What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St George Illawarra Dragons fans are rugby league's greatest complainers

Slackboy72

Coach
From the SMH: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ues-greatest-complainers-20150416-1mm5jc.html

St George Illawarra Dragons fans are rugby league's greatest complainers

St George Illawarra supporters could whinge for Australia.
Believe me, I know. I am one.
Whinging, as well as a dark sense of humour, is how we cope. It's how we deal with the barrage of abuse and hate from other fans, not least those closest to us who relish any opportunity to twist the knife.

1429192022154.jpg
Red, white and rabid: Dragons fans can take their passion too far sometimes. Photo: Getty Images

When Nathan Brown coached the Dragons, and his teams failed to live up to the rampant hype, his mates would often send him sly text messages during games.

"Oust Doust!" they would demand in reference to chief executive Peter Doust. "Down with Brown!"
In more recent times, the catch cry has been "Slice Price". (Former coach Steve Price was indeed sliced last year). Of late, "Bloody Mary" in reference to present coach Paul McGregor has been given a run.
It's how we cope.
Yet some Dragons fans have taken it further of late, showing they aren't real fans at all.
When the side won its fourth straight match on Sunday, defeating the depleted Bulldogs, some supporters continued spraying their invective on social media, claiming they wish their team had lost so the campaign to have everyone sacked at the joint venture could gather more momentum.
That's up there with booing your side when it leaves the field after a loss. Real fans don't boo. They also don't want their team to lose, under any circumstances.
As it stands, the Dragons head into Friday night's blockbuster against Wayne Bennett's ladder-leading Broncos at WIN Jubilee as an honest, solid outfit that's defending with the same determination as it did when Bennett was in charge and they won the premiership in 2010.
Fans should not underestimate how far Bennett set the club back last year when he agreed to join the club for this season, going so far as to assemble coaching staff, before backflipping.
It broke many hearts and left the club that respects him so much in the lurch.
Doust is known to be disappointed that Bennett decided to join Brisbane instead. In reality, if he had signed the master coach much of the anger often levelled at the long-serving administrator would not be at the all-time high it seems to be at right now.
A collision of issues during the warmer months have created much resentment among the Dragons faithful, turning them into the biggest off-season story since Julian O'Neill set alight Danny the Dolphin on a Port Macquarie river cruise.
The emotional departures of Brett Morris to the Bulldogs for this season and Trent Merrin to Penrith for the next have fuelled the fire.
As always, perception does not match reality.
Morris wanted to join twin brother Josh at Belmore, and the Dragons could not afford to pay a winger a fullback's salary, because they have Josh Dugan. It hurts to see him go. It hurt to see Josh go. But that's the business of rugby league. Manly felt similar pain with Glenn Stewart. The Sharks are about to feel it with Paul Gallen.
In terms of Merrin, the Dragons privately remain livid at the claims of him and his management that the club reneged on their initial offer. They don't want to get into a public slanging match with a present player, and it's not the club's style anyway.
The other player often mentioned is Jack Bird, who the Dragons let go to Cronulla. They only did so because their Shire rivals had promised him the first-grade starting position they could not.
The salary cap is a massive jigsaw puzzle for every club. They don't always get it right and the Dragons are certainly no exception.
Benji Marshall is playing strong, with typical flashes of brilliance, but suggestions he's "turned back the clock" are outlandish.
There are other issues such as the move to ANZ Stadium from Wollongong and Kogarah - it's all about money, baby - and the debates about accountability and "corporate governance" and Ousting Doust.
In the meantime, though, McGregor has his team playing with honesty and passion.
The former representative centre is doing the job for all the right reasons. He has a successful business away from footy, so he's not doing it for the money.
Those inside the club report that he's meticulous and not afraid to put players firmly back in their box if he must.
Supporters have every right to ask questions of their club. No supporter base asks more questions than the Dragons. It's how we cope.
But, as Bennett has said, repeatedly: "When you start listening to the fans, it won't be long until you start sitting with them."

Some more on Packer in the article.

Posting here so w can get some opinions from outside of JA.

dino2170

Juniors
utter bullshit, do we accept all all and not air our views, are we living in a communist society

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No, Canterbury supporters are the biggest whingers.

And thank you to the author of the article, telling us what a true supporter is. We need someone to do our thinking for us.

BennyV

Referee
Very strange, considering its from a Dragons fan. It completely misses the mark on what SOS is all about, and it condescending of a movement that wants the best from our club off the field in the long term (And has extensively expressed that).

Its the journalistic equivalent of the clowns in here who think that if you dont like our management, you should go support another team!

2010Dragons

Bench
“The squeakiest doors always get the most oil.”
Otherwise bend over and cop it dry, because the NRL/Media love to shaft the Dragons and us Supporters.

Maybe if we'd won more than one comp in 36 years we wouldn't whine quite so much. I intend to whinge loudly and persistently until we win the next one.

Saintsified

Bench
I agree totally but at the same time still in favour of ousting Doust hehe but I'll be OK if he turns the corner and does good again too.

saintjeff

Juniors
Its called being passionate .We have only won one comp..since 79.
Maybe the they should visit the one eyed eel website and see how many eels fans have a whinge.
Also maybe write an article about the dogs fans who are sore winners and losers.

The Nick

Bench
Andrew Webster is a Dragons tragic, just as much as anyone in here. In my opinion I also think he's the #1 Rugby League journalist.

He's also highly respected amongst the players, coaches and staff across the NRL, so it's worth remembering that he is privy to a lot of off the record information, therefore he may have better insights into how things work behind the scenes.

I don't think we all need to take this personally, I think it's directed at the unrelenting vocal critics out there like Objective View, Grouch etc who just death ride the side in the hope that poor results will validate their biased views. Their conversations around the Dragons are always one-track, and they provide no input into any discussion that doesn't (in their opinion) directly lead back to the supposed failures of Doust and his board. The proof is in the pudding that since the team has been doing well they've all of a sudden disappeared and are no longer interested in discussing the club.

I believe the overwhelming majority of our supporters are extremely loyal and dedicated, like the guy who holds the GST sign, spending countless $$$ following the team to show his support through thick and thin. However it can't be denied that there is a vocal minority out there hell bent on laying the boot into the club, and for a lot of us it becomes draining.

The Nick

Bench
Very strange, considering its from a Dragons fan. It completely misses the mark on what SOS is all about, and it condescending of a movement that wants the best from our club off the field in the long term (And has extensively expressed that).

Its the journalistic equivalent of the clowns in here who think that if you dont like our management, you should go support another team!

Personally I think SOS has missed the mark on what it's all about. Some of the questions levelled at Doust via Paul Kent were nothing short of stupid (eg asking about a business plan that was published last year highlights some of the ignorance).

The fact that SOS campaigners complain that they're being misrepresented shows that the message coming out isn't exactly clear cut.

Last edited:

BankstownDragon

Juniors
Andrew Webster is a Dragons tragic, just as much as anyone in here. In my opinion I also think he's the #1 Rugby League journalist.

He's also highly respected amongst the players, coaches and staff across the NRL, so it's worth remembering that he is privy to a lot of off the record information, therefore he may have better insights into how things work behind the scenes.

I don't think we all need to take this personally, I think it's directed at the unrelenting vocal critics out there like Objective View, Grouch etc who just death ride the side in the hope that poor results will validate their biased views. Their conversations around the Dragons are always one-track, and they provide no input into any discussion that doesn't (in their opinion) directly lead back to the supposed failures of Doust and his board. The proof is in the pudding that since the team has been doing well they've all of a sudden disappeared and are no longer interested in discussing the club.

I believe the overwhelming majority of our supporters are extremely loyal and dedicated, like the guy who holds the GST sign, spending countless $$$ following the team to show his support through thick and thin. However it can't be denied that there is a vocal minority out there hell bent on laying the boot into the club, and for a lot of us it becomes draining.

Mate I know he a Saints supporter and agreed he is a highly respected reporter.

I know he doesn't, but it almost sounds like he is working for the club, especially playing down their salary cap mismanagement, dismissing it as an across the board every club major problem.

Fact is we have the most poorly run salary cap administration in the comp. Whist other clubs are a mixed bag, we consistently f..k it up, very rarely getting it right.

Also he attempts to connect the teams recent successes on field as a credit to Doust and management. The full credit should go to Mary and his staff.

Cheers.

The Nick

Bench
Mate I know he a Saints supporter and agreed he is a highly respected reporter.

I know he doesn't, but it almost sounds like he is working for the club, especially playing down their salary cap mismanagement, dismissing it as an across the board every club major problem.

Fact is we have the most poorly run salary cap administration in the comp. Whist other clubs are a mixed bag, we consistently f..k it up, very rarely getting it right.

Also he attempts to connect the teams recent successes on field as a credit to Doust and management. The full credit should go to Mary and his staff.

Cheers.

What info are you privy to that qualifies this statement?

ellskimore

Juniors

Nailed it. Very well said.

BennyV

Referee
Personally I think SOS has missed the mark on what it's all about. Some of the questions levelled at Doust via Paul Kent were nothing short of stupid (eg asking about a business plan that was published last year highlights some of the ignorance).

The fact that SOS campaigners complain that they're being misrepresented shows that the message coming out isn't exactly clear cut.

The business plan was not published last year. Since Doust made that comment that it is publicly available, many people on JA (myself included) have looked for it, but there is only reference to it, no actual business plan.

What do you think SOS is all about? Not being accusatory, but maybe your view that it has missed the mark stems from the fact that you dont quite understand it. There are quite a few wrongly using SOS to target Doust or the teams performance, but you just have to read the statements made public by the movement to see what its actually about, and I cant see how its missed mark at all.

FTR, I am not part of the actual movement, but have contributed where possible and will support it, because I formly believe (seeing the dedication, skills and awareness of those behind it) that it will help see our club turn itself around off the field and become stronger in the long term.

to_ddeath

Coach
The business plan was not published last year. Since Doust made that comment that it is publicly available, many people on JA (myself included) have looked for it, but there is only reference to it, no actual business plan.

What do you think SOS is all about? Not being accusatory, but maybe your view that it has missed the mark stems from the fact that you dont quite understand it. There are quite a few wrongly using SOS to target Doust or the teams performance, but you just have to read the statements made public by the movement to see what its actually about, and I cant see how its missed mark at all.

FTR, I am not part of the actual movement, but have contributed where possible and will support it, because I formly believe (seeing the dedication, skills and awareness of those behind it) that it will help see our club turn itself around off the field and become stronger in the long term.

This. SOS is about positive change, best practices etc. It isn't meant to bring down the team, it focuses on what truly needs re-adjustment at board & management level. If only more could separate the on-field from the off-field for once to justify their argument, then perhaps there'd be a bit more respect for both sides of the coin...

T.

The Nick

Bench

Well that's exactly the issue. With regards to SOS I am firmly on the outside looking in, I don't know who exactly is behind it or what their exact goals are. As you've alluded to, there seems to be separate, perhaps less organised movements out there using the SOS banner to push their agenda, and the message is becoming skewed. I suppose the fact that elements that were vocal prior to our winning streak have now disappeared also skews the message because if SOS doesn't relate to on field performance, why is there a correlation?

I'll admit there does appear to be an element of the SOS movement that is intelligent, aware, dedicated and clear in their intentions and I respect that. However, even SOS campaigners have to admit that a lot of their support comes from disgruntled fans who automatically link poor on field performances with administrative failings whether right or wrong. If SOS campaigners' vocal support drops off whilst the team is winning (which it appears it has during the last few weeks) then this seriously undermines SOS's message.