What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do we keep Sandow?

lafai

Bench
Nah you don't keep Sandow, simple as that. You're f*cked in the head or a Cronulla fan if you want Sandow on your team.

Incorrect

Coach
Joely, he's f**king terrible in defense (not saying he doesn't try). It's not just missed tackles, it's non tackles, and the lack of confidence his fellow defenders have in him.

Luke Brooks is a far poorer defender than Sandow... Yet never any ??'s about whether he'll be dropped to NSW cup. The Tiggers coaches last year and this obviously take that bad part of his game with his good and adjust defensive patterns accordingly. Seemingly our coaching staff don't/can't do that with Sandow in our side. Or, they have and they don't consider his defence an issue, but more his composure (lack of) and erratic playmaking. I think it's the latter...

Luke Brooks is a far poorer defender than Sandow... Yet never any ??'s about whether he'll be dropped to NSW cup. The Tiggers coaches last year and this obviously take that bad part of his game with his good and adjust defensive patterns accordingly. Seemingly our coaching staff don't/can't do that with Sandow in our side. Or, they have and they don't consider his defence an issue, but more his composure (lack of) and erratic playmaking. I think it's the latter...

How does anything you've said make Sandow a decent defender? I didn't say Sandow was the worst defender in the NRL, or the worst defending halfback in the NRL. I said that his defense is f**king terrible, and I stand by that assertion. I bear Chrissy no ill will.

Luke Brooks is young and has time to develop his defensive skills. Sandow has been playing top grade footy for years.

barney gumble

Juniors
Reduced interchange next season, this will suit Sandow. I reckon a team like the Sharks or Manly will offer him big money and he will leave us. I've been a fan, but won't be too upset to see him go. I do predict a 'why did we let him go' topic sometime next year when he's carving up tired forward packs though.

Joely01

Bench
Joely, he's f**king terrible in defense (not saying he doesn't try). It's not just missed tackles, it's non tackles, and the lack of confidence his fellow defenders have in him.

Show me these non tackles he is missing this year that are leading to tries?
He's defence has improved immensely this year and really isn't as bad as some others out there (Thurston, Brooks and Maloney, just to name a few)

cv8z

Juniors
He's defence has improved immensely this year and really isn't as bad as some others out there (Thurston, Brooks and Maloney, just to name a few)

Hodkinsons arm grab on RTS yesterday along with Pritchard was as bad as anything sandow as done
All halves have defensive issues at some point in a game

strider

Post Whore

I agree ... sandow's defense is actually quite decent now .... he's only short and its always going to be a challenge stopping big boppas but I think his defense is immensely better these last 2 years

however - he is still prone to switching off in games - and when he does, it's not just his attack where he goes missing .... he CAN defend - just sometimes he doesn't

Chipmunk

Coach
The reason Samdow is dropped is not because he is shit but there is such a massive difference between his good and bad. Plus he probably can't follow game plans and he misses tackles.

At least with Kelly, Arthur knows what he is getting so can plan around it.

And I am a Sandow fan.

Well that's fine, but I don't think that dropping Sandow will change that massive difference between his good and bad and I doubt he will ever follow a game plan.

So if he's been dropped for those reasons, then he should never be in the Parra NRL team ever again..but I don't think this will actually happen, I dare say he will be back in a couple of weeks, playing exactly the same way he always has.

Again, I just think dropping Sandow is pointless if he is going to come back, because nothing will have changed.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Reduced interchange next season, this will suit Sandow. I reckon a team like the Sharks or Manly will offer him big money and he will leave us. I've been a fan, but won't be too upset to see him go. I do predict a 'why did we let him go' topic sometime next year when he's carving up tired forward packs though.

This is a good point.

I wasn't a fan of Sandows signing, and overall he has been disappointing. Wouldn't be upset if he left, nor will slit my wrists if he is re-signed. However he does need to show some loyalty I think (with a reduced salary) considering we send him to rehab, and he has been dropped several times

Apparently he played very well for Wenty yesterday

Joely01

Bench
This is a good point.

I wasn't a fan of Sandows signing, and overall he has been disappointing. Wouldn't be upset if he left, nor will slit my wrists if he is re-signed. However he does need to show some loyalty I think (with a reduced salary) considering we send him to rehab, and he has been dropped several times

Apparently he played very well for Wenty yesterday

There's no apparently, he did play very well!

He let BJ Leilua just run straight past him without attempting a tackle in the game against Newcastle. Try. Truly awful.

Again, whether other people are good or poor defenders is not what I'm arguing about, but I'd rate Thurston and Maloney as better defenders than Sandow. Brooks is just as bad or worse...but he is still learning the game and has scope to improve.

Joely01

Bench
He let BJ Leilua just run straight past him without attempting a tackle in the game against Newcastle. Try. Truly awful.

Again, whether other people are good or poor defenders is not what I'm arguing about, but I'd rate Thurston and Maloney as better defenders than Sandow. Brooks is just as bad or worse...but he is still learning the game and has scope to improve.

Yeah your right, he has let in 1 try all year. Truly awful defender he is!

Eelementary

Post Whore

To be fair, it was a horrendous non-tackle, because it reeks of laziness and a poor attitude.

Had that try cost us the game, would people have changed their tune, I wonder?

You asked for an example, so I gave you one. And it was a doozy. :) Stuff like that makes doubly sure that the bloke outside you can't trust you next time. I like Chrissy, and I don't know whether or not he should be in FG, all I've said is that his defense is very bad / awful / whatever.

oldmancraigy

Coach
You asked for an example, so I gave you one. And it was a doozy. :) Stuff like that makes doubly sure that the bloke outside you can't trust you next time. I like Chrissy, and I don't know whether or not he should be in FG, all I've said is that his defense is very bad / awful / whatever.

Dont waste your intellect!!
Sandow is not just a bad defender, he is historically bad to the extent the whole edge defence has to compensate, and suffers as a result.

Anyone who thinks the Warriors are only 12-0 at the half with Sandow playing has taken something magical.

Also, his attack is seriously overrated. When he gives away possession with bad decisions/ inability or refusal to follow a game plan, it stunts any pressurr we are trying to build.

Sure, i wish we had someone better than Kelly right now, but Sandow is not the answer and should not play firsts ever again for us. i would play Norman at 7 and Matterson at 6 the rest of the way....

Joely01

Bench
To be fair, it was a horrendous non-tackle, because it reeks of laziness and a poor attitude.

Had that try cost us the game, would people have changed their tune, I wonder?

I've seen some of the top halfbacks miss crackers this year.
They way people are carrying on makes it seem like he is the only player to ever miss a tackle.

You guys are living in the past, his defence isn't anywhere near as bad as it was and to give me 1 example after 10 rounds pretty much sums up how much his defence has improved.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Dont waste your intellect!!
Sandow is not just a bad defender, he is historically bad to the extent the whole edge defence has to compensate, and suffers as a result.

Anyone who thinks the Warriors are only 12-0 at the half with Sandow playing has taken something magical.

Also, his attack is seriously overrated. When he gives away possession with bad decisions/ inability or refusal to follow a game plan, it stunts any pressurr we are trying to build.

Sure, i wish we had someone better than Kelly right now, but Sandow is not the answer and should not play firsts ever again for us. i would play Norman at 7 and Matterson at 6 the rest of the way....
This x plenty.

Latest posts