What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newscorp And Rugby League

RoosTah

Juniors
One thing is for sure, if the Telegraph is going to go to war with the NRL to promote AFL, I think we can expect to see it's sales plummet.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Not sure why it is referred to as "pay tv rights".

4 Games per week is what remains, no reason CH10 and some partners could not do that.

Infact this is a real chance to strategically hurt news and telstra....

The thought of more VFL promos on fox makes me want to walk already.

cleary89

Coach
Well... 7 has paid less than 9 for 6 years when ours is 5.

But, if fox simulcast it then ours will be less overall but similar per year figure. Just need fox to pay a similar figure for all games simulcast. Assume Telstra money will be similar (was last time). Plus we have NZ which currently pay 100m.

So, 800m for 9 if simulcast. 250m for telstra (5 years not 6), 120m for sky (20% increase when everything else is going up by ~45% so is conservative). Need 900m from fox to match AFL on a per year basis. They currently pay 500m for 5 games, what will they pay for all 8 (or 9?).

strong_latte

Juniors
One thing is for sure, if the Telegraph is going to go to war with the NRL to promote AFL, I think we can expect to see it's sales plummet.

Yep, f**k em, I'll stop buying their paper if they're going to launch an imperial action into our states.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Has David Smith f**ked us up?

Not yet
Our FTA deal is worth $185m a year compared to the afl's $140m a year.
Rupert's trying to use bullying tactics to unsettle the nrl in negotiations. Foxtel needs the nrl, it's their highest rating product and the key reason for hundreds of thousands of subscribers. The nrl simply has to call his bluff.
Rupert says he plans to invest in spreading afl into the northern states, the afl has already wasted hundreds of millions in that black hole it won't work.

betcats

Referee
Not sure why it is referred to as "pay tv rights".

4 Games per week is what remains, no reason CH10 and some partners could not do that.

Infact this is a real chance to strategically hurt news and telstra....

The thought of more VFL promos on fox makes me want to walk already.

Channel 10 and who? Fox will still offer the most for those 4 games.

213177-Murdoch_piephotoREUTER-1311097965-138-640x480.jpg

back off mate

Smith and the ARLC know the value of their product. Fox needs NRL, not the other way around.

News is just sore that they'll have to pay what the product is worth after years of paying unders for the game.

I hope the NRL give Rupert a complete arsef**king before he goes into the ground.

Bulldog Force

Referee
When the boss of a media company that owned the game for decades comes out and says we always preferred AFL over rugby League. Time to dump the Dally M's and anything associated with Newscrap

Now is the Time? Mate the time was over 20 years ago...

Cletus

First Grade
What more could News do for AFL? It's live on their platform in QLD and NSW now? And they are talking about reducing the FTA schedule.

What print more media stories on them? They already do.

Also anyone who thinks print media will have any influence come 2022 is a mental case.

This is pure posturing, from an organisation that is used to getting it's way with our sport.

Totally agree with this. I seriously doubt there will be a print version of News Ltd papers in 5 years, the only reason half of them are still printed is because Rupert feels it gives him political influence. Circulations are dropping at 10% p.a. and the News paywall model is completely flawed. Who in their right mind is going to subscribe to the Terrorgraph? Anyway we have 3 years to negotiate, this doesn't need to be rushed just because Rupert is trolling us.