What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Kent: NRL salary cap isn't working

No, they wouldn't exist. NSW and QLD cup receive no where near the exposure of NRL and are lucky to get a couple of thousand to a game. So in your opinion, if you don't watch or want to watch other teams play or travel to watch games you're not a true RL fan? What absolute dribble. The best thing about RL is the tribalism and you do not have to travel or attend every game to be a fan. If the Saints went out, that would be the end of RL for me. If the Rabbitohs were booted out for good this time, would you change your allegiance and support another team?

The Warriors are my team, I'm Welsh (and Welsh speaking) I feel a close affinity to Maoris, and I don't see a problem with people changing their favourite team during their lifetimes, rugby league comes first; I'm currently wearing a NQ Cowboys polo shirt, as I go for them against the flippin B Broncos. I wanted the Roosters to beat the Rabbitohs in the finals series last year as I didn't want S Burgess to ever win a Premiership, after his attitude during 2013. I like George B though, and George should have won the Clive Churchill. And I wore a Rabbitohs rain jacket today.

I booed at S Burgess in St Helens a few weeks ago.

oikee

Juniors
The Warriors are my team, I'm Welsh (and Welsh speaking) I feel a close affinity to Maoris, and I don't see a problem with people changing their favourite team during their lifetimes, rugby league comes first; I'm currently wearing a NQ Cowboys polo shirt, as I go for them against the flippin B Broncos. I wanted the Roosters to beat the Rabbitohs in the finals series last year as I didn't want S Burgess to ever win a Premiership, after his attitude during 2013. I like George B though, and George should have won the Clive Churchill. And I wore a Rabbitohs rain jacket today.

I booed at S Burgess in St Helens a few weeks ago.

Cool,,,,,,,,,,just going back to your 16 teams you would like.
I also think Melbourne should eventually have 2 teams, a derby in a city of 5 -7 million is a must in the future sometime.
Same as having a second Auckland team and second Brisbane team in our heartlands cities.

yobbo84

First Grade
:lol: Wallace? He was developed by Panthers before Broncos poached him after he kicked a 45m field goal to beat them.

Here's a few players we have either developed or had debut for us in our roster.

1. Matt Moylan
2. Josh Mansour
4. George Jennings
5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
6. Will Smith
7. Peter Wallace
8. Sam Mckendry
10. Reegan Campbell-Gillard
11. Bryce Cartwright
12. Isaah Yeo
13. Adam Docker

There's plenty more waiting for a shot. And even more running around for other clubs.

Our recruitment has been to keep us competitive while we wait for the focus on juniors to pay off. They don't develop overnight. Our recruitment and length of contracts has been incredibly good for the most part since Gus arrived. Every team needs a few imports, but our focus is on development and over the next few years most of our team will be locally developed players. Or smart buys like Whare, Segeyaro, Peachey etc. where we can give guys an opportunity their existing club may not.

Rabbitohs players who are either juniors or debuted for us:

2. Johnston
3. Walker
4. Auva'a
6. Keary
7. Reynolds
8. G.Burgess
9. Luke
10. Tyrrell
11. Sutton
12. McQueen
13. Clark

14. Lowe
15. Grevsmuhl
16. Turner
17. McInnes

DiegoNT

First Grade
How would a points system works? International and rep players would get extra points but would that mean rep wingers like chambers and nightingale be worth more points then players like adam reynolds and jake friend who are uncapped in the rep arena yet key players in their sides

eozsmiles

Bench
How would a points system works? International and rep players would get extra points but would that mean rep wingers like chambers and nightingale be worth more points then players like adam reynolds and jake friend who are uncapped in the rep arena yet key players in their sides

That is one of the issue with a points system. Another is how to define a junior or player with previous experience. And a third is over valuing lower quality players that change clubs,

They used to use this system in the semi-pro Newcastle comp. Local juniors were zero, blokes who'd played NRL in the last couple of years were worth 10, and everyone else fit in between depending on experience and talent. I think it was capped at about 100 points.
Apparently the Newcastle rugby union comp has brought this system in and a key part of theirs is that imported players carry an extra levy. No idea what other rules are in there.

Not sure if the systems work. I get the feeling that if a team has a bad run then it takes them even longer to get back up the ladder since recruiting will be harder. Puts a hole in expansion too since new footy areas aren't going to produce NRL quality locals straight away, might take years or decades.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I think mcIness plays this weekends, and Turner would already be there if he wasn't injured

7 genuine juniors is pretty good, not many clubs would better that

Our juniors playing this weekend in bold.

1 James Tedesco
2 Kevin Naiqama
3 Tim Simona
4 Chris Lawrence

5 Pat Richards
6 Mitchell Moses
7 Luke Brooks
8 Aaron Woods
9 Robbie Farah (c)

10 Keith Galloway
11 Curtis Sironen
12 Sauaso Sue

13 Martin Taupau

Interchange
14 Dene Halatau
15 Ava Seumanufagai
16 Matthew Lodge
17 Brenden Santi

yobbo84

First Grade
Our juniors playing this weekend in bold.

1 James Tedesco
2 Kevin Naiqama
3 Tim Simona
4 Chris Lawrence

5 Pat Richards
6 Mitchell Moses
7 Luke Brooks
8 Aaron Woods
9 Robbie Farah (c)

10 Keith Galloway
11 Curtis Sironen
12 Sauaso Sue

13 Martin Taupau

Interchange
14 Dene Halatau
15 Ava Seumanufagai
16 Matthew Lodge
17 Brenden Santi

Santi is a Bulldogs Junior (Chester Hill).
Halatau is a Parra Junior (Merrylands).
Simona is a Panthers Junior (Mt Druitt).

POPEYE

Coach

None of that means shit, a club can lay claim to any player it introduced to the top grade . . . 'juniors' means sfa to a young bloke trying to make the grade

You're right about Santi, don't know why I highlighted him. I could argue that he never played NYC for Canterbury before Tigers picked him up and continued to develop him though.

Halatau also played for North Ryde Hawks as well as Merrylands, so that would qualify him for Wests (Balmain,) juniors as well.

Simona played for Patrician Brothers, I didn't think he ever represented the Panthers though, but I'm probably wrong.

So excluding Santi and and Simaon, it's still 9 players, which is more than the 7 touted. If Taupau doesn't play due to his head knock Kyle Lovett comes in and it's ten players.

Nofoaluma is a Wests junior as well and would ordinarily start in front of Kev Naiqama.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Stop the press, clubs with biggest jnr regions have most jnrs playing for them. Who'd have thought it possible? lol.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Its not so much how many juniors you have (though it is nice to have local products in your team) its more to do with developing young and cheap players to a premiership standard

Latest posts