What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths vs dogs

souths_pride

Juniors
Wow! What a game of footy! That has to be one of the most controversial endings to a game of footy I've ever seen! To the incident which decided things, I do believe it was a penalty but I don't think it should have been awarded in front of the sticks; I always thought the penalty is where the ball lands! In saying that, the hit from Graham, although accidental, was late. Moreover, I always feel that when you take out the standing leg of the kicker your asking for trouble. It was an unfortunate way to decide things, but it was a penalty.

As for our performance as a whole, I thought we were purely and simply outplayed. This win surely has to rank as one of our finest because we showed plenty of courage to stay in the contest against a formidable opponent who was on top in a contest where the conditions and the style of the game completely suited them. I thought the Bulldogs forwards outplayed us. In particular, Josh Jackson and David Klemmer were absolutely superb for the Dogs, as was Kasiano, Tolman; the leg drive of those players was phenomenal. I also liked how the Bulldogs back rowers were able to change direction a lot in the wet conditions, making them a real handful to tackle. What let the Dogs down was their last tackle options; they certainly need to work on their execution and decision making on the last play. I've also got a question mark over some of Michael Lichaa choices from dummy half.

As for Souths, our form is start to become a bit of a concern. We're 5 games in and we haven't produced one really polished performance as yet. I thought the efforts of the Burgess brothers were admirable but they really need to work on their handling. David Tyrell showed plenty of guts and I take my hat off to Chris Grevsmuhl - he looks like a world class backrower in the making. However, the likes of Clark, McQueen, Tim Grant and ever Glenn Stewart were rendered ineffective by a Bulldogs defence that were in their faces right from kick off. In saying that, they didn't play badly, they just weren't as dominant as the Bulldogs.

Like last week, our real weakness seems to be our outside backs. Goodwin tries hard and is a solid player I guess but can be exposed from time to time. I've still got massive question marks over Daryl Millard and his ability to defend as I do over Joel Reddy and his positioning; Millard's offload was an absolute coach killer! In general our defence out wide on the right looks really vulnerable. I think its a combination of poor communication and decision making and is something which we need to sort out.

All in all, it was a gutsy win but I would have much rather have scored a try to win the game than kick a goal in the circumstances that we did.

southsport

First Grade
Reports that dogs supporters waiting for Souths players to come off the field and some chasing players on the field.

hurricane57

Juniors
Wow! What a game of footy! That has to be one of the most controversial endings to a game of footy I've ever seen! To the incident which decided things, I do believe it was a penalty but I don't think it should have been awarded in front of the sticks; I always thought the penalty is where the ball lands! In saying that, the hit from Graham, although accidental, was late. Moreover, I always feel that when you take out the standing leg of the kicker your asking for trouble. It was an unfortunate way to decide things, but it was a penalty.

As for our performance as a whole, I thought we were purely and simply outplayed. This win surely has to rank as one of our finest because we showed plenty of courage to stay in the contest against a formidable opponent who was on top in a contest where the conditions and the style of the game completely suited them. I thought the Bulldogs forwards outplayed us. In particular, Josh Jackson and David Klemmer were absolutely superb for the Dogs, as was Kasiano, Tolman; the leg drive of those players was phenomenal. I also liked how the Bulldogs back rowers were able to change direction a lot in the wet conditions, making them a real handful to tackle. What let the Dogs down was their last tackle options; they certainly need to work on their execution and decision making on the last play. I've also got a question mark over some of Michael Lichaa choices from dummy half.

As for Souths, our form is start to become a bit of a concern. We're 5 games in and we haven't produced one really polished performance as yet. I thought the efforts of the Burgess brothers were admirable but they really need to work on their handling. David Tyrell showed plenty of guts and I take my hat off to Chris Grevsmuhl - he looks like a world class backrower in the making. However, the likes of Clark, McQueen, Tim Grant and ever Glenn Stewart were rendered ineffective by a Bulldogs defence that were in their faces right from kick off. In saying that, they didn't play badly, they just weren't as dominant as the Bulldogs.

Like last week, our real weakness seems to be our outside backs. Goodwin tries hard and is a solid player I guess but can be exposed from time to time. I've still got massive question marks over Daryl Millard and his ability to defend as I do over Joel Reddy and his positioning; Millard's offload was an absolute coach killer! In general our defence out wide on the right looks really vulnerable. I think its a combination of poor communication and decision making and is something which we need to sort out.

All in all, it was a gutsy win but I would have much rather have scored a try to win the game than kick a goal in the circumstances that we did.

Great commentary, I agree with everything you say. I want to say, when Goodwin caught that bomb in the in goal, I nearly fell off the lounge. The only thing that kept things normal was Ben Lowe's two penalty effort in holding on to long in the tackle stuff,.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors

Because that what the rules dictate than when a player is fouled whilst takinga drop kick attempt it is a penalty infront of the posts.

While you can argue there was no intent. ... he still fouled him as it wasnt a tackling motion.

If graham had gone in for a tackle and unable to pullout then smashes him ina tackle then it would be algood.

Big Sam

First Grade
Luckiest win I can recall but that Scouse scumbag deserved it after what he did to Sam and Dave in the GF. Karma's a bitch.

I made the point after the WCC that we have players who can play in multiple positions if needed and that strength came to the fore today. Keary dynamic out of dummy half and AJ with some excellent kick returns.

Reddy hopeless yet again highlighted by his offload on tackle 1 15 out that lead to Morris' try. He needs to go Madge!

southsport

First Grade
Luckiest win I can recall but that Scouse scumbag deserved it after what he did to Sam and Dave in the GF. Karma's a bitch.

I made the point after the WCC that we have players who can play in multiple positions if needed and that strength came to the fore today. Keary dynamic out of dummy half and AJ with some excellent kick returns.

Reddy hopeless yet again highlighted by his offload on tackle 1 15 out that lead to Morris' try. He needs to go Madge!

Inglis looked good at 5/8 too, great effort by Tyrell to pick up that ball and improve the position for his try, Grevsmuhl looks dangerous all the time.

Big Sam

First Grade
Souths supporter king-hit after the game.........ambo called.

3 fights broke out in my bay at the GF last year all started by feral dogs fans. Missed Reynolds try trying to evade one.

Greenburg never truly got rid of the scum element from their supporter group.

doyen

Bench
dogs foul play cost them the game.

And Graham sure knows how to win friends & influence people;especially referees!!

By the time fulltime was nigh & poor Jamie had committed his sin on AR the ref had well & truly had his appalling behaviour throughout the game. He gave the ref the perfect opportunity to stick it to him & he well & truly earned that decision.

I nearly fell off the lounge laughing!!!!

doyen

Bench
Any reports on injured Souths players i.e. Adam Reynolds.

Adam was only acting--again!!

I've learned over the past 2 yrs that when Adam writhes he's going to be OK!

It does briefly frighten me though when he writhes in pain but he's normally up & running in a trice!

southsport

First Grade
Adam was only acting--again!!

I've learned over the past 2 yrs that when Adam writhes he's going to be OK!

It does briefly frighten me though when he writhes in pain but he's normally up & running in a trice!

I hope you're right doyen but I heard that he said that his knee didn't feel too good after the game.

hurricane57

Juniors
Thanks for the info....I tried to run in a trice when I was overseas but the back wheel was actually square.

So I couldn't.

doyen

Bench
How is it that James Graham was not sent from the field and then be made face the hahaha judicary

That Graham is an absolute idiot & shouldn't be captain of a first grade side.

He was so for up the ref I thought he was going to BITE his balls off!!

Latest posts