What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newscorp And Rugby League

redvscotty

First Grade
HAHAHAHAHA, the winner of the Jim Beam fridge on NRL 360 asked the question if the '12 clubs who arent happy about this deal' could approach fox sports directly for a deal.

I know it was obvious already but yezus f**king christ.

HOLY f**k THEY ARE merkinED!

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Anyone got the clip of the ALF stooge asking New Zealanders what they thought of fumbleball?

One of them goes "it's a bit soft" then some kid screams out "ruuuuugggbyyyy leeeeeeeeeeaaaaagggguueee" :lol:

Oh wow, I had forgotten about that. So good :lol:

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
You would think Grant would know something about where technology is heading and what they would be capable of in the next few years. http://www.data3.com/

Have you heard him speak about technology? Seems more like a salesman to me. He was trying to praise the Windows Phone a couple of years ago. I wasn't as impressed as I had hoped. And that was key opening speech.

He may know where technology is heading. Most people would. That's why making a long range deal with Fox makes no sense at all.

BODISGOD

Bench
I seriously want to punch the Grill Team boys in the face after this morning. The panicked fools had Rebecca Wilson on to tell them how badly the NRL is screwed and how awesome the AFL is.

You'd think they'd have a vague notion of what a conflict of interest is...

But to educate them I tried sending them a bit of balance from Fairfax.

First up, Malcolm Maiden shows the AFL isn't quite what it's cracked up to be:

Amazing to see a journalist actually reference finance instead of screaming out figures

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Every corporate deal is done by the Equity Capital Markets bankers. That includes the NRL and AFL deals we have just witnessed.

The NRL bankers would have taken responses into account, no different to any corporate deal. They would already have their plans and respo ses set out. That is why these guys all live in Mosman and on the Harbour.

Do you really think that Smith is just making it up as he goes along?

It is now NRL bankers vs News bankers.

Looking at the fact that Fox needs NRL, I have no doubt that Smith is going to get the best outcome.

insert.pause

First Grade
Have you heard him speak about technology? Seems more like a salesman to me. He was trying to praise the Windows Phone a couple of years ago. I wasn't as impressed as I had hoped. And that was key opening speech.

He may know where technology is heading. Most people would. That's why making a long range deal with Fox makes no sense at all.

I haven't, he's as engineer by trade I think, maybe hes not a good salesman?

Cletus

First Grade
Lol did that merkin really say they had 30k players in nz? 95% of those players are kiwikick "participants", ie nz kids that had a Sharron thrown in there face for a one day school program.

Merkins can't help but bullshit.

Yeah it was 52 minutes onwards at the Press Club. He did say it may surprise people, and they have 2 guys working there fulltime. Fulltime! Oh and it was 30,000 in Auckland, not New Zealand. So probably about 120,000 players in NZ.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-19/national-press-club-gillon-mclachlan/6709072

Edwahu

Bench
Every corporate deal is done by the Equity Capital Markets bankers. That includes the NRL and AFL deals we have just witnessed.

The NRL bankers would have taken responses into account, no different to any corporate deal. They would already have their plans and respo ses set out. That is why these guys all live in Mosman and on the Harbour.

Do you really think that Smith is just making it up as he goes along?

It is now NRL bankers vs News bankers.

Looking at the fact that Fox needs NRL, I have no doubt that Smith is going to get the best outcome.

As I live under an overpass I have no idea if this is true. However wouldn't a disgruntled 110 year old billionaire potentially present a wildcard?

Cletus

First Grade
Last I heard there are more people playing afl in NZ than actually live there!

Yeah they've started counting sheep in the Kiwikick numbers, those little bastards love it. If they can only get 1% of the sheep in NZ to play AFL they'll take over the world.

insert.pause

First Grade
Like when the Victorian press a few years ago claimed afl was now more popular than rugby league in qld, shameless propaganda that they get away with because their media are spineless afl lackeys.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
As I live under an overpass I have no idea if this is true. However wouldn't a disgruntled 110 year old billionaire potentially present a wildcard?

Haha, even that grub never does a deal without them.

All sides use them, so it is really down to which team has the best bankers.

Sorry if I have missed this earlier in the thread, but Chrome users who are rugby league people should all install the Bye Rupert plugin. It's your duty: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bye-rupert/ehdikikkfbfjjemfadgggcohkjoggoof?hl=en

Installing this extension will block all websites that Rupert Murdoch controls.
Every day hundreds of thousands of Australians read online content that has been designed by News Corp to manipulate their readers views in order to push a political agenda. We've seen it in the past with the 2013 Federal Election & we're seeing it now with issues such as the National Broadband Network. When it comes to politics, Australians deserve an unbiased, fair report of proceedings, NOT low quality "journalism" that aims to make a man who renounced his Australian citizenship more money.

TheAussieSEO.com made "Bye Rupert" in an attempt to stop giving his online businesses pageviews. Less pageviews lowers the amount of inventory the websites can sell which means revenue will drop. It will also allow users to support smallers websites that compete with News Corp who report the real facts without an agenda whilst having respect for their readers - something News Corp has long gone without. Put simply: installing this extension will block all websites that Rupert Murdoch controls.

insert.pause

First Grade
the NRL are using John Knox, CEO of Credit Suisse, he advised Cricket Australia on their last deal, including the one which took the Big Bash off Foxtel.

macavity

Referee
Haha, even that grub never does a deal without them.

All sides use them, so it is really down to which team has the best bankers.

They are still just men (And the odd women). These people don't have IQs of 250, mostly they just happened to go to the right private schools.

The deifying of "those blokes much smarter than us" that goes on in here is absolutely cringeworthy. gallop was one of "those" too, a big pissing lawyer who was best mates with the Murdochs. Look how he turned out for us.

They are all still pretty much making it up as they go along, all the freaking time. Just like all of us, Just their guesses have many more zeros riding on them.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
They are still just men (And the odd women). These people don't have IQs of 250, mostly they just happened to go to the right private schools.

The deifying of "those blokes much smarter than us" that goes on in here is absolutely cringeworthy. gallop was one of "those" too, a big pissing lawyer who was best mates with the Murdochs. Look how he turned out for us.

They are all still pretty much making it up as they go along, all the freaking time. Just like all of us, Just their guesses have many more zeros riding on them.

I don't want to derail the thread, but it has nothing to do with the school they went to anymore. They just take the best kids who are willing to give up a few years of their entire life working seven days a week.

The analysis they put into these deals has no guessing involved, just scenarios at different prices. No one who pays the kind of figures we are talking about just relies on some guy sitting in accounting coming up with the number.

Perth Red

Post Whore
GraemeSamuel is one of the most business savvy people in the country, assuming he is involved in this it is highly unlikely Smith has stumbled into a contract disaster.

I hate seeing RL shat on by the papers, mainly because the masses out there are stupid enough to believe what they read but it is fun watching News ltd get their knickers in a twist!

Ulysseus

Bench
If Murdoch is such a genius with allegedly flawless business acumen when it comes to sport and entertainment, why did Super League fail?

And lets not forget the time he bought MySpace.................... about 30 seconds before everyone went to Facebook.

insert.pause

First Grade
GraemeSamuel is one of the most business savvy people in the country, assuming he is involved in this it is highly unlikely Smith has stumbled into a contract disaster.

I hate seeing RL shat on by the papers, mainly because the masses out there are stupid enough to believe what they read but it is fun watching News ltd get their knickers in a twist!
Graeme Samuel on legacies and enemies

The workaholic lawyer, banker, academic and regulator also put aside his friendships with key media moguls ? including Lachlan Murdoch and Kerry Stokes ? in 2012 to secure a $1 billion deal from Nine Entertainment and Fox Sports for NRL television rights.

?I?ve been told that one of the former network chiefs said, ?Graeme and I have been good friends but he is really merciless on this,? " he says proudly. ?You know the bastard sitting on the other side of the table is going to do the very best for the party he represents. Former Channel Nine boss Jeff Browne had just come back from overseas and wanted to go home. I said, ?You better have some more pizza and coffee because we are going all night and will finish this before the morning.? "

The breakthrough moment came when former News Corp Australia chief Kim Williams agreed to relinquish News Corp?s ?first and last" option to bid for the TV rights which it would have held until 2027, as the NRL?s condition for doing the deal.

?When Kim left the room, we looked at each other, smiled and said, ?We?ve done it guys,? "
http://www.afr.com/it-pro/graeme-samuel-on-legacies-and-enemies-20140612-jjzxk