What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and even more Crap XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash411

Bench
:thumb Well said, you truly are one of the very few people on here with no agenda that honestly speaks for the average eel's fan in the street IMO. I just can't understand how people can be so blindly partisan to even attempt to excuse the diabolical mess being played out in the media.

That's the thing. How much of this is actually happening, and how much of it is media bluster?

On Edit: by the way, I have no allegiance to any faction, I honestly don't care who runs the club, as long as they do a good job. I'm in favour of stability, and giving someone a fair go, and these guys may as well get a change to sort this mess out, if they can't then they'll face the consequences next election.

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore
Probably, I understand things at the Sharks aren't so rosy..

Maybe because they have one of the best operators in the business with Lyle Gorman in charge, and people don't like being told what to do.
I'm glad we didn't get him. He would have gone the same way as Ken Edwards and we would have wasted his talent.

Suity

BennyBoy

Juniors
That's the thing. How much of this is actually happening, and how much of it is media bluster?

On Edit: by the way, I have no allegiance to any faction, I honestly don't care who runs the club, as long as they do a good job. I'm in favour of stability, and giving someone a fair go, and these guys may as well get a change to sort this mess out, if they can't then they'll face the consequences next election.
It's not a matter of sorting it out, it should never have happened in the first place. If the club was run properly there wouldn't be anything for the media to bluster about or any grounds for the NRL to demand an independent review.

Suitman

Post Whore
:thumb Well said, you truly are one of the very few people on here with no agenda that honestly speaks for the average eel's fan in the street IMO. I just can't understand how people can be so blindly partisan to even attempt to excuse the diabolical mess being played out in the media.

Originally, I was partisan. I wanted change and I wanted Fitzgerald out, because the club had become so stagnant with his little boys club that there was no future. He was an employee, yet the board was answerable to him. lol.
He had to go.

The Leagues Club was a joke and based heavily on pokies. The relaxing Cumberland Lounge with sports screens where fans could mingle before and after game day had been turned into another bell ringing, jingle playing pokie den. The place was heartless. It wasn't a community and it certainly wasn't a place where one could even feel proud to be an Eels fan.
Poor decisions regarding the running of the football club also brought about his downfall. The one true, honest person I felt for, was Ovo.

Well, things hardly improved thereafter did they, with 3P taking control?
And really, since then, whoever has been in charge, it has just been one monumental f**k up after another.

The worst thing for Parramatta fans is that there has never been any suitable candidates. We all want to vote for someone, we all feel as though we should vote for someone, yet the candidates that have been thrown up time after time have been nothing more than inadequate.

It is why I refused to vote in the last election. None of the candidates, imo, were worthy of running our club.
It is also why I want the NRL to take control, until truly suitably qualified people are found to run a business that should be at the top of the tree, not the bottom.

Suity

ash411

Bench
It's not a matter of sorting it out, it should never have happened in the first place. If the club was run properly there wouldn't be anything for the media to bluster about or any grounds for the NRL to demand an independent review.

Fair enough, but it did.

Stop crying over spilt milk, and let those in charge grab a mop, or the floor will get all sticky.

Originally, I was partisan. I wanted change and I wanted Fitzgerald out, because the club had become so stagnant with his little boys club that there was no future. He was an employee, yet the board was answerable to him. lol.
He had to go.

The Leagues Club was a joke and based heavily on pokies. The relaxing Cumberland Lounge with sports screens where fans could mingle before and after game day had been turned into another bell ringing, jingle playing pokie den. The place was heartless. It wasn't a community and it certainly wasn't a place where one could even feel proud to be an Eels fan.
Poor decisions regarding the running of the football club also brought about his downfall. The one true, honest person I felt for, was Ovo.

And really, since then, whoever has been in charge, it has just been one monumental f**k up after another.

The worst thing for Parramatta fans is that there has never been any suitable candidates. We all want to vote for someone, we all feel as though we should vote for someone, yet the candidates that have been thrown up time after time have been nothing more than inadequate.

It is why I refused to vote in the last election. None of the candidates, imo, were worthy of running our club.
It is also why I want the NRL to take control, until truly suitably qualified people are found to run a business that should be at the top of the tree, not the bottom.

Suity

X 2 can't disagree with that. I think every right minded person will agree with this.

Gronk

Staff member
He had to go.

Suity

Agree that there is little point going to another election as we're going get another version of the same knuckleheads.

Unless the club are prepared to allow NRL to take control AND keep funding the team, what can you do ?

BennyBoy

Juniors
Fair enough, but it did.

Stop crying over spilt milk, and let those in charge grab a mop, or the floor will get all sticky.

Yeah that makes sense, like asking the arsonist to quench the fire when he's holding a can of petrol.

BennyBoy

Juniors
originally, i was partisan. I wanted change and i wanted fitzgerald out, because the club had become so stagnant with his little boys club that there was no future. He was an employee, yet the board was answerable to him. Lol.
He had to go.

The leagues club was a joke and based heavily on pokies. The relaxing cumberland lounge with sports screens where fans could mingle before and after game day had been turned into another bell ringing, jingle playing pokie den. The place was heartless. It wasn't a community and it certainly wasn't a place where one could even feel proud to be an eels fan.
Poor decisions regarding the running of the football club also brought about his downfall. The one true, honest person i felt for, was ovo.

Well, things hardly improved thereafter did they, with 3p taking control?

The worst thing for parramatta fans is that there has never been any suitable candidates. We all want to vote for someone, we all feel as though we should vote for someone, yet the candidates that have been thrown up time after time have been nothing more than inadequate.

It is why i refused to vote in the last election. None of the candidates, imo, were worthy of running our club.
It is also why i want the nrl to take control, until truly suitably qualified people are found to run a business that should be at the top of the tree, not the bottom.

Suity

1000000% I am exactly the same.

The Colonel

Immortal
TBH, as silly as you all think it is, an organised protest march or rally is just Eels fans like us expressing their displeasure, anger and frustration at what this club has become. I'm not attending, purely because I think it would be a futile exercise. But I can't blame them, nor will I criticise them, for wanting change, or at least bringing attention to our current woes, and the fact that many Eels fans have had a f**king gut full of this shit.

Go the Eels.

Suity

I agree with everything you have said outside of the rally.

In 2007, similar protests and disillusionment by well meaning people brought about the change in the boards. I went to a couple of the impromptu meetings by some of these people that helped bring about change. These well meaning people, IMO, have been a big part of the issues that the club have faced. I am not necessarily convinced that outside of the frustration they had with Fitzy and the original board that any of them had any business being in charge of a rugby league club. Those people were then changed by another group of well meaning people. In that time we have had four CEO's, countless personnel changes and no continuity in the coaching ranks.

I am as frustrated as you and the rest of them. What concerns me is that this lot of well meaning people may effect cause once again that creates another mess that I don't think the club can afford. Leave the governance issues to the NRL. If they do rally, rally for the NRL to become involved. Don't rally behind another bunch of people that maybe shouldn't be involved in running a football/leagues club.

ash411

Bench
X 2 can't disagree with that. I think every right minded person will agree with this.

Yep. I agree as well.

The main reason I am saying let the current board have their time, is because it's not like they gonna quit, even if we asked them to, and any current replacements aren't going to be any better.

Unless the board is appointed (not elected) by an impartial third party (like the NRL) without being lobbied by anyone, excluding all people aligned with any of the factions that are destroying our club, it will never work.

But at the end of the day, the club has a constitution that mandates that the board of directors is elected by its membership. which is a good thing, though, as it gives us members a say in who is running our club, but then if the elected official running the club mess up, that's on us as well, at least in part.

Suitman

Post Whore
Agree that there is little point going to another election as we're going get another version of the same knuckleheads.

Unless the club are prepared to allow NRL to take control AND keep funding the team, what can you do ?

Protest?

ash411

Bench
Yeah that makes sense, like asking the arsonist to quench the fire when he's holding a can of petrol.

No.... not really... unless I missed the part where the board did all of this with the intention of destroying the club...

Suitman

Post Whore
I agree with everything you have said outside of the rally.

In 2007, similar protests and disillusionment by well meaning people brought about the change in the boards. I went to a couple of the impromptu meetings by some of these people that helped bring about change. These well meaning people, IMO, have been a big part of the issues that the club have faced. I am not necessarily convinced that outside of the frustration they had with Fitzy and the original board that any of them had any business being in charge of a rugby league club. Those people were then changed by another group of well meaning people. In that time we have had four CEO's, countless personnel changes and no continuity in the coaching ranks.

I am as frustrated as you and the rest of them. What concerns me is that this lot of well meaning people may effect cause once again that creates another mess that I don't think the club can afford. Leave the governance issues to the NRL. If they do rally, rally for the NRL to become involved. Don't rally behind another bunch of people that maybe shouldn't be involved in running a football/leagues club.

That's exactly what they should be rallying for. I agree.
If that was the purpose of the rally, I'd be there.
Sadly, (and I don't know much about the organisational details tbh), I don't think this will be the case.

Suity

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Agree with Suit about everything bar the protest, but as colonel has said if they protest protest for the NRL to help us out if this mess and not one of the factions who just missed out at the recent elections.

Otherwise we will have more of the same old BS.

Gronk

Staff member
Perhaps a compromise is that we complete an independent review (the terms of reference defined by the NRL) and action the recommended changes, if any.

Then perhaps we will have an NRL endorsed management team to keep the masses happy ?

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

Suity

The only part of your comment I don't agree with is this. The NRL will only care about making sure the club is not running at a loss. They will not help out with the football side and they probably wouldn't have someone coming in who will help out massively with the negotiating process.

Anyway, would they take over the Leagues club board or the PNRL board? Is there a difference?

Suitman

Post Whore
The only part of your comment I don't agree with is this. The NRL will only care about making sure the club is not running at a loss. They will not help out with the football side and they probably wouldn't have someone coming in who will help out massively with the negotiating process.

Anyway, would they take over the Leagues club board or the PNRL board? Is there a difference?

I'm not sure I get where you're coming from.
The club is already NOT making a loss. On your terms then, there's no need for them to come in.

Suity

Status
Not open for further replies.