What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JT and GI to lead NRL support for Adam Goodes by performing Aboriginal War Dance

AtholSmith

Juniors
It's pretty simple - Goodes wasn't booed 18 months ago, he's being booed now because he spoke up for Aboriginal people and said they need some help out there in the general community, and also called out the girl on racism. That's why you now consider him a 'douche'. Most people can't deal with a minority not knowing his place.

elbusto

Coach
It's pretty simple - Goodes wasn't booed 18 months ago, he's being booed now because he spoke up for Aboriginal people and said they need some help out there in the general community, and also called out the girl on racism. That's why you now consider him a 'douche'. Most people can't deal with a minority not knowing his place.
Bloody hell this just gets worse.

Someone

Bench
I had to giggle when someone was explaining what the booing meant on TV a few days ago. whoever it was said "its bullying at best, racism at worst".

Bullying is far worse than racism.

and that is what this is IMO.

strong_latte

Juniors
I am Racist........... Seriously I got bashed by a group of Aboriginal blokes in woodridge when I was 15 got put in a comma for 3 days because I was white.....

Sadly That experience has soured my attitude towards Aboriginals... I wish I was a better person and was able to set aside this prejudice but I can't. (I do have Aboriginal friends however and funnily enough they aren't upset at how I feel... I do not hurl racist slurs but I do have a un-warrented feeling of hatred when I see one )

However I think Adam Goodes was well within his rights to call people out for racial Slurs and was within his rights to dance and throw his spear.

But he has to realise it is also people's right to Boo him and it really is not fair to say You are racist for booing me......

Goodluck to him and good on the NRL stars for showing pride in their heritage and being supportive of a fellow sport star.

Yeah I kinda get that. My brother lived in redfern when he was a student and he developed a serious hatred of Aboriginals because of the ones he encountered in the area - he copped some serious abuse from a lot of those guys and it definitely made him pretty intolerant in return.

Same as you though, he tries not to take that prejudice everywhere and doesn't hate all Aboriginals.

On Goodes more generally one thing I think people need to realize is that a lot of this is just the media taking to themselves and Goodes has had little part of it.

It's people - fans and journos who've blown it all out of proportion

magpie4ever

First Grade
Bloody hell this just gets worse.

Hey mate, just laugh at the latte sipping soft c**ks, which is what Goodes should have done to the spectators booing.

I reckon if you dropped half these douche bags in Redfern on a Friday night and said "I pick you up in 12 hours" there would be a lot of filled napppies.

Last edited:

strong_latte

Juniors
Hey mate, just laugh at the latte sipping soft c**ks, which is what Goodes should have done to the spectators booing.

Think he did initially to be fair - but it's been going on for 18 months now pretty consistently every away game he has. Everyone's tether runs out eventually and 18 months to me says he's proven he has been pretty patient.

We've never seen anything like this in League - the level of vitriol directed at this bloke has been pretty phenomenal and maintained when you think about what apparently caused it all. As someone else here pointed out, past players have been convicted of rape and received better treatment.

As for my comment about the imaginary spear - that was in reference to Bolt and all those other AFL talking heads who said it was threatening

Helen

Juniors
Goodes is half white.. His father is of English, Irish and Scottish ancestry.
He just doesn't embrace that side of himself.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade

Because nobody looks at him and thinks 'diddly dee potatoes'. Society chose his lineage for him.

strong_latte

Juniors

Yeah, that's a bit naive I think. As Gordon Tallis said about his own upbringing from a white and aboriginal parent "it doesn't matter how much milk you put in coffee people just see coffee."

Maybe if he was treated like all the other white kids that would be a fair comment, but I don't think anyone who remembers their childhood and how biracial aboriginal kids are treated at school could honestly say they think that would have been the case.

Point is, I don't think you can argue fairly that it was simply a matter of him not choosing the white side of his family.

Matua

Bench
I am Racist........... Seriously I got bashed by a group of Aboriginal blokes in woodridge when I was 15 got put in a comma for 3 days because I was white.....

Sadly That experience has soured my attitude towards Aboriginals... I wish I was a better person and was able to set aside this prejudice but I can't. (I do have Aboriginal friends however and funnily enough they aren't upset at how I feel... I do not hurl racist slurs but I do have a un-warrented feeling of hatred when I see one )

However I think Adam Goodes was well within his rights to call people out for racial Slurs and was within his rights to dance and throw his spear.

But he has to realise it is also people's right to Boo him and it really is not fair to say You are racist for booing me......

Goodluck to him and good on the NRL stars for showing pride in their heritage and being supportive of a fellow sport star.
If you got bashed by a bunch of white guys would your attitude be soured to all white guys?

Seems odd to me (maybe sad might express it better) that one group of people from a particular background defines that entire group for you. I got bashed by a group of skinheads/bogans in Christchurch (likely because I'm slightly brown and was in the wrong place), didn't wind up in a coma, but they messed my face up pretty bad and broke my leg. I don't have a feeling of hatred every time I see white guys with shaved heads and bogan clothes - TBF would make some Xmas/birthdays/family gatherings bloody stressful if I did. They were just one particular group of white guys and not the standard of all white guys.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I had to giggle when someone was explaining what the booing meant on TV a few days ago. whoever it was said "its bullying at best, racism at worst".

Bullying is far worse than racism.

and that is what this is IMO.

I think Someone has hit the nail on the head because he has reacted to it the booing has expanded from one club to two to a shit load.

I think it is bullying and probably very little to do with race. AFL crowds are full of wankers so what would you expect once they pick up they were getting a rise from the player.

magpie4ever

First Grade
If you got bashed by a bunch of white guys would your attitude be soured to all white guys?

Seems odd to me (maybe sad might express it better) that one group of people from a particular background defines that entire group for you. I got bashed by a group of skinheads/bogans in Christchurch (likely because I'm slightly brown and was in the wrong place), didn't wind up in a coma, but they messed my face up pretty bad and broke my leg. I don't have a feeling of hatred every time I see white guys with shaved heads and bogan clothes - TBF would make some Xmas/birthdays/family gatherings bloody stressful if I did. They were just one particular group of white guys and not the standard of all white guys.

Hold on, did you me how much hatred you have of me. I'm a white guy.