What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Link to the last point
I think it is utter crap.
Fox will pay through the roof to keep 5 games a week, which means expansion....

The NRL should have negotiated much more smartly with 9. That's where everything went wrong. Either the people running 9 are much smarter than the people running 7, or the people running the NRL are much dumber than the people running the AFL.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
News just declared war on Rugby League

You know what, this is a fantastic result and further proof of how ignorant of the business world in Australia Murdoch and his lapdogs actually are. In the same year that digital content providers like Netflix really make a splash in Australia, he basically spits in the face of the NRL. That's a Trump moment, Old Rupert.

You won't be looking so smug when push comes to shove.

insert.pause

First Grade
I do find it amusing that Kerry Stokes essentially admitted that the AFL isn't a national sport and still needs to achieve that. If having more money than the NRL for the past 20 years hasn't helped, why do people think some kind of miracle is going to happen?

As for the final price tag, you can't deny it's a major deal. Whether or not it's a good deal for fans remains to be seen. If the NRL has paid a $ premium for getting back its right, scheduling and increased its F2A exposure, so be it.

It Murdoch wanted to f**k the NRL over he would just say it. That's just how he is. Saying otherwise means he's keeping his options open. Everything else is just bluff.

he did say it!

News are backing afl to kill off rugby league, Thomson said essentially just that.

We are now at war with news corp. AGAIN!

BunniesMan

Immortal

pcpp

Juniors
Umm, calm down guys. This deal is over 6 years at around $418m a year.

The NRL had already got almost half that ($185m) with 4 or even 5 games plus digital and NZ rights to go. My bet is the NRL will end up with about $375m a year, and that's with one less game per round than the AFL.

insert.pause

First Grade
Smith better have an ace up his sleeve or both him & the commission are gone. Clubs are going to absolutely riot and I'm sure that's what News Corp are counting on.

BunniesMan

Immortal
You know what, this is a fantastic result and further proof of how ignorant of the business world in Australia Murdoch and his lapdogs actually are. In the same year that digital content providers like Netflix really make a splash in Australia, he basically spits in the face of the NRL. That's a Trump moment, Old Rupert.

You won't be looking so smug when push comes to shove.

Netflix have come out and said they have no interest in sport.

saint pebba

First Grade
The NRL has screwed itself because of the deal with channel 9. That kills the potential income from Fox. 9 did a much better job of negotiating with the NRL than 7 does with AFL, and so the AFL could go to Fox with much more than the NRL can.

The key issue is Fox gets every AFL game simulcast. It will not get every NRL game simulcast so it is not going to pay an equivalent figure. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Besides the extreme hardcore fan do you think mainstream fans really care at all about how many zeroes are in the bank account of NRL HQ? They will not lose "hundreds of thousands of subscribers". The NRL will get about 750 million from Fox and it will accept.

You do realise that the NRL can give all 8 games to Foxtel if they want. If they do it just reduces the FTA deal.

Foxtel will let this deal settle and then pay for the NRL rights.

Billythekid

First Grade
So ultimately that means we'll end up with a similar amount per year or maybe a bit less. I'm not sure how to feel about that. Between origin, international and the nines I can't help but think we should be getting more.

Having said that it's plenty of money to achieve what we want. This isn't like the past where the AFL is cashed up and we're on the streets begging. I think the next few years should be about expanding the game and improving our fan base. We actually have the funds to move the game forward now. Expand the game locally and internationally and continue to work on improving our crowds and tv ratings is the best way forward.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
One positive to this is that there will be next to nothing left for the A League and Super 15.

NRL and AFL will completely dominate and create a huge gap to 3rd.

insert.pause

First Grade
Umm, calm down guys. This deal is over 6 years at around $418m a year.

The NRL had already got half that ($185m) with 4 or even 5 games plus digital and NZ rights to go. My bet is the NRL will end up with about $375m a year, and that's with one less game pet round than the AFL.

it less than half, and they wont get close to matching AFL, it's not an overreaction to suggest we are f**ked.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Poor Mr Burns got his ego hurt and wants to flex his muscles. I really hope Smith has the balls to see out his bluff. Threaten to stream it or put it on channel 31, whatever. Just don't buy into skeletors game.

insert.pause

First Grade
Poor Mr Burns got his ego hurt and wants to flex his muscles. I really hope Smith has the balls to see out his bluff. Threaten to stream it or put it on channel 31, whatever. Just don't buy into skeletors game.

news have made it clear where they stand, we don't have an option to sign with fox after what they said.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
People should calm down. Foxtel needs NRL and the NRL whether people like it or not, need Foxtel. A deal will be done in time and this is just News Ltd playing a little brinkmanship. They will probably want to televise Saturday night live alongside Channel 9 and end up coughing up around $700M. Throw in NZ etc and it will be a good deal all round for the NRL.. They can't get it right on the field but I am sure David Smith is savvy enough to get a good deal from Foxtel.

saint pebba

First Grade
Don't channel 9 have a partnership with Stan?

Considering that this is available on Apple TV and with the NBN streaming is so much easier, they could come in for the other 4 games and piss Foxtel off completely.

One would imagine that at $10 a month and 2mil additional subscribers they would have enough money to get the other 4 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts