What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and even more Crap XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...-leave-him-out-of-pocket-20150623-ghvndb.html

Will Hopoate could leave Parramatta Eels after failed TPAs leave him out of pocket

Date
June 23, 2015 - 10:00PM

Adrian Proszenko
Chief Rugby League Reporter

Parramatta is embroiled in another contract bungle that could cost them a representative star after failed third party payments left William Hopoate with a six-figure shortfall in his promised salary.

The Eels are still reeling from the bungled negotiations with Kieran Foran, with the Manly star reconsidering his shift west after the club sought to change clauses in his $4.8 million contract. Officials are desperate to remove a provision which allows Foran to be paid $1 million for reputational damage should he walk out on the club at any time, with the parties hopeful of working towards a resolution. However, a clause allowing the Kiwi international to depart should coach Brad Arthur be sacked is expected to be part of the final contract that is rubber stamped by the NRL.

However, Hopoate's tenure at the blue and golds is far from resolved. His contract extension was considered a fait accompli, but Fairfax Media can reveal the NSW star is out of pocket after third-party sponsorships unravelled. Hopoate - whose initial two-year deal was for $750,000 per annum - was negotiating for a new contract of either one or three years. However, the TPA shortfall could scupper any chance of him staying put.

Hopoate was earmarked as the man to replace Jarryd Hayne at fullback, but his shift into the No.1 jersey was short lived. While his form in his customary centre position was also modest this year, it was enough to retain his place in the Blues' Origin shield defence against Queensland.

Losing Foran and Hopoate would be an unmitigated disaster for a club that could finish with a third wooden spoon in the space of four seasons.

The Eels have other dramas and will learn within the next week whether they will be starting next year's competition four points in arrears.

The Eels have responded to the NRL's breach notice for salary cap breaches in 2014, pushing back on aspects of the governance review they have been ordered to undertake. The embattled club has been fined $525,000 and faces the prospect of starting two wins behind the rest of the league in 2016 if it reoffends or does not comply with the governing body's directives. The point of conjecture is who will carry out the review - the Eels want to engage PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), a company they have used previously to analyse and assess their business. However, the NRL wants to appoint an independent firm with no ties to Parramatta to ensure the frames of reference are sufficiently wide to ensure meaningful change will result.

The Eels believe the NRL is using the cap issue to impose its own 'independent' directors onto its board because the governing body doesn't have confidence in the personnel currently at management level.

The NRL - which already has an interest in the Gold Coast, Wests Tigers, Newcastle and St George Illawarra through either direct ownership, the appointment of directors or the loaning of monies - believes Parramatta should be a powerhouse in Australian sport. However, the seemingly endless drama and underperformance at one of its key clubs is a concern for head office. The Eels are playing a dangerous game by pushing back on the review, whose recommendations are meant to be implemented by the end of next February. They are already at risk of losing Foran and he will be less likely to commit should they begin next season behind their rivals.

The recent departure of CEO Scott Seward, coupled with the sacking of fellow staffer Jason Irvine, are the latest in a long list of upheavals at management level.

The NRL will make a determination on Parramatta's submission either late this week or early next week. If aggrieved by the decision, the Eels will have the option of going to the appeals tribunal to contest the findings.

BoneyBlake17

Juniors
Whatever happens a decision needs to be made soon. Cant let this fester any longer than it already has. Damage has been done. Need to get the focus back on football

The Sparrow

Juniors
Fairfax also reporting Hopoate is ready to walk due to third party sponsorship falling through.

Might be just a journo trying to get their 15 mins on the back of the Foran drama?

Jodeci

Bench
It isn't $1.2 million under the cap you moron. That includes marquee playing allowance and TPA's.

Next years salary cap is at $6.8 million

Marquee is $600k

There would be a host of players taking a $100k each of that.

Hoppa
Watmough
Scott
Foran
Norman
Mannah

I reckon of its $1.2 million per year, $900k cap, $100k marquee and $200k TPA.

Johnny88

Juniors
Time to sell off the Parramatta Eels, urges business heavyweight Bill Moss
Former Macquarie Bank heavyhitter Bill Moss believes Parramatta must be privatised and is prepared to play a role in the process to prevent his beloved Eels from further inflicting more pain on long-suffering fans.
The Eels have lurched into yet another crisis, this time in the mishandling of Kieran Foran's contract, prompting fresh queries about the competence of those in charge. The club is a strong chance of earning its third wooden spoon in the space of four years despite consistently overspending its salary cap, which will result in a $525,000 fine and the prospect of starting 2016 four competition points in arrears. The latest dramas come on the back of yet another toxic election cycle which again put the club into the headlines for the wrong reasons.
Moss, a multi-millionaire businessman and lifelong Eels fan, believes the best way to bring business acumen to the dysfunctional club is to sell it off.
"I reckon it's time to privatise the Eels," Moss told Fairfax Media.
Advertisement

"The current model just doesn't work. For the fans' sake, it should be privatised. There are problems in the structure, problems in the management, problems in the way it is run. A private company would run this a lot more efficiently and streamlined.
"I'd encourage anyone out there who is interested in privatisation to start a dialogue because I believe it's time we took a serious look at privatising the Parramatta Eels.
"[The Foran contract] is bread and butter stuff that they can't manage right.
"The only way to get serious discussions about privatisation is to put it into play and who knows what will come out of it."
Moss has twice attempted to lend his own business expertise to Parramatta, only to be turned away. Initially, he was offered up to the board as an "independent" director, but the motion - which required 75 per cent of members to vote in favour of it - was shot down. He then attempted to bring the big end of town to the blue and golds via his 'Premiership Club' networking venture, but the bold project was also a casualty of club politics.
Moss was initially against selling off the club but is now convinced it's the only way to stop factionalism and mismanagement.
"You get to the point where you actually appoint people to run it as a business," Moss said.
"Parramatta's caught in the middle with people where there isn't a lot of business acumen there. You've got fans who are passionate, you've got ex-footballers - it's time for a professional management group to run this thing and look at how to access this incredible wealth that exists in Western Sydney for business potential.
"Who would have thought, if you roll back a few years, that the family that owns Presto Foods would have bought the Wanderers? They need passionate people who have got money and want to be involved in the privatisation. They can get together, talk about it with the NRL and put a proposal forward for the future. That's what the fans deserve, they really do.
"It would be nice to see Parramatta win a premiership before I die."
Asked if he was the potential white knight the Eels needed, Moss said: "I would be happy to try and help facilitate [privatisation] because it's in the interests of the team.
"I couldn't do it on my own but I would be happy to be part of a syndicate and would be prepared to work with other people to get good outcomes.
"There are endless opportunities here that no one has explored because there is no discussion. I'd love to see a discussion for 12 months on how you privatise the Eels. It's about looking at how you unlock the value in Sydney to get a team to win the competition."
http://www.watoday.com.au/rugby-lea...ss-heavyweight-bill-moss-20150623-ghvgw7.html

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Lol.

That would be a ripper if the club negotiated a non-disclosure clause that has a get out provision as well!

The whole point of a confidentiality clause is that it should be enduring.

But if he resigned, and was not on a fixed contract at the time - why did he have to sign a termination agreement?

Either the journo is lying - or we did (again).
:lol: Only at Parra.

Smarter people on here than me having being saying the same thing for a while. Given the fanbase and location id expect there would be interest from a few different areas. Although the boring merkins on here that cant find something better to do than cry a f**king river when their political wing has a gripe would need to find new f**king outlets for their angst.

Smarter people on here than me having being saying the same thing for a while. Given the fanbase and location id expect there would be interest from a few different areas. Although the boring merkins on here that cant find something better to do than cry a f**king river when their political wing has a gripe would need to find new f**king outlets for their angst.

You sound bitter and a little twisted.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Time to sell off the Parramatta Eels, urges business heavyweight Bill Moss
Former Macquarie Bank heavyhitter Bill Moss believes Parramatta must be privatised and is prepared to play a role in the process to prevent his beloved Eels from further inflicting more pain on long-suffering fans.
The Eels have lurched into yet another crisis, this time in the mishandling of Kieran Foran's contract, prompting fresh queries about the competence of those in charge. The club is a strong chance of earning its third wooden spoon in the space of four years despite consistently overspending its salary cap, which will result in a $525,000 fine and the prospect of starting 2016 four competition points in arrears. The latest dramas come on the back of yet another toxic election cycle which again put the club into the headlines for the wrong reasons.
Moss, a multi-millionaire businessman and lifelong Eels fan, believes the best way to bring business acumen to the dysfunctional club is to sell it off.
"I reckon it's time to privatise the Eels," Moss told Fairfax Media.
Advertisement

"The current model just doesn't work. For the fans' sake, it should be privatised. There are problems in the structure, problems in the management, problems in the way it is run. A private company would run this a lot more efficiently and streamlined.
"I'd encourage anyone out there who is interested in privatisation to start a dialogue because I believe it's time we took a serious look at privatising the Parramatta Eels.
"[The Foran contract] is bread and butter stuff that they can't manage right.
"The only way to get serious discussions about privatisation is to put it into play and who knows what will come out of it."
Moss has twice attempted to lend his own business expertise to Parramatta, only to be turned away. Initially, he was offered up to the board as an "independent" director, but the motion - which required 75 per cent of members to vote in favour of it - was shot down. He then attempted to bring the big end of town to the blue and golds via his 'Premiership Club' networking venture, but the bold project was also a casualty of club politics.
Moss was initially against selling off the club but is now convinced it's the only way to stop factionalism and mismanagement.
"You get to the point where you actually appoint people to run it as a business," Moss said.
"Parramatta's caught in the middle with people where there isn't a lot of business acumen there. You've got fans who are passionate, you've got ex-footballers - it's time for a professional management group to run this thing and look at how to access this incredible wealth that exists in Western Sydney for business potential.
"Who would have thought, if you roll back a few years, that the family that owns Presto Foods would have bought the Wanderers? They need passionate people who have got money and want to be involved in the privatisation. They can get together, talk about it with the NRL and put a proposal forward for the future. That's what the fans deserve, they really do.
"It would be nice to see Parramatta win a premiership before I die."
Asked if he was the potential white knight the Eels needed, Moss said: "I would be happy to try and help facilitate [privatisation] because it's in the interests of the team.
"I couldn't do it on my own but I would be happy to be part of a syndicate and would be prepared to work with other people to get good outcomes.
"There are endless opportunities here that no one has explored because there is no discussion. I'd love to see a discussion for 12 months on how you privatise the Eels. It's about looking at how you unlock the value in Sydney to get a team to win the competition."
http://www.watoday.com.au/rugby-lea...ss-heavyweight-bill-moss-20150623-ghvgw7.html
I was always against privatising the club but after the last few days i just don't want us to be a basket case and the joke of the league. The sooner this is done the better.

Johnny88

Juniors
I was always against privatising the club but after the last few days i just don't want us to be a basket case and the joke of the league. The sooner this is done the better.

Yes would great Parramatta would be a true business. Worked for Souths, but I have no idea what it would take for this to happen or how long.

BennyBoy

Juniors
Can't see it happening myself. I think the the NRL license would have to be taken/moved from the Leagues Club into a new identity as the Leagues club, being a registered club, can't be privatised. Highly doubt any board agreeing to giving away their power base to enable that to happen so unless the NRL revoke the license there is no chance.

what agenda? This board is self imploding all
We have to do is stand back and watch this f**king disaster that your trying to defend.

The only thing im defending is my statement that you are an annoying f**kwit with an agenda. But anyways, ive made my point and im now bored directing oxygen your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts