What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: West Indies v England at Barbados May 1-5, 2015

TheParraboy

Staff member
So with Trott failing spectacularly across the whole series, the Poms now need to pick a new opener for the series against New Zealand. It's either the unproven Adam Lyth, or Sam 'I really should have played for Australia' Robson.

Either way, they will have to somehow find their feet against arguably the best new ball pair in the world right now in Southee and Boult before trying to get England going in the Ashes.

Their whole batting lineup fills me with confidence this winter:

Cook - Well and truly past his best.
Trott - Gone. Whoever comes in will be in the firing line from minute one.
Ballance - Flat track bully.
Bell - Past his best.
Root - Only one worth feeding currently.
Moeen - Talented, but in the side for his bowling not batting.
Stokes - Has gone downhill rapidly since the Ashes here.
Butler - Good counter-attacker but still more of an ODI player.

Couple that with the fact that Jordan looks about as threatening as Trent Copeland and Broad is absolutely done as an international bowler and the Ashes should be coming home this winter.

Agree with all that

Had Lehmann had control of the side 6 months earlier last ashes tour, we may have won that series. Id be pretty dissapointed if we don't retain the ashes this winter

Having said all that, Didn't WI beat NZ in a test match over there last year? Supposedly NZs best ever year in test cricket. We should be wary of the WIs when we are there

Mr Spock!

Referee
Can't believe how poorly Broad is batting. He is truly worse than McGrath now. Can't believe he's got test 100s.

Since copping that ball in the face against India, Broad's batting confidence is lost.

McDermott was the same. I remember he got hammered once and from then on in his last 4-5 years in tests, he was meek pussycat who'd dangle the bat and step away from the ball.

That said, I get wary of plods in 6th grade cricket, can't begin to imagine if Broad has demons from being hit what he must think about Southee and Boult, Mitchell Johnson, Starc, Hazlewood and Harris looming.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
There was actually a very decent crowd in this contest,maybe test cricket not dead and buried just yet in the Windies

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
England batsman Jonathan Trott has retired from international cricket with immediate effect after a disappointing tour of the West Indies.

Trott only returned to the England side last month following an extended break from the game due to a stress-related illness but scored a meagre 72 runs, including three ducks, at an average of just 12 in the three-Test series against the West Indies.

"This was a tough decision but I don't feel my game is at the level needed to play for England," Trott, 34, said in an England and Wales Cricket Board statement on Tuesday morning.

"I was honoured to come back and play international cricket again and I'm disappointed it didn't work out.

"I want to wish the lads all the very best for what will be an incredibly exciting summer.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-...m-international-cricket/6444602?section=sport

lols

JW

Coach
Hardly a surprise now. Trott would be bricking it facing a Mick Lewis half volley at the Wanderers.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
A massive chunk of that crowd were Poms on holidays though.

Yeah true dat,did notice when England got wickets there was some loud cheers from the crowd,i think there was still a decent turn out of Windies fans,either way it was good to see some people in the stands for a Windies test.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
I remember back in the day waking up before school at like 6am and watching live Windies vs Australia games and seeing Gordon Greenidge and Desmond Haynes destroying us,beast openers.

Arthur Daily

Juniors
So with Trott failing spectacularly across the whole series, the Poms now need to pick a new opener for the series against New Zealand. It's either the unproven Adam Lyth, or Sam 'I really should have played for Australia' Robson.
Their whole batting lineup fills me with confidence this winter:

Cook - Well and truly past his best.
Trott - Gone. Whoever comes in will be in the firing line from minute one.
Ballance - Flat track bully.
Bell - Past his best.
Root - Only one worth feeding currently.
Moeen - Talented, but in the side for his bowling not batting.
Stokes - Has gone downhill rapidly since the Ashes here.
Butler - Good counter-attacker but still more of an ODI player.

I wouldn't go the sky is falling yet.
The next 7 tests will be played on home soil. Chances are most of the wickets will be flat to nullify Southee, Boult and Johnson somewhat.

Cook will never replicate his 2010 ashes form. But he is far from finished. his past 10 innings have averaged a tick over 52 with 1 century and 5 fifties. Though he will be under enormous pressure for the ashes.

Correct Ballance thrives on flat tracks and his 62 average will come down. But he can be quite stubborn to remove.

Bell rocks and diamonds. Which for a player with his vast array of shot selections is a disgrace. Bell would be one of the few players playing today that can adjust his game to suit all conditions. He is very strong all around the wicket but he has way too much rubbish in his game.

Root is all class a once in a generation player.

Stokes has talent but has been handled very badly by the coaching staff.

Moeen's not a bad bowler he surprised many last year with 19 wickets against India. He seems to be struggling coming back from abdominal injury. The jury is still out on his batting but he showed great resolve scoring an unbeaten century against Sri Lanka last year when most of his team-mates threw in the towel.

Buttler is a good hitter but needs to be cleaner behind the stumps. He offers more than Prior who is past it now.

Broad is struggling with bat and ball. Should be dropped to fire him up but Eng don't have the depth

Anderson chimes in when the conditions suit him and gets his wickets in chucks then he goes missing for a few matches.

Eng have no 3rd seamer. Jordan is a long way off being a quality test bowler and Plunkett offers little.

The time Lyth comes in to debut he will have played no decent cricket for a month, a task made harder for his test debut.

vvvrulz

Coach
lol @ Trott

Had a tough series and decides to quit, typical really
As I said in another thread, Atherton and his boys back in the days just kept soldiering on...

Latest posts