What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do You Have Confidence In The Dragons Board Of Management?

Do You Have Confidence In The Dragons Board Of Management?

• Yes - I have confience in the Dragons Board

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • No - I do not have confidence in the Dragons Board

Votes: 59 93.7%

• Total voters

possm

Coach
Willow, have a look at my response to BennyV.

If we are financially better off by playing some games at Homebush, then yes this should have a fall on affect and translate to a more consistent competitive team on the field.

If we were smart with our marketing of home games and included an incentive to go to the Club after the game, there is a possibility that we could draw capacity crowds and greater Leagues Club revenue.

We have two great home grounds that, with further development, could provide the capacity we need to make things financially viable medium to long term. First we need to play an attractive and successful brand of footy at our home grounds in order to bring the crowds through the gates. It is only then that the possibility of moving forward will be a viable proposition.

In my view we should resist the NRL’s wish to prop up ANZ management. We need at least 6 games a year at each of our home grounds. The NRL can choose some of our 12 away games to be played at ANZ if they feel the need to support ANZ.

BennyV

Referee
We are not in the same financial position as parra, penrith, manly and certainly not the roosters.

Need to think of the Dragons in a similar position ( on field performance/off field finances) as the Bunnies were pre-Russell circa 2005. Then think of some of the things he did to bring them up to the point of at least competing for finals footy in 2007 under Jason Tayor. Moving to homebush was one of them, and he was very unapologetic to Souths fans about it.

Not suggesting this is the answer right now, but IMO its very unproductive at the moment to be harping on about this right game right venue issue, it detracts from other more pressing issues.

This isnt what you said initially mate. You claimed that moving to Homebush was the future and makes 'financial sense', and I disagree - strongly, in fact, as one of the major tools at the Dragon's disposal is their heritage. Used properly, continuing to play out of Kogarah (and Gong) can assist to build us back Up.

And while yes, there are more pressing issues, this is still a major concern, as it is short term gain for long term pain.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow, have a look at my response to BennyV.

If we are financially better off by playing some games at Homebush, then yes this should have a fall on affect and translate to a more consistent competitive team on the field.
So now it is "IF' we are better off. And yet you were declaring, "...we just need to move on. It makes financial sense to play out of homebush."

OK, presumably you're backing away from your original stance.

Unless there is something dramatic happening in the detail, I can't see the profit of playing 'home games' at neutral venues. That is, giving up home ground advantage and even giving up the home ground share of the gate takings while giving away tickets to opposition fans, all of which occurred last year.

The thing is, IF we are in such dire straits that we have to start selling our home games, then surely this is another nail in the coffin of those responsible.

We should not be blaming our home venues or the fans for this mess, the onus of responsibility is clearly resting on the shoulders of those who are supposedly managing the club.

IMO its very unproductive at the moment to be harping on about this right game right venue issue, it detracts from other more pressing issues.
Dude, it is one of them.

You can't just pick and choose which issues we are allowed to discuss.

On the list (from #saveoursaints article):

- Failing to make the finals over the last three years;
- The decision to take four home games away to ANZ Stadium, Allianz Stadium and the Sydney Cricket Ground, while playing only eight home games each year at spiritual home grounds, Kogarah or Wollongong;
- Poor recruitment, which includes the loss of representative stars and local juniors Brett Morris to Canterbury this year and Trent Merrin to Penrith next season;
- The sacking of rookie coach Steve Price last season, only for him to be replaced by fellow rookie Paul McGregor.
- The once mighty club requiring annual funding from the NRL to remain sustainable.

All important issues and that's only the start. I could throw in a few more.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Benny V and Willow you can try as hard as you like to find holes in my argument, but there is obviously some financial incentives for clubs to play at homebush, don't kid yourselves. The bulldogs have to be the smartest operators in the NRL. And yet with all their money, they elected not to upgrade belmore( training facilities have been upgraded though) instead they play out of homebush. From a heritage point of view, if it's good enough for Souths, it's good enough for the Dragons. Both clubs are rich in heritage.

I love Kogarah, it's a beautiful little ground, but in the end, the decision ( where to play) as well as other issues (board members/staff) may very well be taken out of our hands if the NRL or a Crowe type takeover eventuates. Whether we are playing full time out of homebush, kogarah or the gong, I'll be happy as long as we are winning games.

love my saints

Juniors
10,000 to our first home game at Kogarah, new coach, new team, some nice hype. Thats a shamefull crowd.
Yes i understand people are taking a stand and not attending games, but that hurts the club.
Homebush offers a gaurenteed amount, around the $400k mark, per game we play there.
The best way to stop this being a fulltime move is to get out to our home games and support our team.
Still barrack for doust and the board to be removed, but help the club financially. For us to survive financially, we, the fans need to get to the games and support our team.
And i can assure u the boys could do with some support right about now. The bulldogs have the biggest home crowd average of any sydney team, yet we have a bigger supporter bas and more passionate fans. This shouldnt be happening.
Walking away from the team because of the CEO and board is shamefull.
Save our saints??? One things for certain, we cant save them by sitting at home and jumping on a forum.

BennyV

Referee
It's the fans that give a home game its advantage, not the stadium.

And when opposition supporters gain access cheaper/easier than saints fans, it takes away from our majority(seriously, I got into.our home game vs Tigpies at ANZ last year on the back of a mates Tigers membership!). Add to this ridiculous notions like honouring opposition players milestones at our home games, and it is barely a home game at all.

Mattc

Juniors
And when opposition supporters gain access cheaper/easier than saints fans, it takes away from our majority(seriously, I got into.our home game vs Tigpies at ANZ last year on the back of a mates Tigers membership!). Add to this ridiculous notions like honouring opposition players milestones at our home games, and it is barely a home game at all.

The thing I don't get about us taking games to ANZ is the whole reciprocal rights thing.
We are playing our home game vs the Tigers in round 26 at ANZ, yet they played us at Campbeltown??
It doesn't make sense !?!
I have no doubt that the NRL is happy that we have moved games to Homebush, I'm sure they would like to see more clubs doing the reciprocal thing to boost attendances. So why didn't it go both ways?
We should move round 26 back to one of our homes. Of course, we can't because I'm sure we are contractually obliged to ANZ, but something is not right in our negotiation re scheduling.
I wonder will Tigers members be allowed in for free in round 26?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Benny V and Willow you can try as hard as you like to find holes in my argument
I'm just after the facts. Your argument seems to stem from a view that we all should "just move on."
but there is obviously some financial incentives for clubs to play at homebush
Such as?
don't kid yourselves.
Compelling argument.
The bulldogs have to be the smartest operators in the NRL.
Their board was sacked following the salary cap rort. Before that they were hardly a model club.
And yet with all their money, they elected not to upgrade belmore
Not really relevant, they don't own Belmore. Clubs have very little financial input into the upgrade of home grounds. Typically the funding comes from State and Local Governments.
]( training facilities have been upgraded though)
Well there you go.
instead they play out of homebush.
Homebush is s better fit for Canterbury.
But do you really think that's the only reason for their financial situation? Canterbury have done a lot to turn things around. They embrace their fanbase and have improved their Leagues Club facilities. By all reports, their Clubhouse is a rich one with a growing patronage.

There were no shortcuts here, it took Canterbury a good 10 years to get back on an even keel. Meanwhile our Clubhouse has gone backwards and the mgt are looking to sell the farm. Heck, they don't even put a sign out the front to promote a Kogarah game.

From a heritage point of view, if it's good enough for Souths, it's good enough for the Dragons.
lol@5ouff$

Both clubs are rich in heritage.
We are not Souths.

I love Kogarah, it's a beautiful little ground, but in the end, the decision ( where to play) as well as other issues (board members/staff) may very well be taken out of our hands if the NRL or a Crowe type takeover eventuates. Whether we are playing full time out of homebush, kogarah or the gong, I'll be happy as long as we are winning games.
Well with respect, it sounds like you have a lot of faith in the board.

And again, please remember why we find ourselves in this position.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
10,000 to our first home game at Kogarah, new coach, new team, some nice hype. Thats a shamefull crowd.
Would have been great to see a sellout crowd, but let's put it in perspective.

It was Monday night, against an out of town team, very little promotion from the Club, a Club that shows little respect to its fanbase. All things considered, 10K was a good turnout.

And seriously, how many would have gone to Homebush?
Homebush offers a gaurenteed amount, around the $400k mark, per game we play there.
You got a source for that?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
something is not right in our negotiation re scheduling.
I agree. And there were some terrible negotiations done last year that simply favoured the other side. You could be excused for thinking that Dragons mgt were completely out-maneuvered.

And Saints fans were treated like suckers. Buy a season ticket only to see opposition supporters getting in for free.

It's little wonder that more people are holding onto their money this year.

The_Team_Won

Juniors
I have about the same confidence in the board as Columbus did in the people around him over 500 years ago that were telling him the world was flat.

Mattc

Juniors
I agree. And there were some terrible negotiations done last year that simply favoured the other side. You could be excused for thinking that Dragons mgt were completely out-maneuvered.

And Saints fans were treated like suckers. Buy a season ticket only to see opposition supporters getting in for free.

It's little wonder that more people are holding onto their money this year.

Completely agree.
A number of decisions have completely baffled me the last couple of years.
Remember sitting in the sun at the SCG against the Tigers in 2013? With the presentation party with it's back to us? Or, as has been mentioned, celebrating John Sutton and all things Souths last year at the SCG? Even the Charity Shield is basically now a Souths home game. Played at their home, and I think even included in their membership package.
I wouldn't mind playing some games at the bigger venues if it meant getting a 'free' ticket to an away game as part of the deal. We play 4 games away from our 'homes'. We should get 4 'away' games. Seems reasonable??
Our management seem to be the pushovers of the NRL.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Completely agree.
A number of decisions have completely baffled me the last couple of years.

My personal fav was allocating the Dragons V Sharks derby to the gong last year... f**king Kogarah any1!?. It has historically been a St. George V Cronulla rivalry. Why the f**k should the gong get that game!?

love my saints

Juniors
Would have been great to see a sellout crowd, but let's put it in perspective.

It was Monday night, against an out of town team, very little promotion from the Club, a Club that shows little respect to its fanbase. All things considered, 10K was a good turnout.

And seriously, how many would have gone to Homebush?
You got a source for that?

The club didnt promote the game??? Its round one of the season, we were in article after article, every single fan knew monday night round one was against the storm!
Im not defending the board but lets not start playing stupid just for the sake of it.
proof of the homebush financial benefit? I'll tell you what, how bout you research the financial benefits before you jump down peoples throats like you know everything.
And how many would've gone to homebush? Who gives a f@ck, the same way fans abandoned our team to protest the board wiouldnt care how many turned up, BECAUSE THE CLUB IS GAURENTEED A PAY DAY.