What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths Duty of Care

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Haha TRUE fans like it for the skillz, fmd...

No one said true fans. No one spelled skills with a z.

It's amazing the amount of people on here who say league is turning into touch, it's a fairy's game etc...but there they are, posting around 506 times in a game day thread and often across the whole weekend.

If you like league for the high shots, the biffo etc you can still get your fill at grassroots level. Honestly, everyone wins.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
It was a strawman argument and you know it. The situations aren't remotely comparable.

It was a little bit of a strawman but the point is that you Adamkungl would prefer it if after terrible disasters the appropriate measures are taken so they don't happen again. Sure there is a lot of "shit happens" in the world but there are measures various bodies take to decrease the risk of injury or death.

Just like the NRL is doing.

I liked the shoulder charge too but brain injuries are no joke.

MacDougall

First Grade
Let's not forget Kyle Turner suffered 6 concussions in 12 months and was never stood down once

I think this is important. Kyle Turner comes back from injury and gets concussed and the GDT were happy that it was "only a concussion."

It's hard to believe than in 2015 there are still people who don't realise how serious concussion damage is, and especially with Kyle Turner.

WWE, UFC and NFL are experiencing massive problems with it. Chris Benoit killed his family because of dementia induced by post concussion syndrome. Daniel Bryan is likely to have to retire because of it. Randy Orton is on his last shot with it. TJ Grant the UFC fighter was booked in a title fight but had to pull out and hasn't been seen since because of concussion in training.

Just recently Liam Fulton had to retire because of the effects of frequent concussions.

Can we please stop downplaying concussion? Please? Enough is enough.

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I think this is important. Kyle Turner comes back from injury and gets concussed and the GDT were happy that it was "only a concussion."

It's hard to believe than in 2015 there are still people who don't realise how serious concussion damage is, and especially with Kyle Turner.

WWE, UFC and NFL are experiencing massive problems with it. Chris Benoit killed his family because of dementia induced by post concussion syndrome. Daniel Bryan is likely to have to retire because of it. Randy Orton is on his last shot with it. TJ Grant the UFC fighter was booked in a title fight but had to pull out and hasn't been seen since because of concussion in training.

Just recently Liam Fulton had to retire because of the effects of frequent concussions.

very well put mate..

One of the highest profile NFL players I can think of who was forced to retire due to repeated concussions was Steve Young of the San Francisco 49ers. When he was sacked against the Arizona Cardinals by Aeneas Williams in week 3 of the 1999 season, he got concussed. It was the 7th concussion of his career.

The concussion he picked up was that bad he did not play again that season due to symptoms of post concussion syndrome. The 49ers told him he should retire or they were going to release him - Young chose to retire. He has stated publicly as 2013 that he is concerned about NFL players getting repeat concussions.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i think we may have to start a mandatory standing down period for concussions. no idea what the time frame would be, but it'd have to be at least a week. kyle turner should not have been named and i hope they dont play him, but given how soufs have sent back on badly concussed players previously i'm not holding my breath

Sleep

Juniors
i think we may have to start a mandatory standing down period for concussions. no idea what the time frame would be, but it'd have to be at least a week. kyle turner should not have been named and i hope they dont play him, but given how soufs have sent back on badly concussed players previously i'm not holding my breath

Lets not pretend Souths are the only ones who do it. I remember a guy for Newcastle went back out on the field in the same game a few years back that wouldn't of been able to tell you his own name or what sport he was playing.

Every club uses the rules to their advantage and I'm sure every team dodges them when they can. Penrith tried getting Jennings off as a concussion last week when he was limping to save themselves an interchange.

Dallas Johnson was another guy who got knocked out cold first tackle of a game a few years back and then returned.

MattJ

Juniors

I agree pretty strongly with what's written here.
As a life long supporter and member of the rabbitohs, I can honestly say that it has not sat comfortably with me all week seeing Turner named to play 5 days after his concussion. His record with head knocks is bad enough as it is.
I'll be holding my breath watching tonight's game if he does play.
I don't believe any NRL club would put a players welfare at risk these days and send a player in to play had they not passed all necessary testing, but sometimes common sense needs to be used and mandatory stand down periods may be the way to go.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
thought i'd give this thread a bump, given the discussions that have been happening lately..

NRL clubs are in denial on concussion
February 20, 2016 12:00am
Paul Kent The Daily Telegraph

THERE comes a moment in the movie Concussion, out this week, where Dr Bennet Omalu is talking to Dr Joe Maroon, a neurological consultant to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

It was a conversation that really took place.

Dr Omalu is played by Will Smith and is saying how concussions in the NFL are leading to early dementia and alzheimer’s.

Dr Maroon is shocked. Not just at the prognosis but the implications.

“If 10 per cent of mothers in this country would begin to perceive football as a dangerous sport,” he says, “that is the end of football.”

And there it is.

Driven by that fear, it underwrote the NFL’s response to every sentence of medical evidence that documented chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE as it has become known, and which leads to early dementia.

Concussion opened in Australia this week and it is a must for sports fans, and particularly those who railed long and hard last year that the NRL was “going soft” with its new concussion rules.

The NFL’s cover-up was likened to the tobacco industry’s denial and orchestrated campaign to muddy the evidence that smoking caused lung cancer.

In the end the lawsuit from former players cost the NFL a billion dollars.

Part of the NFL’s problem was “mental corruption”.

Players were convinced that by standing down after a concussion they were “soft”. Or they were letting their teammates down. Or the coach would not want to play them. Or if you can’t see an injury it must not be there.

It is no different in the NRL.

Last year Canterbury captain James Graham declared it was his brain and he should be allowed to return to the field after he got knocked out if he wanted.

James Graham said he should be allowed to return to the field after he got knocked out if he wanted.
Graham then showed as much, going down cold and getting up wobbly several times, each time showing his disgust when the trainer forced him off.

Graham is the game’s greatest warrior. He is something to be admired.

I’d like to put an arm around him, though, and ask if he will feel the same way at 50 as he does at 30, if his family come to visit and he has to ask who they are.

Towards the end Mike Webster, the Pittsburgh player who was first discovered to be suffering CTE, used to hit himself with a stun gun because it would knock him unconscious and quieten his brain enough for some restful sleep.

But it got much uglier for Webster.

Dave Duerson is in the movie, too. Duerson was a tough player who actually dismisses the early evidence and confronts former teammates and opponents when they put in their claims.

Duerson later shot himself, in the chest because he wanted them to find the CTE in his brain.

Here in Australia, the NRL reacted strongly to the medical evidence, and the lawsuit against the NFL, and implemented concussion protocols that angered many fans but were completely necessary.

The NRL should be applauded for understanding the medical science and safeguarding players.

But there is still a problem.

Clubs are in denial.

It has now got to the stage where clubs are coaching players in quiet corners about ways to beat concussion symptoms after a head knock.

They will deny it, of course. They already are.

Last year we saw players rise and stumble and claim it was because they jarred their neck. Nothing to do with the brain at all. Or they said their knee gave out under them. No sir, they weren’t stunned and dizzy.

And so they stayed on, sticking to the toughness code. Here’s what clubs are not acknowledging, though.

While the NRL has protected itself from future litigation by introducing its concussion rules to protect the players, who accept some inherent risk merely by taking the field, clubs are exposing themselves by allowing this secret practice of beating the symptoms.

It will send a club broke one day. It will certainly bankrupt a coach when a player sues him personally for damages.

And for what? To win a football game.

from here: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/b8c8c0d9cd32921683e5d0ba4de9c15c

Mario Fenech comments and new movie Concussion put spotlight on sports injuries

Head injuries sustained in sporting contests are in the spotlight.

The issue roared back into the news when the fondly regarded former rugby league champion, Mario Fenech, once captain of the South Sydney Rabbitohs, put the issue of brain damage front and centre when he admitted he had suffered significant head knocks during his 15-season career.

"I would've been knocked out eight or nine times a season. I knew that I was going to pay a price one day," Fenech, 54, told Fairfax Media this week.

His admission came as the AFL has introduced new rules this coming season requiring umpires to more strictly police tackles "with a lifting, slinging or rotating technique" after several controversial incidents in 2015.
Advertisement

And on February 18, the latest Will Smith film, Concussion, opens in Australia and will examine how loathe football administrations were to act on gridiron players' brain injuries.
Smith portrays a Nigerian forensic pathologist who fought against efforts by the US National Football League to suppress his research on chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) brain damage suffered by professional football players.

Two years ago, Fenech went public about being brain damaged and says his life has improved dramatically since being prescribed Aricept, a drug commonly used to treat dementia.

"You look at how hard-headed I was," Fenech said. "I remember getting knocked out that many times and I would never leave the field. You know why? Because I was a lunatic. And I was the captain, I wasn't going anywhere and I was not leaving the field. I would stay on with concussion. Now, I wouldn't have a choice."

Newcastle Knights winger James McManus will sit out the 2016 season after he was concussed last July and sat out the rest of the year after failing to pass the NRL's stringent protocols on players recovering from head knocks.

McManus said on Tuesday he needed further time out and his playing future was unclear.
However, according to former Newcastle Knights champion and Sydney Triple M breakfast radio host Matty Johns, many former rugby league players were in a bad way.

"Many of them have got difficulties holding a job or a long term relationship, there's alcohol abuse and depression. And it's not just a few, there's quite a few," Johns said.

"For people of my father's generation, it's much more extreme. It's that loss of muscle mass, a genuine blankness in their eyes, that real fragility in their handshake ... a lot have brain damage issues, I have no doubt this is related to head traumas during their careers."

Concussion is a relatively common injury in many sporting and recreational activities.
Sports Medicine Australia believes Australian football, rugby league and rugby union have among the highest rates of concussion of any team sports in the world.

Reported incidents range from three to 10 concussive injuries per 1000 player hours, or about five concussion injuries per team per season, regardless of the level of competition.
While football codes have started taking heat over brain injuries, for many years boxing seemed to be the sole sport considered a health hazard.
Little wonder perhaps. After all, a knockout – or brain damage – is the objective in professional boxing whereas scoring points is the main objective in amateur boxing.

Last September. Davey Browne jnr, 28, was knocked out 30 seconds from the final round of his 12-round, IBF super-featherweight regional title fight against Carlo Magali of the Philippines at the Ingleburn RSL Club in western Sydney Browne initially regained consciousness but then collapsed and was rushed to Liverpool Hospital where he died.
"It's 30-odd years since we've had a fatality or a serious injury," Australian Boxing Federation president John McDougall said.

The Australian Medical Association called for combat sports like boxing and mixed martial arts to be banned at the Olympic and Commonwealth Games, over concerns the sports are causing "irreversible injury" as fighters try their hardest to win by hurting one another.

Once the most gentlemanly of sports, cricket has seen the bouncer grow into an integral part of the game's armoury and the entertainment.

But Phillip Hughes' death 15 months ago, from a blow to the head from a bouncer in a Sheffield Shield match, was a rude shock to that marriage of weapons and amusement. Hughes' death evolved into a moment of national grief. Helmet manufacturers altered designs, but only a minority of cricketers use the added guards below the back rim of the headwear and the people who run the business of cricket quickly put it all behind and resumed the game.

But Australia's most dangerous sport must surely be horse racing.

According to the National Jockeys Trust, the occupation of a jockey is the second most dangerous in the world.

Only working on North Sea fishing boats is considered more perilous.

Little wonder then that there is a requirement for an ambulance to follow the field in every race.

A jockey weighing 50 to 60 kilograms riding a 550-kilogram thoroughbred at 60km/h does not allow much margin for error.
Since 1850 when the industry started keeping records, 878 riders have lost their lives in Australia, according to the Trust.

The statistics are grim for jockeys.

There are 500 falls around Australia each year, 89 per cent of jockeys who are thrown will need medical assistance, 9 per cent of them have fallen more than 20 times, each year 40 per cent of jockeys will have a fall that will prevent them from riding for five weeks and 5 per cent of those falls involve career-ending injuries.

In recent years, the Trust has spent close to $2.7 million helping 260 jockeys, apprentice jockeys and their families faced with serious injury, illness and even death.
Four women riders, Queenslanders Desiree Gill and Carly-Mae Pye, South Australian Caitlin Forrest and German Friederike Ruhle, died after accidents on Australian tracks between November 2013 and last July.

Australian Jockeys' Association chief executive Paul Innes said each year four or five jockeys suffer a permanent disabling injury.
"Tragically over the next decade we can expect 12 to 15 jockeys to die on the job in Australia," he said. "Fifty jockeys will suffer career-ending injuries including paraplegia, quadriplegia and severe brain injury."

In December Racing Australia announced a new standard helmet would be mandatory for jockeys but many have complained it is unsuitable or uncomfortable.
Negotiations are continuing to ensure the helmet is adopted nationally.
Football codes in Australia got really busy addressing the issue of concussion after a US federal judge approved settlement of a class-action lawsuit between the National Football League and thousands of former players in April last year. The cost was up to $US5 million per retired player for serious medical conditions associated with repeated head trauma.

The new Will Smith film traces how gridiron is coming to grips with the issue.
He plays forensic pathologist Bennet Omalu who carried out autopsy on a Pittsburgh Steelers star player, Mike Webster, who was found dead in his pickup in 2002 and found evidence of brain damage. He also found CTE symptoms in other dead retired footballers but the NFL repressed his research until it boiled over into the public arena amid player suicides.

The film is not about concussion.

Certainly CTE is connected to concussion. Scientists are not sure how. But one thing is sure: it would have been nearly impossible to promote a film called Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, starring Will Smith.

from here: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/head-in...el-20160204-gmldjf.html#ixzz40nTsYtc3 [/URL

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just watched a video of jim McMahon (Chicago Bears) talking about his memory loss problems. Scary stuff. Looking forward to watching the film.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I think it's a pretty good point with comparing the NFL and the way they handled it and the tobacco industry. Maybe some old timers in here can give us perspective on how long it took for people's minds to change about the harms of cigarettes. I'm sure it'll be similar to the effects of concussion. It's a big change in mindset to make, but i think we are getting there. I know in 2013 i was amongst the chorus of people against the changes to the punching and shoulder charge rules but I've made a 180 on that. While some clubs will still have a win at all costs approach, hopefully over time those people within those ciubs lose their influence and concussion is taken deadly serious. I know personally all this concussion talk has scared me, and making me think about what effects all the head knocks I've taken over the years have had.

Bronco18

Juniors

Nah bro, sh*t happens. Don't let the game go soft...

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I was reading about that pro wrestler who recently retired because of concussions daniel bryan. Now he had suffered a lot of concussion like ten of them. What i found interesting in the article (i will post it) was that his brain issues were picked up by a scan rather than the standard method of concussion testing. So i did some googling and apparently relatively intelligent people can fool a lot of the standard tests for concussion.

This pro wrestler had been cleared by doctors a number of times because he was intelligent and the brain can sort of make do even with damage. Although there are potential behavioural issues down the track.

Now, what i find interesting about this. If we get better at identifying the damage done by concussions what will be the implication for contact sports ? Will they even exist in 30 years time. Plenty of pro wrestlers turned their brains to mush in the past but now you have one retiring in his early 30s. Same with whats happening in the nfl.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/what-th...t/news-story/be1766f1da9471cd92c6ef271a08b4c0

Danish

Referee
I was reading about that pro wrestler who recently retired because of concussions daniel bryan. Now he had suffered a lot of concussion like ten of them. What i found interesting in the article (i will post it) was that his brain issues were picked up by a scan rather than the standard method of concussion testing. So i did some googling and apparently relatively intelligent people can fool a lot of the standard tests for concussion.

This pro wrestler had been cleared by doctors a number of times because he was intelligent and the brain can sort of make do even with damage. Although there are potential behavioural issues down the track.

Now, what i find interesting about this. If we get better at identifying the damage done by concussions what will be the implication for contact sports ? Will they even exist in 30 years time. Plenty of pro wrestlers turned their brains to mush in the past but now you have one retiring in his early 30s. Same with whats happening in the nfl.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/what-th...t/news-story/be1766f1da9471cd92c6ef271a08b4c0

While ever there is millions to be made there will be people willing to cause themselves damage to get their hands on it. Contact sport is going nowhere.

What will likely happen is the contracts players sign will include pages of clauses outlining all the medical risks they are taking playing their sport of choice, and absolving the league of any responsibility for them. It can then be their personal choice to play