What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to sell off the Parramatta Eels, urges business heavyweight Bill Moss

souths_pride

Juniors
This might be the thing to get the owners of the NRL licence to become professional. Depending on who is going to be in this take over I may be voting for it. Hopefully it turns out like Rusty's take-over of Souths and not every other failed private take-over of an NRL club.
I think this whole debate over who owns the club and whether or not it should be privately is not the real issue. The problem you guys have (and other clubs are guilty of this as well) is that you appoint people to run the club who are not suitable qualified. What's more alarming is that its not as if you guys haven't had qualified people available to inform you about the mismanagement of the club's business affairs - Glenn Duncan resigned out of frustration as no one seemed to be listening to his critiques and its not as if he doesn't know what he is talking about; the guy runs Pirtek! Also, what about a few years ago when the board opted against appointing that ex-Macquarie Bank businessman as a club director (sorry I can't remember his name)? Surely he would know a thing or two about how to run things?

I can relate to this because, as a South Sydney fan, I used to cringe at the ineptness of George Piggins when he was running things at Souths! I think clubs also need to get over this trend of appointing ex players/club legends onto boards unless they are suitably qualified; just because you had a great playing career does not entitle you to a job for life! Playing for a club is a privilege; sometimes I think that clubs feel that they are the lucky ones to be graced by the presence of these players and seem to think they owe these players something. It doesn't work that way. If anything, ex-players should stay as far away from the club as possible unless they are coaching.

but don't the NRL own the logo and all that shit - which makes it a bit harder to make money off the brand? surely that deters potential owners

Yep, that's part of what I was referring to when I mentioned the future division of overall NRL revenues. Regardless of whether any clubs get privatised, the NRL needs to create stronger incentives for clubs to develop and protect their own 'brand'. Too much incentive for free-riding and chiseling at the moment.

None of this is going to happen quickly.

souths_pride

Juniors
What makes you think there'd be a board at all?

There would be the team owner and the people he employs to run the team, under his direction.

That's how I'd do it.

It depends on how much of the club you sell off. For instance, at Souths, Russell Crowe and James Packer's company - Blackcourt League Investments own 75% of the club, with the members controlling the other 25%. Under our arrangement, members are still entitled to vote for who they want appointed to the board; the election was held in February.
http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2015/02/12/nominations_for_the_.html

Gronk

Staff member
I think this whole debate over who owns the club and whether or not it should be privately is not the real issue. The problem you guys have (and other clubs are guilty of this as well) is that you appoint people to run the club who are not suitable qualified. What's more alarming is that its not as if you guys haven't had qualified people available to inform you about the mismanagement of the club's business affairs - Glenn Duncan resigned out of frustration as no one seemed to be listening to his critiques and its not as if he doesn't know what he is talking about; the guy runs Pirtek! Also, what about a few years ago when the board opted against appointing that ex-Macquarie Bank businessman as a club director (sorry I can't remember his name)? Surely he would know a thing or two about how to run things?

I can relate to this because, as a South Sydney fan, I used to cringe at the ineptness of George Piggins when he was running things at Souths! I think clubs also need to get over this trend of appointing ex players/club legends onto boards unless they are suitably qualified; just because you had a great playing career does not entitle you to a job for life! Playing for a club is a privilege; sometimes I think that clubs feel that they are the lucky ones to be graced by the presence of these players and seem to think they owe these players something. It doesn't work that way. If anything, ex-players should stay as far away from the club as possible unless they are coaching.

Thanks for your outside perspective. I concede that what you say is true, however the highlighted text is not entirely accurate. If you're talking about Directors, members can only vote for those who have nominated. If quality candidates don't nominate, then what can we do ?

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
IThe problem you guys have (and other clubs are guilty of this as well) is that you appoint people to run the club who are not suitable qualified

You can only hire the people who apply for the job. I'd love for Bill Gates to be our CFO and the late Steve Jobs for our marketing, but you can't hire them unless they apply for the position.

Absolutely spot on. As the late Jack Gibson once said "As a player I always wanted to end up becoming a committee member but I wasn't deemed smart enough so I became a coach instead". Ex-players do not have the business background, experience, or qualifications to run big business. This was okay in the days of chook raffles and brown paper bags but todays corporate world demands professionals with years of experience and a wealth of knowledge from the business world. If the Board were smart enough they would head hunt such a person right now to act as a (independent) consultant and to steer them in the right direction. There's nothing wrong with eating humble pie.

souths_pride

Juniors
Thanks for your outside perspective. I concede that what you say is true, however the highlighted text is not entirely accurate. If you're talking about Directors, members can only vote for those who have nominated. If quality candidates don't nominate, then what can we do ?
Sorry I should have been a bit more specific. I'm not directly criticising supporters or the members. Those how the responsibility of nominating the board candidates are more to blame than any of the members. Based on what I've read in this thread of many eels supporters and members being reluctant to give up their voting rights, I wonder if the club would be better off adopting a Barcelona-like approach to how the club is run. Basically, under the Barcelona system, and indeed many other football clubs in Spain, no one owns the club or can purchase shares in it. Members basically control the club by electing a President and a board every four years. Moreover, members can oust the president or directors if 66% or more vote to remove them.

souths_pride

Juniors
You can only hire the people who apply for the job. I'd love for Bill Gates to be our CFO and the late Steve Jobs for our marketing, but you can't hire them unless they apply for the position.
What you say is true but you need to think along the lines of Fearless Freeman and be proactive and headhunt people. Fearless Freeman is spot on when he says the days of chook raffles and brown paper bags are over; you need to look at the club as a company or an organisation as the equivalent of a Macquarie Bank or a Woolworths, etc. You need to adopt the same approach in headhunting businessmen as you would for signing marquee players e.g. Foran. If anything, at the moment a good CEO and chairman of the board is far more valuable to your club than any player in the NRL.
Absolutely spot on. As the late Jack Gibson once said "As a player I always wanted to end up becoming a committee member but I wasn't deemed smart enough so I became a coach instead". Ex-players do not have the business background, experience, or qualifications to run big business. This was okay in the days of chook raffles and brown paper bags but todays corporate world demands professionals with years of experience and a wealth of knowledge from the business world. If the Board were smart enough they would head hunt such a person right now to act as a (independent) consultant and to steer them in the right direction. There's nothing wrong with eating humble pie.
I don't follow the running of your club on a day to day basis but I agree with you. From an outside perspective, almost any news concerning Parramatta's front office involves the board squabbling and putting their own interests over the club's. That's another problem in itself; those elected to the board cannot have a conflict of interests with the club. That may sound hypocritical coming from a Souths fan giving that James Packer has a massive stake in the club and sponsors them but our situation is unique in the sense that Packer plays more of silent role. What I'm trying to get at is that you cannot afford to have ex-players and businessman holding the club at ransom in order to try and get what they want.

Eelementary

Post Whore
What you say is true but you need to think along the lines of Fearless Freeman and be proactive and headhunt people. Fearless Freeman is spot on when he says the days of chook raffles and brown paper bags are over; you need to look at the club as a company or an organisation as the equivalent of a Macquarie Bank or a Woolworths, etc. You need to adopt the same approach in headhunting businessmen as you would for signing marquee players e.g. Foran. If anything, at the moment a good CEO and chairman of the board is far more valuable to your club than any player in the NRL.

I don't follow the running of your club on a day to day basis but I agree with you. From an outside perspective, almost any news concerning Parramatta's front office involves the board squabbling and putting their own interests over the club's. That's another problem in itself; those elected to the board cannot have a conflict of interests with the club. That may sound hypocritical coming from a Souths fan giving that James Packer has a massive stake in the club and sponsors them but our situation is unique in the sense that Packer plays more of silent role. What I'm trying to get at is that you cannot afford to have ex-players and businessman holding the club at ransom in order to try and get what they want.

How do you know we haven't headhunted people and failed?

souths_pride

Juniors
How do you know we haven't headhunted people and failed?

If you had surely it would have been mentioned in some way, shape or form. Also, call me naive but I don't think that many would turn down the opportunity to be a high-ranking official at Parramatta; surely there is someone out there with the relevant qualifications who would be interested. If not, then there are plenty of people on this forum who seem to know how the club should be run; maybe a few people on here should think about submitting their CVs?

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

I'm not sure you know how an election works. You can headhunt all the people you want but they have to put themselves up for election before you can vote them in.

Eelementary

Post Whore
If you had surely it would have been mentioned in some way, shape or form. Also, call me naive but I don't think that many would turn down the opportunity to be a high-ranking official at Parramatta; surely there is someone out there with the relevant qualifications who would be interested. If not, then there are plenty of people on this forum who seem to know how the club should be run; maybe a few people on here should think about submitting their CVs?

I'm not sure people are chomping at the bit to be part of an organisation with so much infighting, it makes the Kardadhians look like the Brady Bunch.

And why would it be public knowledge? Many people who are headhunted and don't get the job keep it to themselves - likewise, organisations don't usually make a song and dance of who they're targeting.

Methinks you put it way too much stock in what the media says...

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
but the media understands...............................................

I'm not sure people are chomping at the bit to be part of an organisation with so much infighting, it makes the Kardadhians look like the Brady Bunch.

And why would it be public knowledge? Many people who are headhunted and don't get the job keep it to themselves - likewise, organisations don't usually make a song and dance of who they're targeting.

Methinks you put it way too much stock in what the media says...

I dunno we could have an Apprentice style reality TV show with the winner given the NRL License.

Task #1: Whiteanting the Incumbent
Task #2: Vote Early, Vote Often
Task #3: How to minimise your supermarket shopping bill
Task #4: Phoenix My Ride.
Task #5: Special Guest Appearance from Former Premiership Winning Front-Rower, who will sing 'My Way' and 'Ebony and Ivory' with the Chair of the Board........

born an eel

Bench
on paper the best qualified person to run the club would be Fitzy, or a successful accountant who has run his own business for decades.

There's more to it than being "qualified" to run the club.