What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop

Twenty10

Juniors
Gees... The rumblings are getting louder about widdop wanting out. I couldn't bekkeve this could happen until I read widdop making some statements in the press. Isn't tgat classic tactic from manager and players just before exiting?? To put it out there that they are not overly happy with the structure of play and how they are not being allowed to play to their potential??

This is all getting a little but worrying to be honest. I have heard the rumours from far too many people now.

Anyone got any decent mail on this?

Gees... The rumblings are getting louder about widdop wanting out. I couldn't bekkeve this could happen until I read widdop making some statements in the press. Isn't tgat classic tactic from manager and players just before exiting?? To put it out there that they are not overly happy with the structure of play and how they are not being allowed to play to their potential??

This is all getting a little but worrying to be honest. I have heard the rumours from far too many people now.

Anyone got any decent mail on this?

Where can I find him making these statements mate if true that's very sad an unsatisfactory of our poor club management

Highland Saint

Juniors
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...is-style-of-play/story-fni3g9a3-1227281557022

ST GEORGE Illawarra star Gareth Widdop has revealed the new structures in place at the Dragons haven’t suited his natural game, and he’s keen to revert to his dominant role that worked so well for him last year. Widdop and halves partner Benji Marshall haven’t exactly lived up their own early expectations.
To be fair, the English and New Zealand internationals haven’t been allowed to be effective because the Dragons have coughed up too much ball.
But Widdop said if he could play the style which suited him best, it would benefit him and the Red V.
TV:What NRL war chest should really be spent on
KO:Get concussion issue sorted, for Peats’ sake
“For myself, I need to get back to doing the little things, get a good kicking game, playing square, getting my hands on the ball and being dominant like when I was at my best last year,’’ Widdop told The Daily Telegraph.
“That’s the key for me. Your combination in the halves is crucial. We need to find that balance of who will take the more dominant role.
“I need to get back to what suits me and what helps the team ... it helps the team if I can control it a bit more.
“I obviously try to get my hands on the ball, play square and direct the boys around.
“I think with the new structures we went into games with, it wasn’t working for us a little bit, and I probably took a bit of a back seat.
“We’ve simplified a few things now. It’s only early stages. That second half on the weekend (against Canberra) when we cut out all our silly errors, it allowed us to play a bit more, and it certainly improved.’’

Benji Marshall says he and Widdop just have to keep working until it clicks.

There have been rumblings Widdop is unhappy and wants out of the Dragons. When asked about those rumours, Widdop said they were just that.
Brett Kimmorley suggested the Dragons should consider switching Josh Dugan and Widdop, which would give them a ball-playing fullback.
Marshall and Widdop now have a licence to roam, unlike last year when they were anchored on one side of the park.
Marshall said he and Widdop had started slow, and it would take time to gel.
“(But) he doesn’t really want to revert to that dominant role,’’ Marshall said.
“With our combination, it’s my job to organise the plays and shift the ball to him. As the halfback, I control the direction of the side and he attacks off the back of it.
“We just try and get an even share of possession, and it’s not about me getting more ball, or him getting more ball. We don’t care. As long as the game goes to plan.
“It hasn’t been the start we wanted, but there are little signs what we can achieve when we put it together.’’
Marshall said the Dragons had gone away from their game plan when forced to chase points, and it was vital they began well against Manly on Saturday night.

jenninga

First Grade
Then there are some saying the player himself has denied these rumours.
With a coach like ours anything will and can happen.

love my saints

Juniors
Then there are some saying the player himself has denied these rumours.
With a coach like ours anything will and can happen.

Not having a go at you, but whats a coach like ours have to do with anything?
Its a rumour, the player himself has denied it as just a rumour, why mention "with a coach like ours anything can and will happen"?

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
If its between Widdop and Marshall, then pack your bags benchy. Widdop played his best footy without you in the side. We didn't need benji to start with. But once we did go ahead and sign him, Marshall should of been told that widdop was to be the dominant half. Now benchy is running the show and looks to be trying to entice old mates Molzten and Liu to the fold.

We are still paying the price for price.

boot

Juniors
If its between Widdop and Marshall, then pack your bags benchy. Widdop played his best footy without you in the side. We didn't need benji to start with. But once we did go ahead and sign him, Marshall should of been told that widdop was to be the dominant half. Now benchy is running the show and looks to be trying to entice old mates Molzten and Liu to the fold.

There's some rubbish on the forum and this is up there with the worst!... Absolutely no idea

love my saints

Juniors

I agree widdop should be the dominant half.
But you do realise the moltzen rumour was a gee up? There was no truth in it at all.
And this Lui rumour is also just that, a rumour.
Its a bit harsh to start throwing these accusations at Marshall, especially when there is no truth behind them.

boot

Juniors
Wow, what an insightful contribution to the topic. On ya champ.

Seem to know your stuff also 'champ'

Your talking about telling one of us best to walk...

How about we start playing as a team rather than choosing which player gets to stay or get the boot... Sounds like a pretty simple idea don't you think? Or should we just sack them all...?

rainman44

Bench
Seem to know your stuff also 'champ'

Your talking about telling one of us best to walk...

How about we start playing as a team rather than choosing which player gets to stay or get the boot... Sounds like a pretty simple idea don't you think? Or should we just sack them all...?
How about the coach walks ?:D

giboz71

First Grade
I know the decision to get Benji was made before Mary and Mulholland were in their current roles, but who is ultimately accountable for this decision? Surely when we decided to fork out $500k on Benji, we had confidence that his partnership with Widdop would work? Do we not have the appropriate coaching to make it work?

The fact that Widdop is making public comments is worrying indeed. Was he properly consulted on how his role would be impacted, given he was a a marquee signing? I just hope whoever decided to go out and get Benji had a plan in mind, given how much he cost. I'm guessing it was yet another knee jerk, short sighted decision that we have become all too used to.

Last edited:

boot

Juniors
How about the coach walks ?:D

Because he is the one out there dropping the ball...?

I agree it's painful but threatening to sack players is not the solution... Eg. Souths play for and with each other... They aren't on a knife edge if they make a mistake...

We are a bunch of primary school kids playing for themselves trying to stand out to get selected next week!

Until we show some trust in our players... They won't perform.