What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speed

Delboy

First Grade
One of th most noticeable things for us is the lack of real speed in the back line outside of Semi.

Norman is OK, and Taka does his job, but right hand side is really lacking in pace, when you look to even the 2 teams playing this arvo, they have more genuine pace than we do

Forty would know that there is no one with that sort of speed in the NYC, not sure there is anyone available to add to the squad in the off season

We seem to have the forwards sorted for 2016, even the halves but that is an area where we seem lacking:(

Eelogical

Referee
One of th most noticeable things for us is the lack of real speed in the back line outside of Semi.

Norman is OK, and Taka does his job, but right hand side is really lacking in pace, when you look to even the 2 teams playing this arvo, they have more genuine pace than we do

Forty would know that there is no one with that sort of speed in the NYC, not sure there is anyone available to add to the squad in the off season

We seem to have the forwards sorted for 2016, even the halves but that is an area where we seem lacking:(

Semi can't be the only Fijian blessed with speed.

Forty20

First Grade
French has some rocket skates so when he comes into first grade that will be a big plus there but he is also the only real speedster in our NYC backline. Nathan Davis is trying to juggle that fine balance between size and speed, when he is lighter he has good pace but at the moment he is probably a tad too big but it is probably a moot point because I am not confident he will be retained anyway.

I haven't got a read on newcomer Mason Cerruto.

Anthony Layoun, Dane Auckafolau and Sione Katoa were the best of the outside backs for the SG Ball squad this year. I think Layoun is probably the closest thing to a jet amongst them.

It wouldn't hurt to try and pick up some speed through the grades next year if the opportunity arises.

Kornstar

Coach
French has some rocket skates so when he comes into first grade that will be a big plus there but he is also the only real speedster in our NYC backline. Nathan Davis is trying to juggle that fine balance between size and speed, when he is lighter he has good pace but at the moment he is probably a tad too big but it is probably a moot point because I am not confident he will be retained anyway.

I haven't got a read on newcomer Mason Cerruto.

Anthony Layoun, Dane Auckafolau and Sione Katoa were the best of the outside backs for the SG Ball squad this year. I think Layoun is probably the closest thing to a jet amongst them.

It wouldn't hurt to try and pick up some speed through the grades next year if the opportunity arises.

Davis was ordinary again yesterday. He's been very disappointing this year.

Bigfella

Coach
Morgan has plenty of speed. He just doesn't the same ability or speed between the ears. But the overall point is right.

Morgan is fast enough to play first grade in the outside backs. But he isn't fast enough to beat other outside backs for pace or pose any real threat.

I wouldn't say he has "plenty of pace". I'd say with his lack of skill, effort, work rate, and physicality, he is massively lacking in pace because he'd want to be Carl Lewis to make up for the rest of his game.

strider

Post Whore
I remember the game morgan ran almost length of the field to score a try and ended up with a cramp for 2 weeks - seriously

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Norman is the slowest of the lot which is why he isn't and answer at 1 long term.

He has great footwork, ball skills and reads the game very well buy doesn't have enough toe to break the line.

Parra47

Juniors
It'll be interesting to see if we resign Champion. When he's fit he is a good centre and I'd be happy to have him there net year.
Other than that players off contract who I'd be happy with are Aaron Grey - 2,3 Jordan Drew - 2,3 Jordan Kahu - 1,2,3 Matt Duffie - 2 Brendan Elliot - 2,3 Daniel Vidot - 2 and Kalifa Faifia Loa - 2 So there is some outside back talent available.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Norman is the slowest of the lot which is why he isn't and answer at 1 long term.

He has great footwork, ball skills and reads the game very well buy doesn't have enough toe to break the line.

Norman has broken the line a bunch of times this year. I think I read in the BL that he had broken the line 7 times this year, which was more than most of our and the Bulldogs team.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Norman has broken the line a bunch of times this year. I think I read in the BL that he had broken the line 7 times this year, which was more than most of our and the Bulldogs team.

He has busted a fair few times but I think if he had more acceleration he would do it much more often. He always seems to beat the first man or two with his step or dummy, but is usually caught before he bursts through the other side.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Speaking of speed, you've got to get off it Casper.

Suity

The Casper family are doing well not focusing too much on the recent Sandow capers.
It was quite brain-blowing being at the game for us last night watching Sandow carry out an 80 minute sabotage routine. We've not experienced this at our club before - as far as we can remember.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
He has busted a fair few times but I think if he had more acceleration he would do it much more often. He always seems to beat the first man or two with his step or dummy, but is usually caught before he bursts through the other side.

Well you did say "doesn't have enough toe to break the line." which is wrong because he's broken the line a fair few times this year. Breaking the line isn't about speed anyway, it's about a few things. In Norman's case it's because he has good players outside of him so the defence holds off and then he uses his sidestep and strength to break the initial tackler which then sees him in the backfield. This is where you want faster players pushing up in support for the draw and pass/dummy.