What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How kids get chosen for development.

bigwal

Juniors
My Son plays rugby league in the junior canterbury bankstown divisions and i regularly visit various rugby league websites and forums to find latest gossip etc.

What caught my attention is the development squads , particularly the under 13 and 14 bulldogs development squads.

My main question is how does one go around to getting into these development squads?

How are players chosen?Is there try outs for the teams?

I heard selectors go round and check out talent?Is this correct?

Any help will be appreciated.

kbw

Bench
I will base my answers on the U13,U14,U15 development squads which I have been involved in for around 6-7 years (another association)
Each area is different.
But most do it by selectors attending games.
Nearly all (if not all) development squads are selected entirely within area, that is if you play for a bulldogs junior club then you are only eligible for bulldogs development teams.

Some areas have a quota system especially in the U13s and sometimes U14s. That is all teams/clubs are represented in the teams. So some good players may miss out as they have too many good players in their team.

I also think that some associations have an elite squad that is higher and different to the development squad.

bigwal

Juniors
Thanks for that.

Would the selectors look at only the division 1 teams of a certain age group?

For example if there is a division 1 and 2 in the under 13's, usually the better players are in division 1, would selectors still visit lower divisions?

murraymob

First Grade
In the penrith district. Selectors attend games .most players will come from the higher divisions as they are the best kids.most clubs only pick kids from there juniors for 13 14 development. Squads.Kids get imported around Harold matts and a g ball age

Thanks for that.

Would the selectors look at only the division 1 teams of a certain age group?

For example if there is a division 1 and 2 in the under 13's, usually the better players are in division 1, would selectors still visit lower divisions?

I know that in the Parramatta DJRL, they used to only look at players in division 1 sides. Players in division 2 or 3 sides were rarely considered as the quality of the opposition in those divisions was considered inferior to those of division 1.

Delboy

First Grade
Regards the Parramatta District, the club sets up trials for U14 and U15 development sides , div 1 sides can nominate up to 12 players , Div 2 sides 6 players and reduced numbers for Div 3 and Div 4

Last years there were I think 8 sides, certainly a number of div 2 boys made th development squad of 40. The players are nominated by by the club coaches, the gap between Div 1 and Div 2 is pretty big, so limited numbers mke the jump in development

The Parramatta U14 Team took out the Sydney know out a couple of weeks ago, the Canterbury Side has a number of ex Parra juniors who moved over to get into development as they missed the Parra selection

bigwal

Juniors
I know that in the Parramatta DJRL, they used to only look at players in division 1 sides. Players in division 2 or 3 sides were rarely considered as the quality of the opposition in those divisions was considered inferior to those of division 1.

Yes i do understand that the division 1 teams have the better players, and i guess it is unfortunate because there is some talent in division 2 but the team is not good enough to play in division 1. Therefore the good players in divison 2 may get overlooked because there in a lower division.

My son was in divison 2 last year, and is in division 1 this year. He is a gun team but at the same time im not happy with the team.I have had positive comments from people saying how good my son runs and tackles but he doesnt get enough ball to be unleashed.Sometimes he is lucky to touch the ball twice in a game and im thinking how is a selector going to notice my son if he is out of the spot light. He scored 45 tries last year but has only scored 5 tries this year.

It has crossed my mind to drop him a division so he can get more ball, but if selectors are looking only at division 1 teams then i guess i have to leave him in division 1.

kbw

Bench
My advice is to have him playing where he enjoys his football.
I have seen many parents get hung up on developments sides, doing what they can to get their kids in, devastated when they miss out.
Basically its good to get in them, but its more important to have a good club coach and for your son to enjoy his football.

thorson1987

Coach
Not sure how it's done in the wests comp these days, but it used to be you would have all teams in the one age group play at the same ground with selectors there. This would happen for 2 or 3 weeks.

Each team had to have at least 1 player selected (so 1 club with 2 teams in the same age group although different divisions was guaranteed 2 players selected.)

Wests would also have 2 teams. One team would be players from first division with the odd second division player then the other team would be made up of second and sometimes third division players.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
In the penrith district. Selectors attend games .most players will come from the higher divisions as they are the best kids.most clubs only pick kids from there juniors for 13 14 development. Squads.Kids get imported around Harold matts and a g ball age

Back when I was playing, I thought you couldn't play Harold Matts or SG Ball for the Panthers unless you were playing Division 1. We won Div 2 but we couldn't get promoted because a lot of our players were under the age group, so a bunch of our players went off to play for the Roosters because they couldn't try out for Penrith.

We definitely had loads of scouts come to our Div 2 games through the years though, from memory Dogs, Rabbits, Eels and St George.

I am a development coach (u15s). I just watched the dogs teams on Wednesday and was far from
Impressed. Size, but little skill and teamwork.

We pick from all divisions. We select the squads by watching all teams in the age group and picking the most urgent and competitive players depending on what positions need to be filled. Generally we talk to the club coaches about who are the most committed and coachable players and are guided by their advice.

Unfortunately not everyone can get in but if you don't make it it's not worth stressing about. It would more be that your kids coach didn't nominate him. If your kid is a stand out he will get picked up. If not, let him just enjoy his footy. If a rep career beckons he will find a way by being enthusiastic and reliable.

On the Central Coast for the development squads the selectors go around to various games throughout the year as well as finals games. They also ask the coaches who their main dangers are from opposition sides. From this a rough list is formed but written nominations are then considered for tryouts. Division 1 players are mostly considered but if a team doesn't have a division 1 side they are also considered. I believe if a club has a division 1 side its no use looking at their division 2 side because if they can't make their own clubs division 1 side how are they going to make a rep squad. Wriiten nominations are either accepted or denied and then the players are invited to participate in open trials. The pathway provided now by the Sydney Roosters looks like it is going to work but that still didn't stop Newcastle having six of our players in their U15 academy squad. I wonder what Newcastles local parents/players must be thinking ?. I would be absolutely ropeable.

Last edited:
I know from experience Balmain look at all divisions particularly for U/13s but what tends to happen is that once players get to about 14s/15s the better players in the development teams seem to all end up at the one or two division one clubs.

bigwal

Juniors
Step 1- be massive
Step 2- be islander

That is a interesting observation, but at the same time frank mentioned that the bulldogs under 15 teams have size but lack skills.

Of course being big has some advantages but the skill mix should be interlinked.

My son sometimes play knockouts against teams from st marys/parramatta/wentworthville and you can see the potential these islanders have at a young age.

I also find the islanders in those areas love there footy.For example in my sons age group there are 2 divisions, while the same age groups in st marys have 5-6 divisions.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
My Son plays rugby league in the junior canterbury bankstown divisions and i regularly visit various rugby league websites and forums to find latest gossip etc.

What caught my attention is the development squads , particularly the under 13 and 14 bulldogs development squads.

My main question is how does one go around to getting into these development squads?

How are players chosen?Is there try outs for the teams?

I heard selectors go round and check out talent?Is this correct?

Any help will be appreciated.

How did your Son go??

bigwal

Juniors
And if you are not a former great, find one to legally adopt your son before he trials

I had my kid and another kid from his same rugby team try out for westfields sport high year 7 rugby league program.

My Son was impressive at the trials and played better than his team mate who was a islander. My sons islander friend got in but my son didnt get it who isnt islander. Reason his islander friend got in wasnt on his rugby credentials, but because the kid was a state sprinter.

Latest posts