What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

insert.pause

First Grade
It's heading for a classic political compromise which will satisfy no one and end up slapping lipstick on a pig only to be left a decade later with the same issues.

PLANS to build an $800 *million sports stadium at Moore Park, in Sydney’s east, have been torpedoed.

Widespread anger over the plan, revealed in The Daily Telegraph this week, has forced sport minister Stuart Ayres and the government’s stadium adviser, *former Liberal leader John Brogden, to amend a report due next week.

The report will now recommend that a new super trust be created to manage major stadiums, including ANZ at Sydney Olympic Park, Allianz and the Sydney Cricket Ground at Moore Park and the major football grounds at Parramatta, Newcastle and Wollongong.

High-level sources said the amended Brogden report — which will be delayed until the end of the month — will outline different “options” for the Baird government to consider, depending on how much money is *allocated to modernising Sydney’s stadiums.

The change is a blow to the high-powered Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust and NRL chief Dave Smith, who has been pushing for a new 65,000-seat *stadium at Moore Park.

Mr Brogden had told the Centennial Park and Moore Park Trust last week his *preferred option was to build the 65,000-seat stadium on its land between Anzac Pde and Driver Ave. He said that under his plan, Allianz would be demolished when the new stadium was completed and a smaller multi-sports venue built on that site.

Mr Ayres told several people that under this plan, no money would be spent upgrading the 83,500-seat ANZ, Sydney’s biggest *stadium for major events.

But news of the plan caused outrage from the Centennial Park Trust and local residents, as well as NRL teams Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs and Souths Rabbitohs, who play home games at ANZ.

Federal minister Malcolm Turnbull, whose electorate takes in Moore Park, spoke to Mr Ayres for 30 minutes yesterday, outlining residents’ concerns over traffic congestion and a lack of planning procedures.

State Treasury officials privately expressed reservations over whether the *government should spend up to $900 million at Moore Park, as well as $400 million on a new 35,000-seat *stadium at Parramatta.

Football Federation *Australia boss David Gallop also warned Sydney would lose major events, like the Chelsea football match next month, if it pulled funding from ANZ.

Mr Baird has consistently said since last year that only about $300 million had been allocated to modernise Allianz as part of a $600 million stadium fund. Sources maintain the Premier still believes about half of the $600 *million should be spent upgrading Parramatta Stadium and improving ANZ.

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/news...ry-fni0cx12-1227344436177#load-story-comments

big hit!

Bench
i can't believe that there was ever talk about building a 65k capacity venue at Moore Park, and releasing proposed plans such as building it on public land not belonging to the SCG Trust. f**king dumb in the extreme. what did they think was going to be the community reaction???

SFS needs an upgrade, but 35-40k is about right for that venue. It doesn't need to be bulldozed and replaced with a bigger facility.

I'm an inner city/west fella myself, and even I realise that funds should be spent on a Western Sydney facility. A 35-40k venue out there is absolutely important for both rugby league and football in the metropolitan.

Upgrade SFS.
Upgrade Parra or build a 35-40k facility further in Western Sydney with associated infrastructure investment to the venue.
Upgrade Stadium Australia to make it more suitable for rectangular sports. If it means reducing capacity to 70-75k, so be it.

Absolutely no f**kin' dome's on any facility. What a waste of f**kin' money. Ensure roofs extend to the pitch on any new facilities, but the extra cost of making them indoors is better spent elsewhere.

Any leftovers (there won't be after all the consultation and waste so common with govt projects) should go to any of upgrading the northern beaches (manly), southern sydney (st george and cronulla to share) and penrith.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Well the good news is that we'll have some nice drama to follow this winter. Who needs GoT.

edit:
Link to old thread.

Plan for posterity.
490797-anz-stadium.jpg

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Im personally of the opinion that the Olympic park is the place to focus on for major games, so id rather the money be spent there....

I dont know if its even possible for ANZ to be reshaped to any real effect or whether it should just be torn down. I reckon the capacity debate is a bit overstated; id rather a good 50-60k than a shitty 100k stadium.

And they should do more to provide transport links between their and Parramatta!! An easy connection like that (a tram line or something) would improve the pregame pubcrawl massively.

Dogs Of War

Coach
And they should do more to provide transport links between their and Parramatta!! An easy connection like that (a tram line or something) would improve the pregame pubcrawl massively.

They should just run the trains straight to the ground. They don't have to use the shuttle at Lidcombe cause the trains can bypass that. I understand why they use the shuttle because it's hard to ensure that people are going to the right location, but just make those special services go to different areas every second train. Those who want to change trains at Lidcombe can still do so.

gallagher

Juniors
How about a new 35k stadium at homebush while keeping ANZ. Clubs commit to home games at the homebush precinct but could alternate between venues depending on expected crowds.

applesauce

Bench
How about a new 35k stadium at homebush while keeping ANZ. Clubs commit to home games at the homebush precinct but could alternate between venues depending on expected crowds.

Great idea. That means as well if a game sells out in the 35k venue early, they can shift it next door if available without inconveniencing fans.

GAZF

First Grade
The report will now recommend that a new super trust be created to manage major stadiums, including ANZ at Sydney Olympic Park, Allianz and the Sydney Cricket Ground at Moore Park and the major football grounds at Parramatta, Newcastle and Wollongong.

I don't know how the super trust would work but would it mean that clubs would have no leverage in negotiating stadium deals, similar to the issue with Stadiums Qld? Would the NRL have to step in and negotiate for all Sydney clubs?

gallagher

Juniors
Great idea. That means as well if a game sells out in the 35k venue early, they can shift it next door if available without inconveniencing fans.

Exactly. Maybe some money spent on the train line so you don't have to change at Lidcombe. homebush would have to be the most central location.

andrew057

First Grade
Should the NRL consider buying/leasing Stadium Australia?

With the Swans moving their finals to the the SCG for the next however many decades, the NRL could offer to contribute in the redesign/construction to make the stadium permanently rectangular.

Von Neumann

Juniors
Im personally of the opinion that the Olympic park is the place to focus on for major games, so id rather the money be spent there....

I dont know if its even possible for ANZ to be reshaped to any real effect or whether it should just be torn down. I reckon the capacity debate is a bit overstated; id rather a good 50-60k than a shitty 100k stadium.

Agree here. The entire stadium plan was essentially cutting money to spend money and we'd still be left with some problems. The precinct might need a bit of work, but this is stuff that should come over years.

Rather that quality smaller stadium

I dont know what they can do to the end stands. I'd wish they knock it down and build a new stadium. I would not be reccommending their existing plans in this environment. That'd be nice to do what they claimed they wanted to do - good stuff - but anz overall probably does not need an upgrade on public funds.

Someone just needs a game-day pub/entertainment place near the stadium worth going to. Its a big area they could probably build something.

___

The realization dawned on me recently what was happening, which I outline in this post:

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=445837

__

They probably should leave the actual ANZ as it is. And the SFS. Rugby league crowds themselves have room to grow still.

Take a look round sydney - ANZ and SFS are on a level of their own. They are the best stadiums, I fail to see how they are in danger/require rebuilding (from a pragmatic and prudent point of view).

What they need to do, in line with the article, is essentially what I (and obviously others now/then) thought...and was gradually build up a select few stadia as required. Hey, they may decide it great to build a smaller stadium at liverpool or another location in 5 years time, one at Manly, I dont know.

But to throw all the eggs into one basket at this point in time, especially when they had to dent the money bag (and leave the purse empty, so to speak) seems strange.

Point being, things will only get better with stadia over time, not worse, now they have this new authority. I think the best option, and I could be 100% wrong to you, but it would be to build the light rail to the SFS. That would be better than building the new stadium first so long as they know where the new stadium will be one day, no sense having to eventually walk too far.

Should the NRL consider buying/leasing Stadium Australia?

With the Swans moving their finals to the the SCG for the next however many decades, the NRL could offer to contribute in the redesign/construction to make the stadium permanently rectangular.

I hope they look into it.

I don't know how the super trust would work but would it mean that clubs would have no leverage in negotiating stadium deals, similar to the issue with Stadiums Qld? Would the NRL have to step in and negotiate for all Sydney clubs?

I think it will just make managing deals so much easier if they were all able to come to the table at once; then the govt won't have to over estimate rent (i mean give a better deal than otherwise) because they know exactly the amount of costs involved, and more clubs using means less cost borne to each.

i can't believe that there was ever talk about building a 65k capacity venue at Moore Park, and releasing proposed plans such as building it on public land not belonging to the SCG Trust. f**king dumb in the extreme. what did they think was going to be the community reaction???

SFS needs an upgrade, but 35-40k is about right for that venue. It doesn't need to be bulldozed and replaced with a bigger facility.

I'm an inner city/west fella myself, and even I realise that funds should be spent on a Western Sydney facility. A 35-40k venue out there is absolutely important for both rugby league and football in the metropolitan.

Upgrade SFS.
Upgrade Parra or build a 35-40k facility further in Western Sydney with associated infrastructure investment to the venue.
Upgrade Stadium Australia to make it more suitable for rectangular sports. If it means reducing capacity to 70-75k, so be it.

Absolutely no f**kin' dome's on any facility. What a waste of f**kin' money. .

Special mention in my post to your post, plenty of golden common sense in that.

Basically my new overall position has changed. Look at the benefits Souths and Bulldogs have received from ANZ. Look at the matches that ANZ brings into this country by being 80k+. Its a template of sorts for other league clubs, is it not? And its something that should probably only be strengthened. May not get that ideal stadium everyone craves by knocking down ANZ, but one has to now lean heavily on fortifying ANZ as sydney's best stadium. Surely. And whats more, the NRL must be involved somehow in it. The running of the stadium I mean.

Im not saying go to it because its "second-best"....im saying some people, from attendees who moan about the seating, to commenter's, myself have not appreciated the thing -- and also, that given the govts position, people really have a chance to make ANZ what it should be. Ive sat on the sides before. Its bloody alright.

Sydney is not the ideal city, as many have mentioned, in terms of its layouts. Its not going to receive the typical treatment of CBD only stadia; sydney is its own city with its own solution. Parra is growing, the whole region is growing. They need parra and manly as well, somehow (manly not on public funds probably, ditto cronulla)....and they need light rail to sfs and a little bit of a spruce up. They need to get rid of the seat capping arrangement for other stadia, and they could very well pave the way for a future upgrade of the SFS (it could probably make much better use of the space internally in the stadium; i say gut it and re-do it: two rings of seats going all the way round).

I honestly think a new sfs would have just been somebody's play-thing first, and community-oriented second.

Go ANZ. Who cares, now. Lets play some footy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd l I ve to see both stadiums fixed up. I like homebush cause its close to home but I also like sfs cause it has plenty of pubs. .. go pub scene
Can't stand the brewery at homebush, crap over priced beer.. . Needs more pubs!

alien

Referee
you guys can come to the new souths leagues club which will be right near anz stadium when it opens ;)

10603868_159927544177794_1926719328082693256_o.jpg

beave

Coach
How. The top tiers are too far back, the lower bowl angle isn't steep enough. The joint is woeful for rectangular sports.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Have you seen crowds? All this talk of 80k, 65k, 35k stadiums is silly. If we can get the nrl avg up to 25k in the next twenty years it will be a miracle. Forget ANZ, improve Allianz and get 3-4 decent 25k stadiums built.

Brutus

Referee
Have you seen crowds? All this talk of 80k, 65k, 35k stadiums is silly. If we can get the nrl avg up to 25k in the next twenty years it will be a miracle. Forget ANZ, improve Allianz and get 3-4 decent 25k stadiums built.

Sydney still needs a big rectangular stadium for big rectangular sporting events. ANZ Stadium can be that stadium. Just re-build the f**ker.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
How. The top tiers are too far back, the lower bowl angle isn't steep enough. The joint is woeful for rectangular sports.

Sydney still needs a big rectangular stadium for big rectangular sporting events. ANZ Stadium can be that stadium. Just re-build the f**ker.

East-West. Do my East-West thing!!!!

we've got the money for it now. :D:D

unr0.png

Last edited:

Latest posts