What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alternate Scenario - But alas He's A Rookie Coach

TheRam

Coach
Lets just pause for a minute and see what might of been if our rookie coach had gone another way, Sliding Doors style if you like.

Firstly there was Ryan Hoffman. The Warriors reportedly picked him up for around $650k a season.
Then there is Marika Koroibete who I am sure hasn't cost the Storm more then $200k.
Then there is Blake Austin, what a pickup for Canberra.
And finally Dale Cherry-Evans who is reportedly on $1.2m a season at the Titan from next year.

Now how come our rookie coach who was also at the Storm and I'm sure had a great relationship with those players, didn't/couldn't get Hoff to the Eels? Considering blind Freddy, when accessing these things would always take a punt on a guy that has played less NRL games and is at least equal in ability to who he signed in Watmough.

I mean if he was looking for attitude and leadership qualities, without the loud mouth crap and dickhead baggage then Hoff is streets ahead and by all reports cheaper.

And what about Koroibete. This guy was languishing next door at the Tigers last year and for the life of me I could not see why. When looking at our own backline last year other then Hayne, Radrada and Sandow, there is very little real speed and talent at the club that could or can play NRL. So then why not throw a few crumbs at the Fijian flyer? I'm sure that if we had a crack at him and the fact that we have Radradra and that he would not of had to move to another State, he would of been ours.

Also the very same can be said for Austin. The guy was braining it even last year in a team that was jerking him around and playing him in virtually every position in the backline and hooker. Again after seeing how inconsistent both Corey Norman and Sandow have been since they both arrived at Parra, then why not take a punt on a player that brings in all the energy and attitude and consistency that no player at Parra has shown for years at relatively cheap rates and again he would not have had to move cities and away from family. Once again I'm sure if shown the right kind of love he would/could of been ours.

Now we come to the most important signing our club would of made in its history, DCE. The rumours were rife that we were looking at him way before we were looking at Foran. But then we started to look at Watmough and DCE rumours were replaced with Foran ones.

Well we all know that Foran and Watmough are mates, but Watmough and DCE are not, so by chasing Watmough DCE was no chance.

But if rookie coach had thought this through clearer, then he would have realised that genuine playmaking halfbacks win you titles. So considering that DCE's management are not happy that their client is leaving Sydney because it will stifle his media aspirations, we would of been a massive chance. We also have one of his best mates here already in Darcy Lussick which is another great hook on the table. So why brush the best young play maker in the game for a hard working one for the same insane dollars???

So if rookie coach had really been thinking like a winner, he would of made something like this his and our reality. Then you throw in someone like Beau Scott, even though old and busted still a good player ala Luke O'Donnell when picked up by the Roosters or Trent Merrin and boy do you have a team that can go places.

Instead we are looking at players like Daniel Tupou who is reportedly asking for $300k a season and has a lazy attitude. Fits right in with the culture at the Eels I hear you say, right?

Well some might say that hindsight is a wonderful thing, but these are scenarios that I and others have and did suggest at the time when they were playing out, but all we get is that we are so negative statements from the majority.

But ultimately isn't it the coach and his staff paid to get it right more times then wrong. Well from where I sit the only signing that he has gotten right is Danny Wicks, genuine quality and Reece Robinson as a filler.

Like I have said before, rookie coach has made way to many signing errors and it will affect the club for at least 3 more years and I don't think he will be here after 2016-17, depending on how long it takes the board to swallow their pride.

It is very sad how we just don't seem to ever get it right. That is why I have massive misgivings on them making the right call on the retention of both Pauli Pauli and Peni Terepo. I can see another F**kup just waiting to happen.

Last edited:
Instead we are looking at players like Anthony Tupou who is reportedly asking for $300k a season and has a lazy attitude. Fits right in with the culture at the Eels I hear you say, right?

First I've heard of it. We don't need another backrower, certainly not one with a busted jaw.

Better get back to the Supreme Court challenge.

Bazal

Post Whore
Lol, what a load of dribble.

-Hoffman is on overs, and we already have players filling his role. If we signed Hoffman rather than Watmough you could absolutely kiss Pauli goodbye, and probably Tepai or Edwards as well. We need starch, not more hole runners.

-Why in gods name would Austin even talk to us? We have two starting halves. He left because he wanted to start. In the halves. Even if we shipped Sandow or Norman around, we'd be stuck paying three starting halves. That definitely seems like a pretty stupid idea to me.

-Koroibete has exploded this year. Last year he was a promising kid with no guarantees, a lot if deficiency in his game and a shit attitude. You don't think we have enough attitude issues already?

-DCE is a spoilt little shit with an ego bigger than a Texan rancher. Foran suits what we need far better than he does. Simple.

Personally i think you should go back to being scared of airplane exhausts and give up thinking about footy.

Chipmunk

Coach

-Hoffman is on overs, and we already have players filling his role. If we signed Hoffman rather than Watmough you could absolutely kiss Pauli goodbye, and probably Tepai or Edwards as well. We need starch, not more hole runners.

-Why in gods name would Austin even talk to us? We have two starting halves. He left because he wanted to start. In the halves. Even if we shipped Sandow or Norman around, we'd be stuck paying three starting halves. That definitely seems like a pretty stupid idea to me.

-Koroibete has exploded this year. Last year he was a promising kid with no guarantees, a lot if deficiency in his game and a shit attitude. You don't think we have enough attitude issues already?

-DCE is a spoilt little shit with an ego bigger than a Texan rancher. Foran suits what we need far better than he does. Simple.

Personally i think you should go back to being scared of airplane exhausts and give up thinking about footy.

Koroibete is typical of the type of player that works at the Storm and works nowhere else. Bellyache and the Big 3 are masters of getting great things out of pretty average players. They even managed to get Ben Roberts and the word useful together!

Last edited:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Well said

Lets just pause for a minute and see what might of been if our rookie coach had gone another way, Sliding Doors style if you like.

Firstly there was Ryan Hoffman. The Warriors reportedly picked him up for around $650k a season.
Then there is Marika Koroibete who I am sure hasn't cost the Storm more then $200k.
And finally Dale Cherry-Evans who is reportedly on $1.2m a season at the Titan from next year.

Now how come our rookie coach who was also at the Storm and I'm sure had a great relationship with those players, didn't/couldn't get Hoff to the Eels? Considering blind Freddy, when accessing these things would always take a punt on a guy that has played less NRL games and is at least equal in ability to who he signed in Watmough.

I mean if he was looking for attitude and leadership qualities, without the loud mouth crap and dickhead baggage then Hoff is streets ahead and by all reports cheaper.

And what about Koroibete. This guy was languishing next door at the Tigers last year and for the life of me I could not see why. When looking at our own backline last year other then Hayne, Radrada and Sandow, there is very little real speed and talent at the club that could or can play NRL. So then why not throw a few crumbs at the Fijian flyer? I'm sure that if we had a crack at him and the fact that we have Radradra and that he would not of had to move to another State, he would of been ours.

Also the very same can be said for Austin. The guy was braining it even last year in a team that was jerking him around and playing him in virtually every position in the backline and hooker. Again after seeing how inconsistent both Corey Norman and Sandow have been since they both arrived at Parra, then why not take a punt on a player that brings in all the energy and attitude and consistency that no player at Parra has shown for years at relatively cheap rates and again he would not have had to move cities and away from family. Once again I'm sure if shown the right kind of love he would/could of been ours.

Now we come to the most important signing our club would of made in its history, DCE. The rumours were rife that we were looking at him way before we were looking at Foran. But then we started to look at Watmough and DCE rumours were replaced with Foran ones.

Well we all know that Foran and Watmough are mates, but Watmough and DCE are not, so by chasing Watmough DCE was no chance.

But if rookie coach had thought this through clearer, then he would have realised that genuine playmaking halfbacks win you titles. So considering that DCE's management are not happy that their client is leaving Sydney because it will stifle his media aspirations, we would of been a massive chance. We also have one of his best mates here already in Darcy Lussick which is another great hook on the table. So why brush the best young play maker in the game for a hard working one for the same insane dollars???

So if rookie coach had really been thinking like a winner, he would of made something like this his and our reality. Then you throw in someone like Beau Scott, even though old and busted still a good player ala Luke O'Donnell when picked up by the Roosters or Trent Merrin and boy do you have a team that can go places.

Instead we are looking at players like Daniel Tupou who is reportedly asking for $300k a season and has a lazy attitude. Fits right in with the culture at the Eels I hear you say, right?

Well some might say that hindsight is a wonderful thing, but these are scenarios that I and others have and did suggest at the time when they were playing out, but all we get is that we are so negative statements from the majority.

But ultimately isn't it the coach and his staff paid to get it right more times then wrong. Well from where I sit the only signing that he has gotten right is Danny Wicks, genuine quality and Reece Robinson as a filler.

Like I have said before, rookie coach has made way to many signing errors and it will affect the club for at least 3 more years and I don't think he will be here after 2016-17, depending on how long it takes the board to swallow their pride.

It is very sad how we just don't seem to ever get it right. That is why I have massive misgivings on them making the right call on the retention of both Pauli Pauli and Peni Terepo. I can see another F**kup just waiting to happen.

Or instead of picking the eyes out of recruitment decisions that have been diamonds, you could compare Arthurs's's's recruitment against:

Jamal Idris - Mid season last year, has been injured most of the time and is looking to be moved on by Gus.

Ben Barba - Brought in as 5/8 on massive coin supposedly and has been a failure. Replaced whilst injured by a rookie, whom he now can't displace. Shuffled back to fullback and struggling to keep a rookie out again.

Feleti Mateo - Inspired buy by Manly. Can't believe we didn't sign him again. :sarcasm:

Tim Grant - Struggling to make the bench for Souffs, even though they have lost the majority of their best forwards from last year.

Yet, Arthr's's signings are terrible.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
That's right, you can throw as little as a player you want and they'll come to you. It's that simple, how come I've never thought about this before? This written post is just as good as Pricey's verbal rant on MMM on Saturday.

SDM

First Grade
silver-02.jpg

oldmancraigy

Coach

tl;dr

Assume it was the usual ramcrap though???