What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 Team List: Dragons v Broncos

TheRev

First Grade
Just read this from Marys Press Conference:

"Defence was the key to the win tonight. Benji was poked in the eye and he had split vision so he didn't take part in the game for 20 minutes there until he could see again," McGregor said.

That makes a lot of sense, as to why Widdop took control.. Pretty sure the broncos bloke got Benji twice in the eye, might have been an accident but looked like he was trying to work him over a bit.

kit66

Bench
Just read this from Marys Press Conference:

"Defence was the key to the win tonight. Benji was poked in the eye and he had split vision so he didn't take part in the game for 20 minutes there until he could see again," McGregor said.

That makes a lot of sense, as to why Widdop took control.. Pretty sure the broncos bloke got Benji twice in the eye, might have been an accident but looked like he was trying to work him over a bit.

That incident needs to be reviewed, looked to me like McCullough did that on purpose.

kit66

Bench
Not as crisp as last week but we still got the 2 points. Marvellous.
Short turnaround, Benji injured, Marketo's dud missile attack ruling him out and I think Creagh under the weather ( 23 minutes ? ) all contributed to a less than sparkling attack. A lot of very poor last tackle options again - we really need to work on that. Teach our wingers how and when to kick for a start.
Our defence though - I said a couple of weeks ago that there's something very 2010 about our defence and here we are again with less than 11 points per game against us. I keep expecting my wife to be shaking me and I'll wake up and go " aw f*ck....I knew it ". But it's real and how f*cking good is it to be back ?
Great work Mary and the boys, just beyond everyone's expectations, I'm so proud of them.

Mr Red

First Grade
Good test for the forwards with the Broncos perhaps being the most physical pack to date.
We held our own especially in the second half when we were under the pump. Very pleasing defence and commitment.

Our kicking game was better with widdop as marshal was a bit erratic.
Massive turning point when Dugans wayward drop kick found touch, had this gone out on the full I doubt we would have defended another set as we were dead on our feet at that point. Also not sure on the decision to let Farrell take first hit up from the tap and get belted.. A back should never take the first hit up in that situation if the defensive line is set.

All in all a very committed performance, I do think however we need to get more in general play from Nabuli, was too quiet for my liking...

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
Not as crisp as last week but we still got the 2 points. Marvellous.
Short turnaround, Benji injured, Marketo's dud missile attack ruling him out and I think Creagh under the weather ( 23 minutes ? ) all contributed to a less than sparkling attack. A lot of very poor last tackle options again - we really need to work on that. Teach our wingers how and when to kick for a start.
Our defence though - I said a couple of weeks ago that there's something very 2010 about our defence and here we are again with less than 11 points per game against us. I keep expecting my wife to be shaking me and I'll wake up and go " aw f*ck....I knew it ". But it's real and how f*cking good is it to be back ?
Great work Mary and the boys, just beyond everyone's expectations, I'm so proud of them.

How bad could they be? We force more goal line drop outs than any other team.

giboz71

First Grade
Our kicking game was a bit off last night, the 7 tackle rule when we kick it dead killed us in the first half. Credit to our defence we didn't leak more points.

Also, please leave the kicking to Widdop and Benji, it's clear Farrell and Dugan can't do it....just run hard when you get the ball lads, kicking is not your game

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It was a fantastic atmosphere last night.

As the match went on, the crowd got louder and louder, really getting behind the team. Singing and chanting, cheering every tackle late in the game. At one point it looked like the whole grandstand was on its feet.

Afterwards, 'When The Saints Go Marching In' was being sung down Jubilee Avenue and this spilled over onto the Princes Hwy.

Home ground advantage is real.

DirtyHarry

Juniors
It was a fantastic atmosphere last night.

As the match went on, the crowd got louder and louder, really getting behind the team. Singing and chanting, cheering every tackle late in the game. At one point it looked like the whole grandstand was on its feet.

Afterwards, 'When The Saints Go Marching In' was being sung down Jubilee Avenue and this spilled over onto the Princes Hwy.

Home ground advantage is real.

Disappointing crowd though just on 13 000, but as you say it was a great atmosphere. Maybe the threat of rain kept people away

FlameThrower

Bench
Ground capacity is 22000 according to Wikipedia- so 13k was not a great result, with us 4 in a row at that stage... I'm sure if it had been a another Sydney team we would have seen another 5k easy on the crowd numbers.. Even so atmosphere was great on the night....

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I don't think they allow 22K in there.

But yes, just imagine how good the atmosphere would have been with an extra 5,000 people. There are a ton of reasons for this, but let's not dwell on that.

Suffice to say, if you were not at the game, you missed out on something great. Best advice is not miss out on the next one.

Next game at Kogarah is against our dear friends from the Shire.

Sunday May 31, Kick off 3:00 PM. Saints v Sharks.

Let's pack it out!

Como Connection

First Grade
I don't think they allow 22K in there.

But yes, just imagine how good the atmosphere would have been with an extra 5,000 people. There are a ton of reasons for this, but let's not dwell on that.

Suffice to say, if you were not at the game, you missed out on something great. Best advice is not miss out on the next one.

Next game at Kogarah is against our dear friends from the Shire.

Sunday May 31, Kick off 3:00 PM. Saints v Sharks.

Let's pack it out!

Hi Willo, back from USA a week before that, will be there

big pat

Coach
G'day Como. Hope you are enjoying the hols. The yanks are nice people... just don't mention the war.

Let me know where you'll be.

you can catch up with como, at kogarah rsl, 3schooners and a pie for $12, hope they haven't put the price while you're away.