What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do You Have Confidence In The Dragons Board Of Management?

Do You Have Confidence In The Dragons Board Of Management?

• Yes - I have confience in the Dragons Board

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • No - I do not have confidence in the Dragons Board

Votes: 59 93.7%

• Total voters

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The club didnt promote the game???
St George Leagues Club. It was specifically about local promotion. I did clarify this.
lets not start playing stupid just for the sake of it
Indeed.
proof of the homebush financial benefit? I'll tell you what, how bout you research the financial benefits before you jump down peoples throats like you know everything.
Settle down. This is debate and discussion. If you can't understand that concept, then please feel free to take your ball and go.

FYI, I have seen several different figures posted, ranging from $250K to $500K. You made the claim, so I am asking for a reference to this. Your claim = onus on you to back it up. Debate 101.
And how many would've gone to homebush? Who gives a f@ck, the same way fans abandoned our team to protest the board wiouldnt care how many turned up, BECAUSE THE CLUB IS GAURENTEED A PAY DAY.
Well... given your ability to pull figures out of your arse, I just thought a crowd figure would be a given.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
I'm just after the facts. Your argument seems to stem from a view that we all should "just move on."Such as? Compelling argument.Their board was sacked following the salary cap rort. Before that they were hardly a model club. Not really relevant, they don't own Belmore. Clubs have very little financial input into the upgrade of home grounds. Typically the funding comes from State and Local Governments.
Well there you go.Homebush is s better fit for Canterbury.
But do you really think that's the only reason for their financial situation? Canterbury have done a lot to turn things around. They embrace their fanbase and have improved their Leagues Club facilities. By all reports, their Clubhouse is a rich one with a growing patronage.

There were no shortcuts here, it took Canterbury a good 10 years to get back on an even keel. Meanwhile our Clubhouse has gone backwards and the mgt are looking to sell the farm. Heck, they don't even put a sign out the front to promote a Kogarah game.

lol@5ouff$

We are not Souths.

Well with respect, it sounds like you have a lot of faith in the board.

And again, please remember why we find ourselves in this position.

With all due respect, by the look of your posts, seems that if the Dragons aren't playing at kogarah, it's pretty much a deal breaker for you.

Even those two guys on 2SM this afternoon said it was a no brainer. We are financially strapped, and one way of making maximizing revenue is by playing more games at Homebush. I'm sure you listened to this interview this afternoon.

Also here is some evidence which indicates why it's better for us, from a pure financial perspective, to play more games at homebush.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...t-home-20140425-zqzf1.html?rand=1398520570682

Where's your evidence to suggest that's it's financially better to play from kogarah?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Completely agree.
A number of decisions have completely baffled me the last couple of years.
Remember sitting in the sun at the SCG against the Tigers in 2013? With the presentation party with it's back to us? Or, as has been mentioned, celebrating John Sutton and all things Souths last year at the SCG? Even the Charity Shield is basically now a Souths home game. Played at their home, and I think even included in their membership package.
I wouldn't mind playing some games at the bigger venues if it meant getting a 'free' ticket to an away game as part of the deal. We play 4 games away from our 'homes'. We should get 4 'away' games. Seems reasonable??
Our management seem to be the pushovers of the NRL.
They do seem like soft targets when it comes to dealing with the business end of the NRL.

And imo, the whole venue selection smells of sell job, pure and simple.

I most definitely remember that SCG game. Please excuse the following rant... I post it because, like many of us, I always supported the Club's decisions. But that belief has been getting slowly eroded away by one bizarre decision after another. That SCG game was the final straw for me. The full realisation hit home, that they treating us like shit.

I had already booked and paid for my flights, arranged accom etc, and the game suddenly got shifted from Kogarah to the SCG. OK, shit happens - I'm actually pretty easy going. I wasn't happy but I wanted to support the team, and quite frankly I was already locked in. It would have cost me money not to go.

So I went to the game and convinced my mates to come as well. On arrival, we were shunted into the worse possible seats. In the sun, could only see 75% of the field. Miles away... FMD, when will people realise that the "C" in "SCG" stands for 'Cricket'? It was never built for Rugby League. There's a good reason why the old guys moved out of there.

In basic terms, we were not getting what we paid for. This was nothing like the seats we paid for at Kogarah. So I thought I had reason to lodge a complaint.

So I did mention my concerns to the Club, I sent a polite letter. They replied many weeks later to say that it was basically all my fault - apparently I should have searched them out on the day - ie miss even more of the game. They also said that a refund was not possible - I should have pulled out of the game beforehand. Yep, they were basically saying I would have been better off not supporting the team that day.

There was also a very low crowd figure that day. The idiots were trying to replicate the heritage '1963' game from earlier in the year. #NFI

They treated us like a customers, only worse. Because we were loyal fans, they were taking us for granted, and it looks that has been going on for some time.

If you got this far before dozing off, thanks. FTR, I still buy season tix for Kogarah, and will continue to do what I've been doing since the 1960s. I will also go to W'gong as well as some interstate away games. But I can't give my hard earned readies to these crap neutral venues masquerading as 'home' games.

love my saints

Juniors
St George Leagues Club. It was specifically about local promotion. I did clarify this.
Indeed.
Settle down. This is debate and discussion. If you can't understand that concept, then please feel free to take your ball and go.

FYI, I have seen several different figures posted, ranging from $250K to $500K. You made the claim, so I am asking for a reference to this. Your claim = onus on you to back it up. Debate 101.
Well... given your ability to pull figures out of your arse, I just thought a crowd figure would be a given.

Post #25... Clearly states "around $400k"... now seeing as you say you'v heard between $250-$500k.... then "around the $400k" mark is pretty spot on.
I dont pull figures from my ass, you seem to be incapable of aknowledging that someone knows something that you dont.
Can you honestly say that getting 10,000 to kogarah is financially more viable then $400k?
Its tolerable if we wernt in financial shit, but given our financial situation, if the fans dont turn up to support our team at Kogarah and wollongong, then more games will be taken to homebush. That simple im afraid.
The club has the fans firmly by the balls, show up in big numbers, or games will be taken away.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
With all due respect, by the look of your posts, seems that if the Dragons aren't playing at kogarah, it's pretty much a deal breaker for you.
Haha. Don't start doing my thinking for me Grasshopper, it'll do your head in.

Sounds like the radio told you what you wanted to hear. lol @ "no brainer". The irony.
here is some evidence which indicates why it's better for us, from a pure financial perspective, to play more games at homebush.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...t-home-20140425-zqzf1.html?rand=1398520570682
I was hoping someone would bring this up.

This article is almost 12 months old, and it was debated last year in JA. Unfortunately for the writer, some of the 'evidence' was found to be flawed. Someone only had to scratch beneath the surface. Link. Another Link. And yet another Link.

Apparently the capacity figures had not been properly researched and this brought the whole credibility of the article into question. Like many mainstream articles, it had the look of a public relations exercise.

Alas, the views of a writer with flawed research don't always count as evidence. Sorry, but I'm always wary of anyone trying to sell me a pup.
Where's your evidence to suggest that's it's financially better to play from kogarah?
Did I make that claim? No, I didn't.

I am talking about the long term damage this is doing to Saints.

I question the notion of moving games away from our traditional supporter bases. The Club will point to NRL figures that say Saints are the 4th most supported team in western Sydney. That's right, 4th! This is the foundation of their argument, ie to build upon this 4th placing. But to so means the continual trashing of areas where we have 1st place. Does this make financial sense? Not in my books.

To turn this dream into a reality, the NRL and neutral venues will offer loads of incentives to the fans. Including lots of freebies, promotions and heavily discounted packages. If you gave the same commitment to Kogarah and W'gong... well there's your no brainer.

So who voted yes?

Damo!

Juniors
10,000 to our first home game at Kogarah, new coach, new team, some nice hype. Thats a shamefull crowd.
Yes i understand people are taking a stand and not attending games, but that hurts the club.

Personally, I am not 'taking a stand' (sic) but Monday nights are hard to make. I did end up going though, did you?.

The bulldogs have the biggest home crowd average of any sydney team
Not true;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Australian_football_code_crowds#Attendances_by_team

Walking away from the team because of the CEO and board is shamefull.
Pretty sure no one here is 'walking away' we are just pissed and ready to make ourselves heard.

Save our saints??? One things for certain, we cant save them by sitting at home and jumping on a forum.
This is true, that's why we are getting outside this forum. What are you doing??

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Post #25... Clearly states "around $400k"... now seeing as you say you'v heard between $250-$500k.... then "around the $400k" mark is pretty spot on.
I dont pull figures from my ass, you seem to be incapable of aknowledging that someone knows something that you dont.
Can you honestly say that getting 10,000 to kogarah is financially more viable then $400k?
Its tolerable if we wernt in financial shit, but given our financial situation, if the fans dont turn up to support our team at Kogarah and wollongong, then more games will be taken to homebush. That simple im afraid.
The club has the fans firmly by the balls, show up in big numbers, or games will be taken away.
Perhaps you are recalling the $400K we made from a SFS game. It was an ANZAC day fixture. Big game, NRL showcase. Looks like you're trying to compare a Monday night game to this.

You could always google it.

Edit: The 250-500K example was to illustrate how no one knows, people just posting shit. You can't use some wild figures and guesses and then take an average. FMD, you're hilarious. lol.

Last edited:

love my saints

Juniors
Personally, I am not 'taking a stand' (sic) but Monday nights are hard to make. I did end up going though, did you?.

Not true;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Australian_football_code_crowds#Attendances_by_team

Pretty sure no one here is 'walking away' we are just pissed and ready to make ourselves heard.

This is true, that's why we are getting outside this forum. What are you doing??
yes i went to the game, as i do all home games. You say everyone is pissed and ready make themselves heard??? Where exactly? How bout making themselves heard at home games?
And you asked what am i doing? Buddy, try researching what someones been saying all along before insinuating you know anything about that person.
iv stated over and over again i dont get involved in the barking at doust and the board, not because i support them, but because untill a proper movement is made, i refuse to be seen next to a "oust doust" banner that looks like a 2 year old wrote it. And i refuse to be associated with morons that let off flares next to kids at a suburban home ground.
And, the best, ill be dammed if i show my face at a protest that spread rumour of over 600 people attending yet only 14 showed up holding a child like banner. Thats a joke.
im no politician, or high end businessman, but i know the things that people have come up with in the past are child like.
Iv said all along, rather then make these quick decisions and get embarrassed, whats needed is for someone to seek a professional opinion on the best option to take in regards to getting the point across.
i assure you, that action, will have over 5000 fans attending.
14 fans is what you get when you have a banner like the one that was held. Im no pro, but for f@cks sake all these people crying and whinging, all ot takes is one to get advice from someone in the know.
untill that happens, this forum is the best you will dish up. Everything else will be swept aside as though its a childish idea.
Doust has been CEO for 15 years, you think 14 people holding a banner scares him? You think #saveoursaints worries him?
He is having a mighty good laugh while sinking a cold crownie.

love my saints

Juniors
Perhaps you are recalling the $400K we made from a SFS game. It was an ANZAC day fixture. Big game, NRL showcase. Looks like you're trying to compare a Monday night game to this.

Edit: The 250-500K example was to illustrate how no one knows, people just posting shit. You can't use some wild figures and guesses and then take an average. FMD, you're hilarious. lol.

Are being serious now, how stupid are you? Someone stating "around $400k" is not that person implying he knows that exact figure as a fact.
Get off your high horse, try contributing rather then picking peoples posts apart when you have NFI.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Haha. Don't start doing my thinking for me Grasshopper, it'll do your head in.

Sounds like the radio told you what you wanted to hear. lol @ "no brainer". The irony.
I was hoping someone would bring this up.

This article is almost 12 months old, and it was debated last year in JA. Unfortunately for the writer, some of the 'evidence' was found to be flawed. Someone only had to scratch beneath the surface. Link. Another Link. And yet another Link.

Apparently the capacity figures had not been properly researched and this brought the whole credibility of the article into question. Like many mainstream articles, it had the look of a public relations exercise.

Alas, the views of a writer with flawed research don't always count as evidence. Sorry, but I'm always wary of anyone trying to sell me a pup.
Did I make that claim? No, I didn't.

I am talking about the long term damage this is doing to Saints.

I question the notion of moving games away from our traditional supporter bases. The Club will point to NRL figures that say Saints are the 4th most supported team in western Sydney. That's right, 4th! This is the foundation of their argument, ie to build upon this 4th placing. But to so means the continual trashing of areas where we have 1st place. Does this make financial sense? Not in my books.

To turn this dream into a reality, the NRL and neutral venues will offer loads of incentives to the fans. Including lots of freebies, promotions and heavily discounted packages. If you gave the same commitment to Kogarah and W'gong... well there's your no brainer.

So who voted yes?

Go back and check your post, 13. You wanted evidence, so I gave it to you. As flawed as you claim it to be, its still written by a reporter who happens to work for the largest australian newspaper. I have an article to back up my point of view (only that is financially more viable to play out of homebush), so besides your long winded replies, what's your evidence for your side of the argument?

love my saints

Juniors

And one last thing.... how bout you google it? It turns out the sum sits at $440k per game.
seems like its best if you give up disecting peoples posts like a hero and sit back and learn something instead.
Hilarious? Nah buddy, SMART!!!!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Are being serious now, how stupid are you?
Good question. I was smarter before I started talking to you.
Someone stating "around $400k" is not that person implying he knows that exact figure as a fact.
Ah, so you admit that you made it up.

See, that wasn't so hard.
Get off your high horse, try contributing rather then picking peoples posts apart when you have NFI.
Anger management more like it.

Now please, you seem quite knowledgeable on all things so answer my question if you can. I know it was reported that the ANZAC Day fixture makes $400K in ticket sales for Saints. Does that sound right for you?

Never mind, here's a media report...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...next-eight-years/story-e6frfgbo-1225801820343

And I understand this same figure was used last year to support the move to neutral venues.

For a regular season game, this is obviously a top shelf fixture. So we cannot possibly get the same gate takings for every neutral venue game.

And you can't compare it to a Monday night game, a concept that has a history of failure.

Agreed?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Go back and check your post, 13. You wanted evidence, so I gave it to you. As flawed as you claim it to be, its still written by a reporter who happens to work for the largest australian newspaper. I have an article to back up my point of view (only that is financially more viable to play out of homebush), so besides your long winded replies, what's your evidence for your side of the argument?
Could be written by the Queen of England, but it doesn't mean it's right. The article was ripped into last year. Look, I read your argument, and I gave my response. I can't help it if you don't want to pay it the same courtesy.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Could be written by the Queen of England, but it doesn't mean it's right. The article was ripped into last year. Look, I read your argument, and I gave my response. I can't help it if you don't want to pay it the same courtesy.

Fair enough mate, I read all your posts. I'm pretty sure I said at around 2 this afternoon, there are other pressing issues, goes without saying, change of board......If we are financially stronger in the future, then this issue of playing at other grounds besides kogarah and Wollongong becomes non-existent.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Fair enough mate, I read all your posts. I'm pretty sure I said at around 2 this afternoon, there are other pressing issues, goes without saying, change of board......If we are financially stronger in the future, then this issue of playing at other grounds besides kogarah and Wollongong becomes non-existent.
Well given the length of the debate, perhaps it is a more pressing issue than first thought.

I just believe there are better ways to make a quid than selling off our home games. It reeks of short term gain.

I like to think that there will be a time in the future when the Club, with a new board perhaps, will realise the long term value in looking after our own backyard.

Damo!

Juniors
yes i went to the game, as i do all home games.

Awesome, it's good to hear you continue supporting the club we all love.

i dont get involved in the barking at doust and the board, not because i support them, but because untill a proper movement is made
How much more 'proper' do you want this to get before you get involved?

i refuse to be seen next to a "oust doust" banner that looks like a 2 year old wrote it.
Me too. That's got little, if anything, to do with those pushing #SaveOurSaints

ill be dammed if i show my face at a protest that spread rumour of over 600 people attending yet only 14 showed up holding a child like banner.
I'm with you here too. That 'protest' was half arsed, at best, and misguided (Mr Doust is NOT the problem, something most on here understand)

Iv said all along, rather then make these quick decisions and get embarrassed, whats needed is for someone to seek a professional opinion on the best option to take in regards to getting the point across.
#SaveOurSaints has, so far, made the back page of the Telegraph, Fox, SMH, MMM and Sportal online as well as getting a mention on all the radio stations in Sydney the give a shit about RL. It's fair to say there is some unprofessional involvement, but the movement has been heard.

i assure you, that action, will have over 5000 fans attending.
I assure you, there is more than 5K involved with #SaveOurSaints.

Doust has been CEO for 15 years, you think 14 people holding a banner scares him? You think #saveoursaints worries him?
Not sure, but it's clear that he and the board realise that things are far from rosy right now.

He is having a mighty good laugh while sinking a cold crownie.
How certain are you of this? He's bothered to make a public statement, something that only happens when things are going really poorly, I believe he and the board are listening right now. Neither of us know the truth.

Latest posts