What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merrin a Panther

TRENT MERRIN SIGNS WITH PANTHERS!

Panthers CEO Justin Pascoe has today confirmed that St. George-Illawarra forward Trent Merrin has accepted an offer to join the Panthers for the next three seasons.
“Trent is an outstanding footballer and person and will add enormous experience and value to our existing squad and also our young forwards coming through our pathway program.
“We are extremely honoured that Trent has chosen to join our organisation in 2016 for three years and it gives us a great amount of satisfaction that all the work we are doing on and off the field is proving to be attractive to those outside the organisation” says Mr Pascoe.
Executive General Manager Rugby League, Phil Gould, says Merrin is a welcome addition to the Panthers team.
"We are absolutely delighted to confirm Trent Merrin will be joining the Panthers for the next three seasons. This is one of the most significant player signings this club has made in its 49 year history.
“Trent has been part of a Premiership winning team and already achieved 10 State of Origin appearances for NSW. At 25 years of age we believe Trent is about to enter the prime time of his playing career with his best football still in front of him. Apart from his obvious playing talents, Trent brings valuable experience and leadership qualities to Panthers. We are very excited about this signing"
Out of respect to the St. George-Illawarra club and its fans, Panthers will be making no further comment on this matter until Trent officially joins our club in November 2015.

http://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2015/03/02/trent_merrin_signs_w.html

Blues Riff

Bench
Nice work from the management. Merrin confirmed. Peachy extended. All the young stars kept, gives us a comfortable 3-4 year window for success.

Edit- EAD Rhyno.

drago brelli

Bench
What does it say about the production line in the Illawarra that can turn out Merrin, Morris, Bird and Hastings then let them go. Was it Jack Gibson or the great BDB Elias who said, "Ya can't keep 'em all".

grandorient

Bench
Can any of you guys confirm the price. I'm hearing $750k a season, which simply can't be correct.

GO

Panther Pete

Juniors
Can any of you guys confirm the price. I'm hearing $750k a season, which simply can't be correct.

GO

I believe the $750 figure came from the Telegraph so that should tell you something. Unless Merrin, his manager or Penrith come out and confirm his salary it's all speculation.

maple_69

Bench
Whether you agree with the signing or not, it's another great sign that Ivan and Gus have built a club that players want to play for. Our recruitment has been exceptional in the last 2 years. Mansour, Manu, Brown, Taylor, Peachey, Kite, Soward, Wallace, Koroisau, Merrin, Naiqama, Nabuli, Whare, Segeyaro is a ridiculous list of recruits. Kite and Naiqama have probably been the biggest disappointments, however, I think Naiqama could have been good if he had the opportunities and still think Kite could have a good final season with us. This is the first where we've really won a tug a war for a marquee player with some other big clubs who have had big(ger) offers on the table.

betcats

Referee
Whether you agree with the signing or not, it's another great sign that Ivan and Gus have built a club that players want to play for. Our recruitment has been exceptional in the last 2 years. Mansour, Manu, Brown, Taylor, Peachey, Kite, Soward, Wallace, Koroisau, Merrin, Naiqama, Nabuli, Whare, Segeyaro is a ridiculous list of recruits. Kite and Naiqama have probably been the biggest disappointments, however, I think Naiqama could have been good if he had the opportunities and still think Kite could have a good final season with us. This is the first where we've really won a tug a war for a marquee player with some other big clubs who have had big(ger) offers on the table.

I think Mansour debuted for us 2012 but yeah well said.

chrisD

Coach
I believe the $750 figure came from the Telegraph so that should tell you something. Unless Merrin, his manager or Penrith come out and confirm his salary it's all speculation.

Well the Dragons came out swinging when his manager said the Dragons wouldn't negotiate after their first offer, Dragons saying they offered him more than any forward at the club ever, multiple sources were saying I think 600 or 650+. It's not like the Dragons would be low balling their figure in those leaks.

drago brelli

Bench
The figure being tossed about is very close to the mark because the 'Quiet Man' from Brisbane and the Warriors were chasing him. Is he worth it? We are about to find out, my suggestion is no he isn't. His manager is happy though.

Doomednow

Bench
Maybe paid too much, maybe needed a bigger forward. I'll wait and see what happens though. Nice that he chose us.

Kind of hoping he just wanted out of Dragons and we didn't pay 700,000 +.

chrisD

Coach
We tried for the bigger forward, we couldn't get him out of NZ, hopefully we can still get Masoe but really what else were we going to spend the money on? The team is locked up where it needs to be as far into the future as is reasonably achievable and the front row was all that was lacking.