What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The off-field issues bringing down crowds

Canard

Immortal
I can't help but feel that game day experience is a big responsibility of the fans. It's not something that clubs and the NRL can just set up and the fans should expect to suddenly go to the game and be amazed and instantly hooked.

I can't help but go back to the NFL and their tailgate parties. Now, I don't expect something like that for the NRL because we're different. However, atmosphere is very important and that's something I feel we need to work on. Not jumping castles, not stupid on field races with 4 fans, no bands, etc etc.

I don't know what the answer is because I find Australian sports fans, especially Rugby League, to be very fickle.

Like you said, due to liquor laws, and lack of area to do so tailgate parties are impossible.

Location of stadiums in downtown areas (near bars, restaurants and cafes) helps create this though.

Like Caxton Street or Richmond near AAMI.

LineBall

Juniors
Like you said, due to liquor laws, and lack of area to do so tailgate parties are impossible.

Location of stadiums in downtown areas (near bars, restaurants and cafes) helps create this though.

Like Caxton Street or Richmond near AAMI.

I'd assume this is also a big part of those that go to EPL games. Never been to one myself, but on YouTube they always have video of supporters going to the pubs near the ground before the match. They start singing and revving up for the game, then have a short walk to the stadium.

Not that this should be the only or major factor for going to the game, but it should help.

What else could be done to make it easier to take the kids to the game? Cheaper tickets and daytime football for one thing. Also would be great if you had the family, and could order food and drink to your seats.

Perhaps it's just a cultural thing, and us Aussies are just too lazy.

cb4

First Grade
Off field issues, such as SKD having 10 charges of domestic violence hanging over his head but will be named to play in white ribbon round.

Yep, that will get the crowds flocking back.

One of the problems could be, with more and more games being played out of ANZ stadium - that experience is what people are beginning to think all NRL games are like i.e. small crowd seated way too far away from the action with no atmosphere.

Up until a few years ago I'd only been to matches at ANZ. It wasn't until I was dragged into the chook pen at Allianz when I realised what a game day experience should be about.

Shorty

Staff member
One thing is for sure, the empty stadium thing isn't a good look and when people see that on television it diminishes the value in going to the game tremendously.
Pretty sure the NFL won't televise the game if the crowd doesn't look decent.

We obviously can't do that here but the games in the smaller stadiums should be televised more and all marketing products including highlight reels, adverts, even player profiles should be with large crowds in the background.
Outrageous prices and cruddy beer at the stadiums aren't the problem, the NRL isn't marketed as a valued product and that's why the crowds are the way they are.

Last edited:

eozsmiles

Bench
Games don't have the same value in Sydney because there are so many of them. 12 games a year at suncorp or 1300smiles makes those tickets valuable because that's all the NRL they'll get. Sydney has 90-100 games spread amongst the teams there. 15 games a month during the season.

The time and money spent on decent footy seats plus food/drink is getting towards what someone might spend on watching a touring band or act, not an 80 minute event that is exactly replicated three times a week just a train ride away.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Fan fatigue the main cause. Too many games, too much media exposure, too much cost, too much time devotion (in Sydney at least).

adamkungl

Immortal
I think less games is one of the big keys here.

But that revenue has be recovered elsewhere for the clubs. Total fan attendance has to rise for it to be worthwhile.

Eg. Cut out 4 rounds. Club loses 2 low drawing home games of 10,000 each. To break even on fan numbers the club needs an increase of 2000 average on their remaining 10 home games. Feasible?

For the NRL, they would lose 32 TV games.
20 could be recovered could be recovered by adding a 9th game each week.
At least 6 more could be recovered by strong promotion and support for Pacific and other International series.

magpie4ever

First Grade
The NRL needs to change the tone of conversation. Asking fans "Hey guys stop complaining about refs and stuff" obviously isn't going to cut it. So two things need to actually happen -

1) Flex some muscle in the media, particularly with the game's broadcasters. Censoring fair criticism is not the way to go, but there needs to be an expectation that part of the role of the major broadcast partner is to positively promote the NRL.
The quality and tone of Rabs and Gould's commentary is terrible. I'd argue that these two clowns are causing more damage to the game than any amount of off field player discretions.
The unjustified attacks on the NRL by ACA and Nine's News need to end.
The best way for the NRL to deal with this is to make it quite clear that these kind of factors will be strongly considered in the next broadcast deal.

That is it - censorship of the press, worked for Hilter and Stalin.:crazy:

magpie4ever

First Grade
IMO, TV is the greatest killer of crowds.

So much easier to watch it live in your own home & not have to fight traffic & cues.

It will never change unless the NRL takes a big cut in revenue....it will never change.

Don't tell me that fans are fighting with pool cues whilst wait in the queue.;-)

Parra

Referee
Who do you think pays all that money that pays the wages in head office and buys all the expensive cars for the execs to drive?

magpie4ever

First Grade
It isn't censorship to treat Channel Nine like shit if they treat the NRL like shit.

You only can hope to negate the negative press by:

- stopping players f**king up off the field

- getting rid of the zillionaire TV replays on every decision, piss of the video ref and bring in an ingoal official. 5 second conversation than try or no try, than back to the game. More game time over a shorter period - quicker setting of scrums.

- less interchanges, less robotic football

General changes required:

- cheaper prices

- reverse grade back, disappearance of NYC touch football

- if only we had four or five 20-25k capacity mini-stadiums around Sydney

- plus many, many more changes.

Eion

First Grade
The absolute best thing the nrl could do is piss nine off, regardless of the short term cost.