What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed Signings

betcats

Referee
Tommy Smith;10951132;7402 said:
Apologies.

It's just the easiest way to rustle a whole bunch of jimmies on this forum. This line of discussion gets them frothing all the time!

Please explain how you guys developed JWH and we poached the established tyrone peachey.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Tommy Smith;10951132;7402 said:
Apologies.

It's just the easiest way to rustle a whole bunch of jimmies on this forum. This line of discussion gets them frothing all the time!

It might be, but can someone please move all this to another thread where it belongs ?

Cranky Sod

Juniors
Tommy Smith;10947218;7402 said:
How many established 1st graders in your best 17 were bought from other clubs?

From Roosters:

Fergo
Jennings
Maloney

From Penrith:

Idris
Whare
Soward
Kite
Segeyaro
Taylor
Manu
Peachey
Brown

That huge junior base and yet you're probably second only to the Dogs in terms of poaching players :D

I had to reply to your ignorance of the facts,
There was a major reason when Cleary & Gould came on board that they had to revamp the roster. The previous management of Michael Leary & Matthew Elliott had run the place ragged.
When Pritchard & Wade Graham left, Leary panicked and overpayed to lock up Lewis, Jennings,Mckendry, Coote & Grant on long term deals which some increased up from 50 -100k the longer they stayed. placing a major strain on Penrith's salary cap. (I mean who in their right mind would pay 500k for Sam McKendry) The club couldn't afford to buy anyone but Chris Armit, Ciraldo & Wes Naiqama the top 25 was poorly aligned.
On top of that the fool Elliott had no eye for Junior talent and had drained the juniors to a point we were lucky if we got one debuting a year.
Gould came in and cleaned out the joint getting rid of the overplayed players so Penrith could have a fighting chance. Yes we bought heavily over the past 2 or 3 years, players like Kite, Brown, Taylor, Sika, Soward etc. Mainly to get us back on track until the juniors once more would flow through to first grade.
Last year we bought 2 players with some 1st grade experience to turn over the roster Apisai Koroisau & Tupou Sopoaga hardly a market gouge.
This year we have bought just one player with 1st grade experience Trent Merrin & four rookies from afar.
We will be losing quite a few players by the end of the year Kite, Plum, Brown, Sika & Simmons.
They will not be replaced.
The Jennings bros, RCG, Blake & a few other younger blokes yet to debut will take their spots.
Gould's directive has always been to get Penrith's junior base pumping like it was back in 03/04 where we had 12 juniors in our 17 playing 1st grade.
We went out on a spending spree to get our roster back in shape, now it is and our the base of our recruitment will be from within.

Last edited:

Ibleedblue

Juniors
Good signing for the Sharks, Maloney is a quality half which you can build a team around. They are starting to build a team with some potential. This probably is the end of Robson and the Sharks will play Maloney/Bird in the halves next year.

Ibleedblue;10951968;44985 said:
Good signing for the Sharks, Maloney is a quality half which you can build a team around. They are starting to build a team with some potential. This probably is the end of Robson and the Sharks will play Maloney/Bird in the halves next year.

Maloney/ Townsend more likely with Bird to Centre

POPEYE

Coach
Hinchcliffe signing for Huddersfield is great for the bloke, a top journeyman can find no better way to extend his career. Could be a sign Bellamy is shuffling deck chairs, with luck he still won't need to poach established players to keep up

nrlnrl

First Grade
Peter Mata'utia re-signs with Dragons until end of 2017
http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2015/06/24/dragons_re_sign_pete.html

Dragons Re-Sign Peter Mata'utia

Wed 24th June, 08:30AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons announced on Wednesday the re-signing of Peter Mata’utia that will see him remain at the Club until at least the end of the 2017 season.

The Samoa international joined the Club from the Newcastle Knights prior to the commencement of last season and has played 24 NRL games to date. Mata’utia, 24, has been utilised across the backline this season and was also recently named in the 2015 NSW Cup Representative team.

“I am very happy to have been given the opportunity to continue representing the Dragons and it is now up to me to repay the faith by continuing to train hard,” said Mata’utia. “My family have settled within the area which was an important part of the choice as well as continuing to learn under Head Coach Paul McGregor.”

Dragons Director of Recruitment and Retention Peter Mulholland is pleased by Mata’utia’s decision to remain at the Club for a further two seasons. “Peter is a very versatile young player who can cover a number of key areas which is invaluable in the modern game,” said Mulholland. “He is a hard trainer who is well-liked throughout the playing squad and we look forward to seeing him continue his development here at the Club.”

Bman26

Juniors
nrlnrl;10962782;33454 said:
Peter Mata'utia re-signs with Dragons until end of 2017
http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2015/06/24/dragons_re_sign_pete.html

Dragons Re-Sign Peter Mata'utia

Wed 24th June, 08:30AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons announced on Wednesday the re-signing of Peter Mata’utia that will see him remain at the Club until at least the end of the 2017 season.

The Samoa international joined the Club from the Newcastle Knights prior to the commencement of last season and has played 24 NRL games to date. Mata’utia, 24, has been utilised across the backline this season and was also recently named in the 2015 NSW Cup Representative team.

“I am very happy to have been given the opportunity to continue representing the Dragons and it is now up to me to repay the faith by continuing to train hard,” said Mata’utia. “My family have settled within the area which was an important part of the choice as well as continuing to learn under Head Coach Paul McGregor.”

Dragons Director of Recruitment and Retention Peter Mulholland is pleased by Mata’utia’s decision to remain at the Club for a further two seasons. “Peter is a very versatile young player who can cover a number of key areas which is invaluable in the modern game,” said Mulholland. “He is a hard trainer who is well-liked throughout the playing squad and we look forward to seeing him continue his development here at the Club.”

Didn't he play versus the dogs after smashing some KFC and Chinese food? And played well as well? If so, he's my new hero.

Latest posts