What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 Team vs Titans

betcats

Referee
I think it would help his confidence if he got a start but Cleary is the coach lol

He isnt high enough in the pecking order to start when we are healthy and for good reason. He is certainly good enough with some injuries in the backrow but not when we are lacking go forward and his form is indifferent.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think it would help his confidence if he got a start but Cleary is the coach lol

Needs more gametime. How many times last year was he 18th man and didn't play a game fullstop? Again this week same thing. Some one like Anderson should do that role this week

betcats

Referee
Needs more gametime. How many times last year was he 18th man and didn't play a game fullstop? Again this week same thing. Some one like Anderson should do that role this week

how many was there? I dont think it was more than 2 off the top of my head.

Pomoz

Bench
I agree with alot of your posts but seriously? Matured physically? He's 6'3 and 110kg.

All he needs to do is get his hands on the ball more often and not look for the offload every time he touches it. He is also a devastating runner when he wants to be and needs to mix things up.
Yep, he is big, but men don't reach their physical peak until their early twenties. Strength and power athletes need a few years of hard core training before their bodies reach their peak and can handle the work load. There is plenty of evidence to support that, including the fact that most players in the NRL are 22 or older. Usain Bolt was 22 when he started breaking records and winning medals. Obviously, everybody is different but I'm sure Bryce is going to get stronger and better as his body matures.

Incidentally, he is also coming back from a broken leg that required surgery. He is a long way from a full recovery for such a bad injury. I expect he still gets pain and swelling from it even now.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
Good stat of every Jennings player that has played for the Panthers, has scored on their debut.

Sneaky for first try scorer, or at least during the match..

betcats

Referee
Yep, he is big, but men don't reach their physical peak until their early twenties. Strength and power athletes need a few years of hard core training before their bodies reach their peak and can handle the work load. There is plenty of evidence to support that, including the fact that most players in the NRL are 22 or older. Usain Bolt was 22 when he started breaking records and winning medals. Obviously, everybody is different but I'm sure Bryce is going to get stronger and better as his body matures.

Incidentally, he is also coming back from a broken leg that required surgery. He is a long way from a full recovery for such a bad injury. I expect he still gets pain and swelling from it even now.

Well put, this is what I meant Frankus.

Everybody differs a bit but most people arent peaking physically until early/mid twenties, by that I dont mean growing which usually is pretty much done by 20 I beleive. Im 25 now and no sort of athlete but I when I was 20 my measurements would of been very similar to when I was 23 but I know for a fact with similar amounts of exercise I was stronger, tougher and probably faster. Just playing in my local bball comp I could see all that.

Frankus

Juniors
OK. I understand now.

That's true I guess. Phelps was 22-23 when he won 8 gold medals in Beijing.

Fibroman

First Grade
All athletes mature/reach their peaks at different rates, but you can certainly generalise in respect to when 'most' athletes in a certain sport hit their peak.

The East Germans and other countries behind the iron curtain certainly studied and enforced who could do which sports based of physical attributes, age etc.back in the 50's and 60's. They even had blokes running around in ladies events, they were that good at it. All in the goal of cleaning up medals at the Olympics.

Swimmers and gymnasts often hit their peak in their late teens - early 20's as opposed to distance runners and cyclists who often peak in their mid 30's.

Personally, I don't think most forwards would hit their physical peak until at least mid 20's. A classic example is Petero Civ, who I don't think really hit his peak till his early 30's.

I think Bryce has all the skills to go on and be one of our all time best forwards, but personally, I think he needs to play the game a bit tougher. He needs more aggression in his defence, and sometimes he just needs to charge at the line and not even think about an offload. A bit of time in NSW cup would probably be good for his confidence. He would absolutely dominate at that level. He's probably a few years off hitting his physical peak.

Puntastic

Juniors
Did the 20's commentators just say Penrith (firsts) have a late withdrawal?

Edit: that smiley with a shit eating grin was not intentional...

Last edited: