What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Meanwhile, back in the emerging International scene......

The Partisan

Ok ..so the little Australian provincial annual contest :D has had its time in the news this week...and now its back to the pinnacle of our code - Internationals =P~

Jun 20th - Italy v Serbia, Gemona (Euro Championship B)

Jun 20th - Germany v Netherlands ( Venue ???)

Jun 21st - Belgium v Malta, Leeds

Best of luck to all teams - especially the Serbian boys. Really enjoying seing them develop with little / minimal experience gained from heritage players.

Oh get to the Belgium v Leeds game if you can !

langpark

First Grade
No! I wish!!

I just saw the poster doing the rounds on FB, that's how i knew of the venue.

The Partisan

Using Amsterdam as a starting point the trip to Gnarrenburg looks to be around 4hrs on way by car / bus.

Do these nations receive any financial incentives / compensation for the travel costs to games across Europe ?

Spain to Latvia was surely funded in some way ???

Der Kaiser

Juniors
The players of Germany like most if not all Nations have to pay for their own costs even for those that come from UK or Australia. We in Germany try and cover the players eating costs on game day but we dont have the money to pay for players expenses let alone pay players.

Germany 46 Netherlands 12. Very poor performance from Germany especially in the second half after leading 28-0 at HT. 8 times tackled in to touch, 4 times losing the ball on the first tackle and general lazy defence. We won the game but as a Coach, the quality and right attitude was missing from the Spain game. The Dutch as expected gave everything and the scoreline doesnt do the Dutch players justice for the effort they put in.

The Partisan

Thanks for the info and report DK.

I was wishfully hoping that some of the travel costs were offset by the RLEF / RLIF.

On the game front, glad to hear the Dutch boys hung in and didn't allow the game to blowout.

How was the venue city - both from an access and acceptance point of view ?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Malta vs Belgium was great. I was really impressed with the Belgian team, they had some really accomplished players and played some great football. They would've won the game pretty easily but they made a lot of errors coming away from their own line and Malta punished them, running out to a 34-14 point lead at one point at the start of the second half before Belgium came back. I'd say Belgium were the better side though despite the loss and based on this performance I'd definitely say they're ready to step up to more regular and serious competition in Europe.

deluded pom?

Coach
Malta vs Belgium was great. I was really impressed with the Belgian team, they had some really accomplished players and played some great football. They would've won the game pretty easily but they made a lot of errors coming away from their own line and Malta punished them, running out to a 34-14 point lead at one point at the start of the second half before Belgium came back. I'd say Belgium were the better side though despite the loss and based on this performance I'd definitely say they're ready to step up to more regular and serious competition in Europe.

Bearing in mind there is only one Belgian club side it's a remarkable effort from Belgium. They seem to be way ahead of where they should be at this stage of their development. They must be getting some very good coaching.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Bearing in mind there is only one Belgian club side it's a remarkable effort from Belgium. They seem to be way ahead of where they should be at this stage of their development. They must be getting some very good coaching.
Were you at the game DP? I was amazed by their structures and how natural some of their players looked. Malta on the other hand looked much more like what you'd expect from a developing nation.

langpark

First Grade
That is true, Belgium do only have one team at the moment, but if you look at their team, you can easily see why they were able to play so well:

Guillaume Van Der Elst (Brussels Broncos), Karnik Avedikian, Kamel Belkiri, Yann Bertrand, Nicolas Bourgin, Yvan Leroyer, Colin Niez (all Lyon-Villeurbanne Rugby XIII), Adam Bahemou, Jonathan Bouillon, Agim Coroli, Martin Derom, Josquin De Winne, Christopher Eyns, Lelio Guilmard, Iliass Laachiri, Stanley Rogerio, Simon Troquereau (all North Brussels Gorillas), Quentin Leclercq, Damien Parée (both Villegailhenc Aragon RL)

6 players in Elite 2 and another two just below that.

Sounded like a fantastic game, would have been great to be there!

The Partisan

Mmmmmm........

For some reason i feel a little short changed if that is the case.

Thought maybe one or two players might have experience at a lower level.... not half the squad.

Oh well, good for the future growth i hope.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Great result for Serbia! Behind France the second strongest of the domestic teams on the continent I would think.

Great German TV report also.

paulmac

Juniors
Great result for Serbia! Behind France the second strongest of the domestic teams on the continent I would think.

Great German TV report also.
I firmly believe the winner of the Euro B should gain a spot in the RLWC.Reward for actually developing the game in actual country.