gold and have bullions as the freaking logo.

The Suns branding is a lot better but even they don't go far enough with it. They should have NBA style player intros, DJs playing at halftime, poledancing chicks instead of cheerleaders.

The players should be in the news all the time, not for drug offences but because they were spotted partying with twelve chicks Leo Dicaprio style. The need a megastar of marketing to run that show. Speaking of the players they need trendy dudes not Dave Taylors. They need a lot of Islander kids.

They should do whatever it takes to nail Keebra from the Tigers as well.

The NRL doesn't understand how to market to the Gold Coast and never has. They need to be a totally different looking team to the rest. The Titans to me have always felt more Country NSW than Gold Coast.

Edit: A yardstick for the success of the Titans would be how much every other team hates them. The Gold Coast need to be such a jerk off team that everyone hates them but Gold Coast love them. Just like the Gold Coast.

Basically the Titans need to be the Roosters.

goldcoast dolphins would have been a good name

DOLPHINS-FULL0505.png

MsStorm

Bench
I recall when the Storm had the cap scandal, the death-riding of the club was at a all-time high calls from those to kick the club out. Now, the same occur with the Titans in there scandal.

But when the Bulldogs had there cap scandal no-one was calling for them to be kicked out of the competition, perhaps because it was a 'heartland' club. Same with Cronulla and ASADA, instead people got behind the heartland clubs and support them through the tough times.

But when it comes to Storm/Titans it's death-ride away from the heartland in a selfish and insular manner. Looking our for themselves and not the bigger picture as always.

:thumb

bobmar28

Bench
Considering the offences occurred as recently as Dec 2014, Id say this is unlikely.

I think the problem is that the ASADA shmozzle has made everyone very jaded and cynical.

This is Usain Bolt compared to a Glacier in comparison.

In previous years the "evidence" was available long before the sh1t hit the fan just before season kick off. And why didn't this come out in December? Why now?

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
In previous years the "evidence" was available long before the sh1t hit the fan just before season kick off. And why didn't this come out in December? Why now?

What evidence in previous years?

A month or so in legal circles is lighting fast. This is a proper legal process that requires due diligence, unlike ASADA which is pseudo-legal at best

So you think the QCCC charging a Queensland Reds player is a conspiracy against Rugby League??

This is all just deflection on your part though, the real issue is why are these high paid athletes breaking the law and their contractual obligations?

applesauce

Bench
I think people are forgetting Dolphins was going to be the name but Redcliffe threatened legal action and the name got pulled.

dolphin.jpg

9s9oo7.png

bobmar28

Bench
What evidence in previous years?

A month or so in legal circles is lighting fast. This is a proper legal process that requires due diligence, unlike ASADA which is pseudo-legal at best

So you think the QCCC charging a Queensland Reds player is a conspiracy against Rugby League??

This is all just deflection on your part though, the real issue is why are these high paid athletes breaking the law and their contractual obligations?

Any player who does this - if it is true - should be fired. I only have a problem with the timing of the announcement.

Last edited:

Loose Cannon

Bench
I think people are forgetting Dolphins was going to be the name but Redcliffe threatened legal action and the name got pulled.

dolphin.jpg

9s9oo7.png

Colours are fine. Jersey is fine. Dolphins name would have been great. But, damn it, I hate that cartoony shit logo.

oikee

Juniors
I dont think there is too much wrong with the Titans as a club and/or the branding. It is the choices made by administrators that destroyed most of their hard work done.
Myles and Bird are like a pair of bushrangers, ned kelly wannabees.

We all know that sexy sells, and as someone above mentioned, they need to be selling sexy.
I mean to say, this is the Gold Coast, where bronze and aussie and sexy is big business.

Having a pair of hillbillies as captains is why the club cant sell itself.

Bring in some good looking players. Boofheads like Baffoon are better off not being seen.
They need a Cherry or Johnson, a couple of buff Burgess boys and get some hots chicks around them at all times.
You would think they were selling pension homes the way this club acts.
I have seen more action at Ipswich bingo.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...y-embattled-club/story-fni3grk4-1227243733911

Gold Coast Titans drugs saga: Millionaires line up to buy embattled club

Peter Badel
The Courier-Mail
March 02, 2015 12:00AM

A SECRET consortium of multi-millionaires will meet with the NRL to discuss buying Gold Coast’s licence after devising a blueprint to make the Titans a rugby league powerhouse.

In a huge boost for the embattled Titans, a group of Queensland-based corporate white knights are ready to launch a fresh bid after the NRL’s takeover on Tuesday provided greater certainty.

The team of bankers and finance experts are described as “seriously wealthy”.

The consortium first approached the NRL in 2012 during the Titans’ debt crisis and made it clear providing start-up capital of $15 million would not be problematic.

At the time, the NRL opted for a restructure, but the ostensible collapse of the Titans has convinced the governing body to seek external investment once they stabilise the club.

Now the consortium are back on the radar. While co-owner Darryl Kelly will reinvest in the Titans, the 64-year-old does not want to own the club outright after losing at least $5.3 million trying to salvage the wreckage.

That opens the door for the new team of investors, whose interest was legitimate enough for a representative to contact Titans boss Graham Annesley three weeks ago.

The consortium were set to walk away following the cocaine crisis that hit the club, but the NRL’s decision to step in has given the business tycoons confidence in the Titans brand.

The potential investors have spent recent months performing due diligence, even drawing up an ownership model that includes the Titans having a leagues-club style facility to provide additional revenue streams.

A consortium spokesman confirmed the group is ready to ramp-up negotiations with the NRL, who are also helping Newcastle recover from Nathan Tinkler’s ownership saga.

“These people are seriously wealthy, start-up capital is not an issue,” the spokesman told The Courier-Mail.

“When we initially met (in 2012), we looked at around $12 million to $15m (to rebuild the club) and that wasn’t a problem.

“It’s hard to say what they would pay for a NRL licence now the Titans have been taken over, but $3m to $5m would be small fry for these investors.

“Committing funds would not be a problem, but it’s whether the Titans are a viable investment and where and how the funds would be allocated.”

A key plank of the investors’ plan is for the Titans to have diverse income streams. The NRL-controlled club is set to move to Parkwood International golf course in coming weeks as part a $100m redevelopment plan that would cater for a community club.

“The Titans model moving forward has to have more diverse revenue streams than just football,” the spokesman said.

“The NRL are aware of our consortium. Once we can put forward our model and the desire to drive a proper leagues club, hopefully the NRL are interested and then can move forward with some talks.”

The NRL is taking a cautious approach but will consider a buyout package at the right time.

“Our first priority is to stabilise the Titans and rebuild the club so it has a secure financial future,” an NRL spokesman said.

“At an appropriate time, the NRL will welcome approaches from private investors interested in taking over the running of the club.

“However, we have a duty to the players and fans to secure the club’s future first and that is what we will do.”

Kelly, who owned 47.2 per cent of the Titans, welcomed financial aid from the powerful group of businessmen.

“I hope there are some other investors out there but we still have some work to do,” he said.

“Hopefully someone will come on board eventually.”

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The potential investors have spent recent months performing due diligence, even drawing up an ownership model that includes the Titans having a leagues-club style facility to provide additional revenue streams.

I like this!! even if it can only break even, it would be a great way to connect with the local fans on a regular basis and establish the club as a tangible local entity...

BunniesMan

Immortal
Now the Titans are to become a "powerhouse". In the last few years I have heard Penrith, NZ, Newcastle, Wests insist they're the next superclub.

It is a sport with a hard salary cap. No club is ever going to be a powerhouse. No club will win a streak of premierships.

Anybody promising this is promising something they know they cannot deliver.

Canard

Immortal
Now the Titans are to become a "powerhouse". In the last few years I have heard Penrith, NZ, Newcastle, Wests insist they're the next superclub.

It is a sport with a hard salary cap. No club is ever going to be a powerhouse. No club will win a streak of premierships.

Anybody promising this is promising something they know they cannot deliver.

Ill take a wild guess, and suggest they are talking about off the field.

I know that's a huge stretch mentally for some.

Latest posts