What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings and More Crap XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Poo Many won that grand final with extremely talented young halves. Look at them, CHERRY EVANS is a QLD player and Australian player and FORAN is the NZ five eight in a team thats beaten Australia twice in the past few years. They are a class above NORMAN and SANDOW.

Well mate, both of them had done f**k all at rep level until Foran's recent tournament behind the dominant Kiwi pack. Cherry-Evans still hasn't succeeded at rep level.

I'm tipping both of them to look pretty ordinary this year. Sandow will look like a world beater (in attack at least) while an injury free Norman will carve up and feed endless headlines about how Parra foolishly want(ed) to replace him with Foran, and that Wayne Bennett wants him back at Brisbane.

Parra47

Juniors
Oh I hope your right Poo, I really do. But I think both the Manly halves will once again have very good seasons and Sandow and Norman will once again have very inconsistent seasons. And how you can say Cherry Evans and Foran have done "f**k all at rep level", wow poo. The mind boggles at that comment.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Because Foran was crap for the Kiwis prior to last year and Cherry-Evans has been nothing but a passenger for Queensland.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Mate I certainly admit the pair of them have excelled at club level, but until this year they have been surrounded by outstanding team mates. I think the Sea Eagles' squad has really come back to the field this year. I wouldn't be surprised if we finished ahead of them.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
f**k poo, I'm starting to agree with you more and more......:crazy:
Please help me God, I do not want to be led astray. :sarcasm:

Parra47

Juniors
Thats ok Poo, we can disagree on it. I think the Manly halves are right up there and simply outclass our halves by a long way. I don't think theres much improvement in Sandow, he's been around a long time now and always been the same. Norman can improve but from what I've seen is not in the same class as Cherry Evans or Foran. We have potentially very good forward pack this year that will help our halves. But in my opinion our halves are not grand final winning halves where as the manly halves are. If we got Foran it'd be a huge step forward for us.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I agree the Manly halves are better than ours. How much better is the question.

But despite DCE/Foran being better than Sandow/Norman, our forwards are now that much better than Manly's that I expect our halves to outperform theirs this year.

Sandow was an outstanding attacking player (and a shit defender) before coming to Parra. In his first three full years in first grade ('09-'11) Souths scored more points than any other team. They missed the finals because of their weak defence (and Sandow was the biggest culprit).

Then he came to Parra and suddenly it wasn't easy any more. But our defence went to shit too. That's why he lost confidence.

Anyway my point is that the time and space afforded to a half is heavily based on his tight forwards. The outside backs and edge forwards determine the quality of his options (including helping to isolate defenders).

Someone

Bench
So did they win in 2011 because they had great halves or did they win because they had decent halves on the cheap?

a mixture of both.

They only won in 2011 because Melbourne had to face their boogie side in the prelim and had they played any of the other 14 teams in the 2013 decider they would have won it.

Manly have had sustained success with DCE and Foran as their halves partners, winning comps comes down to a lot of luck and timing.

Chipmunk

Coach
So did they win in 2011 because they had great halves or did they win because they had decent halves on the cheap?

Manly being Premiers in 2011 is interesting, because they won a comp with Kitey being the only established front rower in the team. Watmough of course played in the middle, but Joe Galuvao even at that stage wasnt what you called a front row enforcer. We lost a comp in 2009 with a front row rotation that would've blown that Manly's team apart easily that year...

Interesting times....

So...how did they win a comp that year again?

Surely their halves 'on the cheap' wouldn't have won them a comp???

spiderdan

Bench
a mixture of both.

They only won in 2011 because Melbourne had to face their boogie side in the prelim and had they played any of the other 14 teams in the 2013 decider they would have won it.

Manly have had sustained success with DCE and Foran as their halves partners, winning comps comes down to a lot of luck and timing.
i think there were a lot of people, including myself, that year who said not only do manly have the best young halfs pairing in the nrl, but they were the best pair.

I like a lot of pou's reasoning for various things, but this is one I don't agree with.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Manly being Premiers in 2011 is interesting, because they won a comp with Kitey being the only established front rower in the team. Watmough of course played in the middle, but Joe Galuvao even at that stage wasnt what you called a front row enforcer. We lost a comp in 2009 with a front row rotation that would've blown that Manly's team apart easily that year...

Interesting times....

So...how did they win a comp that year again?

Surely their halves 'on the cheap' wouldn't have won them a comp???

If they weren't cheap the club wouldn't have been able to surround them with:

Stewart
Matai
Lyon
Stewart
Williams
Watmough
Kite
Ballin

As for go-forward, Rose was one of the best in the game. That's why clubs keep signing him despite being a defensive liability who only plays 30 minutes.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
i think there were a lot of people, including myself, that year who said not only do manly have the best young halfs pairing in the nrl, but they were the best pair.

I like a lot of pou's reasoning for various things, but this is one I don't agree with.

I agree they look outstanding, at least at club level. But look what they've had to work with. The Manly team has definitely been greater than the sum of its parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.