What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: West Indies v England at Antigua, April 13-17 2015

Arthur Daily

Juniors
A gutsy ton by Blackwood has kept the Windies in the game but by every close of play England are ahead.
The bald coot bowled well constantly changing his flight and pace.
The pitch appears to be a featherweight but if you bowl well it can reward you.

undertaker

Coach
A gutsy ton by Blackwood has kept the Windies in the game but by every close of play England are ahead.
The bald coot bowled well constantly changing his flight and pace.
The pitch appears to be a featherweight but if you bowl well it can reward you.

I miss the good old minefields the Windies used to dish up. Could you imagine how phonys like Trott would go on pitches like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqoCYp3H1e4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIFB9W2ZPCI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpLM__6_tDE

He'd be booking the next available ticket back home before he knew it:lol:

vvvrulz

Coach
I miss the good old minefields the Windies used to dish up. Could you imagine how phonys like Trott would go on pitches like this:

He'd be booking the next available ticket back home before he knew it:lol:

Which is why I have full respect for the likes of Atherton, Hick, Stewart etc. who got bashed and bullied but just kept fronting up over and over again. You never saw Athers chicken out of a battle against Ambrose even though he lost all the time.

Half the results of this current crop, but twice the backbone.

undertaker

Coach
Which is why I have full respect for the likes of Atherton, Hick, Stewart etc. who got bashed and bullied but just kept fronting up over and over again. You never saw Athers chicken out of a battle against Ambrose even though he lost all the time.

Half the results of this current crop, but twice the backbone.

You can add at least another 5-10 runs to the batting averages of all those batsmen during the 70s/80s/90s had they been playing today on flat pitches against much inferior bowling attacks. That variable, steep bounce that caused Gooch's broken hand reminded me a lot of the old WACA from the '90s when it was a fast bowling paradise.

And on the topic of Poms who really bore the brunt of the Windies, how about this famous lethal spell by Ian Bishop bowling to Robin Smith in 1990:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzxZ2rR4jPQ

One of the best players of West Indian fast bowling, yet was dicked by selectors the minute he struggled against spinners (mind you, he wasn't the only Pom who struggled against Warney)

Bishop would've definitely gone down alongside the names of Marshall, Ambrose, Holding as one of the greatest fast bowlers of all time had he not been decimated with injuries. Such a shame his career was cut terribly short. Top commentator and analyst as well. The likes of James Brayshaw could learn a lot from him in that regard.

Last edited:

Arthur Daily

Juniors
And on the topic of Poms who really bore the brunt of the Windies, how about this famous lethal spell by Ian Bishop bowling to Robin Smith in 1990:

One of the best players of West Indian fast bowling, yet was dicked by selectors the minute he struggled against spinners (mind you, he wasn't the only Pom who struggled against Warney)

Thats the true the faster and shorter the bowling Robin Smith was usually more comfortable. His top score of 175 was against Walsh and Ambrose on the lifeless road Lara made his 375.

Arthur Daily

Juniors
Good ton for Ballance his 4th in 9 tests.
Good to see a young kid get runs while more senior players struggle and should be put out to pasture. Root, Stokes, Ali and Buttler are a way forward for England Trott is not.
England should either put Ali to opener next test or give Lyth a go.

Anyone see the catch Jordan took in the slips ? a beauty.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
That's a pretty good rearguard innings from a bowler who can bat. That's his first century in first class cricket and what a good way to bring it up. Really gutsy stuff from the windies tail.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Jimmy Anderson becomes England's greatest ever wicket taker by surpassing Sir Beefy.

Been a pretty good bower for the poms over the years

Red Bear

Referee
Love Holders attitude. Hope his bowling kicks on, has a good action just needs a yard or two of extra pace I suspect. But a very good fighting knock from him and good work from the Windies to fight that one out

vvvrulz

Coach
Finally the Windies show a bit of pride and fight.
I hope they kick on from this and smash the poms next time.

Don't know how I feel about Anderson becoming England's greatest wicket taker.
By numbers he's got the record but he's very far from the best bowler they're produced.

Red Bear

Referee
Anderson is very good, he just took a while to hit his straps. Early career numbers dreadful but he's been solid for a long time.

Latest posts