What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The off-field issues bringing down crowds

hutch

First Grade
You only can hope to negate the negative press by:

- stopping players f**king up off the field

- getting rid of the zillionaire TV replays on every decision, piss of the video ref and bring in an ingoal official. 5 second conversation than try or no try, than back to the game. More game time over a shorter period - quicker setting of scrums.

- less interchanges, less robotic football

General changes required:

- cheaper prices

- reverse grade back, disappearance of NYC touch football

- if only we had four or five 20-25k capacity mini-stadiums around Sydney

- plus many, many more changes.

I don't think there are that many more changes. You have pretty much nailed most of them. I can't believe the NRL or a club hasn't taken the initiative of drastically reducing the prices for at least a round. For eg $5 entry for a team playing at ANZ. What is there to lose? You're already guaranteed money to play there!!

no name

Coach
As a Titans supporter, the game day experience is piss poor.
Was invited to a corporate box for the game against Manly on Monday night a couple of weeks ago. We decided to knock off work early in order to get to the ground early and have a few drinks while watching the 20s, only to learn that the 20s had been played the day before. People are not going to pay $30+ to watch one game of footy on a Monday night.

Even when the 20s do play they start over 2 hours before the main game, have a 20 minute break, before the NRL players warm up for 40 minutes and then the game starts.

Every team should have a warm up area away from the main field and every game day should consist of 3 games, with 5-10 minutes between the ending of one and beginning of the next.
Should be under 21s, reserve grade and then NRL.
Get fans to invest in their CLUB, not just their team.

As a young bloke, the highlight of most Seagulls game days was watching the reserve grade, who were quite successful and made the finals most years.
One of the best calls was when the reggies halfback dropped it and a bloke from the crowd yelled 'if you keep that up 20 you'll be dropped to first grade.'

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
Was invited to a corporate box for the game against Manly on Monday night a couple of weeks ago. We decided to knock off work early in order to get to the ground early and have a few drinks while watching the 20s, only to learn that the 20s had been played the day before. People are not going to pay $30+ to watch one game of footy on a Monday night.

Even when the 20s do play they start over 2 hours before the main game, have a 20 minute break, before the NRL players warm up for 40 minutes and then the game starts.

Every team should have a warm up area away from the main field and every game day should consist of 3 games, with 5-10 minutes between the ending of one and beginning of the next.

As a young bloke, the highlight of most Seagulls game days was watching the reserve grade, who were quite successful and made the finals most years.
One of the best calls was when the reggies halfback dropped it and a bloke from the crowd yelled 'if you keep that up 20 you'll be dropped to first grade.'

A highlight from a Seagull's game, hope you've got it framed for posterity . . . knocking off early to look for something that's not going to happen sounds like you

Card Shark

Immortal
I don't think there are that many more changes. You have pretty much nailed most of them. I can't believe the NRL or a club hasn't taken the initiative of drastically reducing the prices for at least a round. For eg $5 entry for a team playing at ANZ. What is there to lose? You're already guaranteed money to play there!!

I'm not so sure cheap tickets is the answer. Ya either wanna go or you don't.

They've had cheap tickets before (Family $40 / $50 etc) but I dont think it swelled the crowd that much.

I'd be interested in how many of the cheap tickets actually get sold when they put these offers on.

If they are going to offer cheap tickets, offer them to the best customers in the form of cheaper memberships.

Canard

Immortal

This would mean almost nothing for MNF of course, as there would be virtually nobody watching the lower grades.

I used to go and watch the lower grades back when it was an option, and I can tell you there was less than 10% of the First grade crowd there.

So this is a massive expense to cater for such a small niche of supporters.

Y
- getting rid of the zillionaire TV replays on every decision, piss of the video ref and bring in an ingoal official. 5 second conversation than try or no try, than back to the game. More game time over a shorter period - quicker setting of scrums.

The horse has bolted on this one, the video ref has been around almost 20 years now (since 97). With modern technology, even if the NRL got rid of them, TV stations would still show replay after replay.

Fans always make a big stance of "they would be happy to let the on field officials make a decision" and yet half of LU don't even want the referee to have an opinion on try/no try when its referred.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I'm not someone who has some blind hate for Gus Gould and i rarely watch Friday games with the sound on being out at a bar usually, so having a quiet one this last Friday i sat down and had the commentary on. Ive seen a lot of pretty terrible, dire League recently but this game was an absolute cracker and had everything really. So when I'm hearing Gus moan, whinge and throw toys out of the pram about things that weren't hugely important at all i was quite amazed. Also the BS, back and forth, 'comedy duo' schtick with Ray Warren has to be some of the worst shit I've ever heard. Do they think this is a good idea ? Do the 9 higher ups give the thumbs up when they hear this rollicking banter

To the point, how is the only FTA broadcaster allowed to just piss on its product ? i watch a lot of different sports from all over the globe and while no one wants smoke blown up their arse, there really is nothing like this going on anywhere. It totally breeds a culture of 'how crap were the refs aye" rather than "how great was that game?" I hear it everywhere and hardly anyone i know that isn't an absolute diehard has pretty much not gone to a game this season or the last few and guess what i hear them say on Monday morning or Saturday night. "how crap were the refs aye"

You are spot on and imo its only Gus that does it. As much as i hate Hadley, he doesnt bang on about "poor" ref decisions or how the game has changed for the worse etc, etc.

Gus needs to either learn to love the game as it is today or GTFO of the commentary box

Lambretta

First Grade
The first thing we need to do is to ensure that Rugby League is only played on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays

Games played on Thursdays and Mondays should not be considered unless Friday and Monday are public holidays. You could make a case that Thursday nights could be accomodated during school holidays, but lets keep it to three days.

I will post more later

bazza

Immortal
Yep forgot that one. Though it's more of a club responsibility than NRL to an extent.

How would you improve the game day experience, aside from lowering ticket and food prices?

Let's be honest, no one gives a f**k about the occasional band they drag up and any attempt at entertainment usually ends up worse than cheergirls and junior footy. I've got nothing here.

1. Be able to get a seat that keeps you dry/warm
2. Be able to get a drink if you want without having to line up for 30 minutes
3. Have quality, quick transport options to/from the game
4. Have things to do before/after the game if you choose
5. Be able to sit with a bunch of loud mouth bogans if that is what you like, be able to sit in a kid friendly zone if that is what you like
6. Be able to see the game and replays

LineBall

Juniors
1. Be able to get a seat that keeps you dry/warm
2. Be able to get a drink if you want without having to line up for 30 minutes
3. Have quality, quick transport options to/from the game
4. Have things to do before/after the game if you choose
5. Be able to sit with a bunch of loud mouth bogans if that is what you like, be able to sit in a kid friendly zone if that is what you like
6. Be able to see the game and replays

Agree with all of that.

lockyno1

Post Whore
What do you expect when the whole experience is poor. That said the SFS and Penrith Stadium are wonderful. In fact I have loved what Penrith have done to their home games. Decent food and drink, whilst a good family atmosphere.

NRL is wondering where the crowds are going, well look at the product. My team is winning but apart from the top 4, every other team plays similar for starters. I have said it before interchanges should be cut to 4. If you come off, you are off, period. None of this 'get the fat blokes on to bash the halfback". That isn't football.

Then you have the matchday experience. Why would I go to a game that charges premium beer prices for mid strength. ANZ is the single worst ground and it the reason I'm not going there until that changes, unless it is GF day and even them I'll get some vodka in and just do that.

no name

Coach
This would mean almost nothing for MNF of course, as there would be virtually nobody watching the lower grades.

I used to go and watch the lower grades back when it was an option, and I can tell you there was less than 10% of the First grade crowd there.

So this is a massive expense to cater for such a small niche of supporters

The horse has bolted on this one, the video ref has been around almost 20 years now (since 97). With modern technology, even if the NRL got rid of them, TV stations would still show replay after replay.

Fans always make a big stance of "they would be happy to let the on field officials make a decision" and yet half of LU don't even want the referee to have an opinion on try/no try when its referred.

From my experience, back when it was under 21, Reggies and a grade, there was far more than 10% to watch the lower grades.

It would be an increase in costs, but having 3 teams train together will increase the quality of football played, which increases the amount of people watching (both at home and on telly) which increases the TV deal, which covers the costs.
Everyone wins.

I know it will never happen but that would be something that I think could improve the game day experience and have supporters invested in up and coming players.

magpie4ever

First Grade

So this is a massive expense to cater for such a small niche of supporters.

Didn't the NFL (Gridiron) get rid of it after many years?

morley101

Juniors
Lots of people want to sit in the best seats in the stadium or not go at all..

Brisbane charge $80+
Roosters Charge $65
Tigers Charge $50.

I refused to pay $50 to watch the Tigers play the Roosters at the ANZ.

eozsmiles

Bench
It isn't censorship to treat Channel Nine like shit if they treat the NRL like shit.

Nine probably already feel they are getting a raw deal since the NRL took more control over the draw. What else can the NRL do? They can't take games away from them because they might not be able to sell them to anyone else. These rights must be sold at a value the market decides - they don't have a reserve price and can't be passed in. If you get rid of the broadcaster half way through their deal and have a fire sale the value decreases substantially. If you tell them they won't be considered for the next deal, it's the same situation.

The NRL knew what they were getting when they took the money and there is zero chance of a network signing a contract that gives some sort of editorial control to the NRL. Nine are spending more than ever on footy and getting a worse product. I can't see a deal being struck where the NRL gets to decide if a broadcaster is being nice enough to them. They are lucky to get the 20-round fixed draw, which has obviously had little to no positive effect on crowds, annoys TV viewers, and alienates those without pay tv.

A better idea for the NRL would be compromise, not stand over tactics.

bazza

Immortal
The first thing we need to do is to ensure that Rugby League is only played on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays

Games played on Thursdays and Mondays should not be considered unless Friday and Monday are public holidays. You could make a case that Thursday nights could be accomodated during school holidays, but lets keep it to three days.

I will post more later

I believe that if games are staged at bad crowd times e.g. Thursday, Monday or even Sunday night, the NRL should use some of the money it has to promote crowds for these games

One idea would be to make say $100,000 available to the home team to subsidise tickets for this match. For example the club could have 10,000 $5 tickets available and the NRL could give the club $10 for each $5 ticket they sold.
These cheap tickets could be on the opposite side to the camera so it would look good on TV

The endless excuses would continue if cheap tickets were given out. There's always a excuse to not attend rugby league. It's about changing the attendance culture of rugby league primarily then the attendance will increase, the numerous excuses eg TV game, transport, food/drink,etc will keeping coming no matter how cheap the tickets are and when the game is scheduled.

No other heartland has the amount of empty seats that rugby league has worldwide and that's a fact.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The game has been stagnant for a decade. I really hoped the independent ownership and then the massive revenue increase was going to bring some dramatic improvements, but it hasn't. Maybe we just have a current generation of RL fans that are fed up with the game and half arsed in supporting it?

Solutions?
Well we have all come up with plenty of great ideas, the biggest solution for me would be for the ARLC board to build a kpi into the NRL management positions performance of increasing crowds. Until Smith and the NRL GM's feel a serious need to do something about this nothing will happen.