What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Justin Hunt

BennyV

Referee
He would be in my team every day with the players we have at the moment his determination and enthusiasm alone is enough, and he is really not that bad a player......would come in very handy even if we sign another winger.......We need a player like him to fill in when needed..........just look at what happened when we lost Benji.....We got rid of any back up half we had in the club to cover injuries......Obvious that Hutch was not ready to cover the position of Benji , That came from Mary himself........So yea I would hold on to J Hunt......

Look, I agree, he is better than our other options right now. But that doesn't mean he should be a wing option next year in our strongest team. I.E. if he kept around, he is kept around for depth, nothing more.

As for Hutch not being ready to cover for Benji - I dont know how you can say that is obvious, the kid wasn't given a fair shot until we were 22-0 down. If he is on when we have 5 sets of six attacking the Bronco's line, we have another option in attack outside of Widdop, we are more likely to come up with a try, and its a very different game. He has been handling himself well in NSW Cup, and looks pretty good when he came on with some good runs on the right. Of course Mary is going to claim he is not ready, the alternative is to admit that the selection of JDB was wrong and an example of very poor coaching - which it was.

hazzbeen

Bench
Benny that's my point I agree about Hutch he should be given a go.....he is our back up half ....if they thought he was not ready they should have kept someone like Williams...... That's my point with J Hunt we need good back up .....

possm

Coach
Hunt has been up to it each time he has been selected. Of course he's not in Morris's class but in my opinion he does a better job than some give him credit for.

I'd say he is a better player than Farrell, Nabuli and Green. I'd also say the Hutch should have been selected to go on as the run on half with De Belin maybe an option if it didn't work out.

Bow_rider

Juniors
Just as an observer, for someone who is probably on second tier money, and is normally a fullback, he has done a sensational job for the team. I couldn't believe he got dropped last time for Farrell against Newcastle. Would like to see him being able to roam around and be used out the back on occasions, as that really is his go.

Wittenberg

Juniors
If I was Hutch, even if there is a current contract, I'd keep my eye open for elsewhere. No confidence in him and thrown to the wolves when it was too late.

denis preston

First Grade
If I was Hutch, even if there is a current contract, I'd keep my eye open for elsewhere. No confidence in him and thrown to the wolves when it was too late.

You do know he is still eligible for the 20's ? Mind you if selected should have come in at least after 20 and nit when the game was over.

The Cobra

Juniors
Look, I agree, he is better than our other options right now. But that doesn't mean he should be a wing option next year in our strongest team. I.E. if he kept around, he is kept around for depth, nothing more.

As for Hutch not being ready to cover for Benji - I dont know how you can say that is obvious, the kid wasn't given a fair shot until we were 22-0 down. If he is on when we have 5 sets of six attacking the Bronco's line, we have another option in attack outside of Widdop, we are more likely to come up with a try, and its a very different game. He has been handling himself well in NSW Cup, and looks pretty good when he came on with some good runs on the right. Of course Mary is going to claim he is not ready, the alternative is to admit that the selection of JDB was wrong and an example of very poor coaching - which it was.

Didn't Mary & all the other expert coaching staff think Jack Bird wasn't ready/up to 1st grade.FFS

no Bird like Hastings was told he may have to wait for first grade.

he got an offer from the sharks saying yes you will play first grade straight away and he took it so its time to move on.

RedVDave

First Grade
I don't dislike Hunt, I think he is a pretty solid player. However I feel like he has 5 thumbs on each hand.

how when you got Benji and widdop who both in all honesty and sucking up so much cap and really delievering nothing of note.

on Hunt he is a backup only if he is your starting winger then your backline has problems.

The Cobra

Juniors
no Bird like Hastings was told he may have to wait for first grade.

he got an offer from the sharks saying yes you will play first grade straight away and he took it so its time to move on.

Why did they think tthey weren't ready,obviously the ones we kept instead are not ready either.

Redhoopz

Juniors
no they just refused to guarantee him a first grade spot for the money he wanted until he earned it which is fair enough!

as well as the fact that they didn't fit into the starting line up at the time. Bird's playing in halves, he wouldn't have been picked over Benji/Widdop who are on good coin.

whereas he could walk into the Sharks team...

Hastings was always going to the Roosters.

BennyV

Referee
as well as the fact that they didn't fit into the starting line up at the time. Bird's playing in halves, he wouldn't have been picked over Benji/Widdop who are on good coin.

He didnt walk into the Sharks team. His first few games were off the bench, and I dont think he featured in Round 1. As for over Marshall/Widdop - the kid can play literally anywhere in the backline and most places in the forwards. As has been mentioned, considering the choices of Farrell and Nielson, theres no reason he couldn't have started there, let alone on the bench!

Again, if that was the difference between him leaving and staying, we f**ked up massively by not giving him a spot in Round 1.

Mr Red

First Grade

rubbish
Ben Barba was originally signed by the Sharks to play five-eighth with Robson at half.
Gordon was the first choice fullback

Even when Barba was injured they went for wade Graham at five eighth before Bird, who snuck onto the bench through injuries.

it wasnt until after Graham moved back to the pack that Bird got a start - around week 5 or 6 there abouts....
no way in hell the sharks bought Bird thinking he was a walk up start...

TheRev

First Grade
I think Hunt is better than some are making out, the kid has a touch of the Nightingale about him, and he even brings a little x-factor with his footwork and running game, one of few who always challenges the defence and is a real threat for a line break.

So imo Hunt is great value as a budget winger (and backup fullback), freeing up cash to buy in a classy centre (or whoever).. I dont think he will hang around in reserve grade... and Glymin or Cranston are the emergency replacements in the wing department.