What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Foran overpriced?

Is Foran overpriced

• Yes

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 23 59.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

T.S Quint

Coach
That bit OA said about Manly's forwards is so true.
He has looked good behind their relative weak pack. If our pack plays to its potential then he will just be that much better.

emjaycee

Coach
That bit OA said about Manly's forwards is so true.
He has looked good behind their relative weak pack. If our pack plays to its potential then he will just be that much better.

Or be overpriced cause we wont need someone of his skill level, just like how the Dogs didn't last year.

spiderdan

Bench
Or be overpriced cause we wont need someone of his skill level, just like how the Dogs didn't last year.
i hope that was tongue in cheek. given they left homebush with their arses in slings after the gf i'd say the dogs could have done with a player like foran. i think hodkinson is a great kicker in general play but only a so-so ball player. foran can create space off the back of good go forward and lead players into those spaces.

i reckon hayne would have hearted to have a player like foran to help create space for him while he was with us. i don't think we've had any genuine ball players that can create opportunities since mateo, and before him, tim smith when his headspace wasn't so messed up.

i am very hopeful the grapevine is on the money with the foran signing. i've thought highly of his playing ability for a long while now.

emjaycee

Coach
i hope that was tongue in cheek. given they left homebush with their arses in slings after the gf i'd say the dogs could have done with a player like foran. i think hodkinson is a great kicker in general play but only a so-so ball player. foran can create space off the back of good go forward and lead players into those spaces.

i reckon hayne would have hearted to have a player like foran to help create space for him while he was with us. i don't think we've had any genuine ball players that can create opportunities since mateo, and before him, tim smith when his headspace wasn't so messed up.

i am very hopeful the grapevine is on the money with the foran signing. i've thought highly of his playing ability for a long while now.

Not totally tongue-in-cheek.

3 things Souths and Dogs had in common last year - neither had Foran, both had a better forward pack than Manly and both made the GF.

Where do you rate Foran against all other halves in the comp because only one club can have him at a time?

carson

Juniors
He'll be an asset...but I do find it a little depressing that our entire spine has been bought.

Someone

Bench
I hate comparing halves because literally every one is different.

But people seem to be forgetting this is a bloke that has won a comp and steered New Zealand for years. He is all class, no niggling bullshit in his game, comes with no real negatives other than the fact he may be a little overpriced.

He has made DCE and Johnson look good for years, and could do the same for Sandow.

spiderdan

Bench
Not totally tongue-in-cheek.

3 things Souths and Dogs had in common last year - neither had Foran, both had a better forward pack than Manly and both made the GF.

Where do you rate Foran against all other halves in the comp because only one club can have him at a time?
fair enough. manly seemed depleted by injuries but have still given the comp a fair shake the last two years.

taking age into account and what he has shown over the years (i think he is still only 24/25), if i was given the option of signing a half for a few years, i'd pick him ahead of every half in the comp without thinking twice about it.

he may not have as good a kicking game as cronk or be as creative as thurston or johnson but he has been an integral part of a team that has given the comp a good go since he was brought into firsts (and did i mention he's still only 24/25).

he's about to come into his best years and is a proven performer in the season proper and finals games. evans may be a better player overall but he's shown he is willing to make it all about him by holding the sea-wankers to ransom over his contract previously. can't blame a guy for wanting the best deal (and he had shown his value had gone up) but when he demanded an upgrade mid contract a few years back he showed his cards.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
So the only good players in the NRL are the 34 that competed in the NRL grand final last year and we should only be after their signature?

spiderdan

Bench
So the only good players in the NRL are the 34 that competed in the NRL grand final last year and we should only be after their signature?
that was why morts and robson were in such high demand in early 2010. it would also mean shane perry should have had contracts being thrown at him after winning in 2006.

there is some validity to what mjc is saying though. the reasoning just doesn't take into account consistency over a period of time for an individual (and i think he was also maybe making the point about forwards playing their part in whether or not a half plays to their ability).

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I'm not sure he offers much and I can just see the boards blowing up next year if he doesn't play like an immortal from day one.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
@TER If he doesn't offer much Manly wouldn't be trying so hard to re-sign him; the Roosters, and Bulldogs as well as us wouldn't be trying to so hard to lure him away from Manly if he offered "not much".

@Spiderdan, and the point I'm trying to make is that Foran has played so well each year that he's constantly picked for the N.Z team, that Manly are consistently making the finals despite having a terrible forward pack. If we bring Foran across to us I think he'll be given a lot more time and space to work than he did at Manly. We've got our forwards set for a few years at least now, I don't think we have the money nor the Top 17 space to fit in another marquee forward as well as developing and keeping the best players we currently have.

The Colonel

Immortal
If we don't sign quality players the same people bitch and moan that we aren't doing enough to recruit them to the club. Foran is worth what ever he is being offered. Particularly given the cap increases. To wait for the academy players to mature and not sign someone like Foran if he is available based on that is even more ridiculous.[

This is the most sensible comment on this topic, agenda driven waste of a poll :crazy::crazy:

It's common sense. Something that is in short supply.

hindy111

Post Whore
Who cares if can fit him under cap...Id rather pay overs for foran than previous years.
I mean 300k for Loko(didn't play) prob the same for Mossop. Lussicks on ways overs and so is Norman and Sandow.
If we are paying a few 100k overs for Foran so be it, we just have to be more Froogle wit other players, and if we are a good team we probably can afford too offer others less to be at a team who can win the comp rather than one who is bottom 4.

I reckon being a top 4 team you could offer most guys 10% less. So 200k to play at a top 4 side or 220k to play at titans/saints-what would you chose?
Now that 10% over the 6 million cap is 600k. If we spent 250k overs on foran well we save it in the long run wont we?

If we don't sign quality players the same people bitch and moan that we aren't doing enough to recruit them to the club. Foran is worth what ever he is being offered. Particularly given the cap increases. To wait for the academy players to mature and not sign someone like Foran if he is available based on that is even more ridiculous.

As an outsider looking in, I think you are correct. Look at what happened to Parramatta in the late 1980s and early 1990s. They'd had a crop of gun players come thru together (e.g. Kenny, Grothe, Ella, Sterling) and thought after success like that they could rely on their own junior development than signing big name players from outside. Problem is players of the calibre named come along one in ever couple of generations. By the time this realisation dawned on them, the roster had been whittled down so much Parramatta struggled to attract "name" players for years.

Also if you look at that Parramatta side of the golden generation, they had recruited quality players from outside the club to supplement those they had developed themselves (e.g. Mick Cronin, Steve Edge, Ray Price).

Five eight is a position of need for the Eels and Foran would fill that need for your club more than adequately.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
if we don't sign quality players the same people bitch and moan that we aren't doing enough to recruit them to the club. Foran is worth what ever he is being offered. Particularly given the cap increases. To wait for the academy players to mature and not sign someone like foran if he is available based on that is even more ridiculous.

this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this

Latest posts