What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newscorp And Rugby League

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
No matter what you say about the last deal. That first and Last clause, was a massive win for Rugby League in this country.

Johnny88

Juniors
On NRL360 Ikin talked about expansion he said if we can get another 2 sides in the comp by 2018 then Fox can have there 5th game back. Asked Kent do you thinks its possible to do in a short time Kent said yes hinting at Brissy and Perth.

Do these two know about expansion saving this tv deal or just speculating.
I remember months ago they talked about expansion and Kent said no wont happen in 2018 its too soon we don't have the players. His tuned changed last night even Ikin's eyes lit up in surprise.

BODISGOD

Bench
And lets not forget the time he bought MySpace.................... about 30 seconds before everyone went to Facebook.

Again Super League was not a failure. I can't believe people keep saying that.

MySpace was an out and out failure. The Daily failed. The Wall Street Journal was overpriced. The Time Warner cable bid was a disaster.

Canard

Immortal
On NRL360 Ikin talked about expansion he said if we can get another 2 sides in the comp by 2018 then Fox can have there 5th game back. Asked Kent do you thinks its possible to do in a short time Kent said yes hinting at Brissy and Perth.

I remember months ago they talked about expansion and Kent said no wont happen in 2018 its too soon we don't have the players. His tuned changed last night even Ikin's eyes lit up in surprise.

If this was mooted, and they knew,rhere is no way News would be throwing there toys out of the Cot.

And, Yes 2018 is way too soon

killbill

Juniors
Again Super League was not a failure. I can't believe people keep saying that.

MySpace was an out and out failure. The Daily failed. The Wall Street Journal was overpriced. The Time Warner cable bid was a disaster.

Thought you's enjoy

A Look At Rupert Murdoch's History Of Internet Failures

from the what-do-they-have-in-common dept

Ross Pruden points us to a neat little graphic that Mediaweek put together, highlighting all of News Corps.' internet failures over the years (pdf) as it gets ready to launch its iPad only publication called The Daily. If you look at the image (or click it to go to the original Mediaweek pdf), you begin to sense a pattern:

The downfall in almost every case is about Murdoch focusing on using the internet as mainly a broadcast medium, rather than a communications medium. Delphi was all about community... and then News Corp. tried to turn it into a place to sell his magazines and newspapers. Fox Interactive was all about pushing content, and had little community. MySpace, of all things, which was really about community from the beginning, has completely faltered under News Corps' control, because they tried to focus on using it to sell music and stopped investing in any sort of real community features -- as services like Facebook and Twitter totally leapfrogged them on that front. It's the same story over and over again, and given that The Daily is so focused on platform, rather than users, it seems likely to be a repeat of the same mistake all over again.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...pert-murdochs-history-internet-failures.shtml

Brutus

Referee
Murdoch is looking very very old.

How many years does he have left on this earth?

One maybe two?

Canard

Immortal
For 18 teams.. are you mad?

We had 20 teams in 1995:?

I mean to get togheter two expansion teams.

They would need to announce it immediately and start recruiting, infrastructure etc etc

Maybe a staggered approach of 1 team in 2018 and the next in 2019 might be more sensible?

:lol::lol:
You watch a news ltd scripted propaganda show .
With 2 of the biggest cockheads that God ever punched an arsehole into .

Lol
Give yourself an uppercut for watching .
& another one for listening to their bullshit

macavity

Referee
I don't want to derail the thread, but it has nothing to do with the school they went to anymore. They just take the best kids who are willing to give up a few years of their entire life working seven days a week.

The analysis they put into these deals has no guessing involved, just scenarios at different prices. No one who pays the kind of figures we are talking about just relies on some guy sitting in accounting coming up with the number.

I have worked alongside and opposite a lot of these types mate.

The only things they do better than the average businessman is self promotion, filling their own pockets with other peoples money, and looking after their mates.

Not saying they won't get a good deal, but can we stop pretending they have superpowers.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
I have worked alongside and opposite a lot of these types mate.

The only things they do better than the average businessman is self promotion, filling their own pockets with other peoples money, and looking after their mates.

Not saying they won't get a good deal, but can we stop pretending they have superpowers.

I was not trying to intimate that, my bad if I did.

Moreso that they have the resources in their units to mull over these deals whilst everyone else is getti g on with their day to day business.

No argument that they look after themselves first.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Here's Steve Mascords take on things:

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/08/21/mascord-what-should-nrl-fans-make-of-the-afls-broadcast-deal/

MASCORD: What should NRL fans make of the AFL’s broadcast deal?

Columnist
By Steve Mascord, 21 Aug 2015 Steve Mascord is a Roar Expert

Fans are in for a confusing time as they try to digest the significance of the NRL free-to-air television deal in comparison with the massive $2.5-billion contract signed by the AFL.
News Corporation, in its guise as Fox Sports, was snubbed by the NRL and in turn was front and centre in the AFL announcement with Rupert Murdoch himself breaking convention – and travel plans – to attend the media conference.
Rightly or wrongly, readers will be suspicious of the coverage that News provides on the issue. They’ll also be suspicious of the coverage everyone else provides, suspecting a motivation to sink the boot into old Uncle Rupe.
Here’s what I think.
I suspect someone, somewhere, has been paid an extremely large consultancy fee – hundreds of thousands of dollars – to advise the NRL of the likely changes in the digital realm over the next two years.
And that person – whoever he or she may be – has advised David Smith to hold fire because big opportunities are about to arise. Google has been mentioned but there seem to be half a dozen possibilities out there.
Smith would have seen the signing of a $925 million as keeping the wolves from the door – the wolves being recalcitrant clubs who want him to get them some money, like, yesterday.
But hell hath no fury like a media mogul scorned. It isn’t outrageous to imagine a degree of vengeances in the size of the deal done between News and the AFL (which is for one year longer than the NRL contract with Nine).
Murdoch’s lieutenants would be aware of the rebellious nature of NRL clubs and that the dramatic AFL announcement would further stir the rabble. They know it will put more pressure on Smith and his chairman, John Grant, which serves the purposes of them and of the AFL.
It was more than six months into Smith’s tenure at the NRL before I met him. I was in no hurry to do so, to be honest.
But when I got the opportunity to have a proper conversation with him, on a plane from Townsville to Sydney, I shared one of my core opinions about rugby league everywhere – we need more people running the game who don’t care if they have a job tomorrow.
We need more people who make decisions for the sport, not for themselves.
I later heard on the grapevine he had gone back to League Central and repeated the little mantra to anyone who would listen.
Not for a minute am I suggesting he would even remember that conversation now, let alone follow the theme. But it appears to me it is happening anyway – with the TV rights negotiations and with things like the shoulder charge.
I want leaders who do what they think is right and damn the consequences, who are willing to exit with head held high rather than stick around and play politics.
The $925 million is almost what the entire previous deal was worth, without pay television and digital thrown in.
No, I am not comfortable that Nine can now re-sell games to other broadcasters. That arrangement did not work in radio, where 2GB did not broadcast games to which they had rights and prevented others from doing so.
But it’s a lot of money with a big hand still to play. If the NRL gets back control of its draw, moves an Origin to weekends, locks in pre-season and post-season schedules with certainty and still gets less than the AFL, I am comfortable with that as a rugby league fan.
And the NRL has two years to capitalise on new platforms and opportunities in the online area. Sadly, if my mysterious consultant exists he or she gets paid regardless of whether he or she has led the competition up the garden path.
So if you’re trying to sift through the rhetoric and emotion and figure out if the NRL has done a good broadcast deal, the answer is this: it hasn’t done one yet, not completely.
As hard as this is to digest, it’s too early to judge Smith and the NRL just yet.]

beave

Coach
Probably the most rational and unbiased reporting of the whole situation.

Hearing some radio jocks going 'ah the AFL have got over double what the NRL got for their TV rights' just makes me shake my head in disbelief at how nieve and how little reearch they have on the matter

LeagueXIII

First Grade
This would support how important it was for the NRL to get the first and last rights clause out of the last agreement and ultimately cost CEO Kim Williams his job.

Now had we done a deal with Murdoch we would have been locked in again until 2022.

The next couple of years are going to be very interesting. I'm with you Dave.

flippikat

Bench
Probably the most rational and unbiased reporting of the whole situation.

Hearing some radio jocks going 'ah the AFL have got over double what the NRL got for their TV rights' just makes me shake my head in disbelief at how nieve and how little reearch they have on the matter

Mascord has a passion and positive attitude for the game, he puts a lot of the other short-sighted media to shame. I love how they all look sideways at him when he talks about games in far flung parts of the world.

RoosTah

Juniors
Mascord has a passion and positive attitude for the game, he puts a lot of the other short-sighted media to shame. I love how they all look sideways at him when he talks about games in far flung parts of the world.

I love the man. No one is more passionate about the game than he is. If someone could give him a few billion dollars he'd spread the game to every corner of the globe.

Brutus

Referee

When he was doing the sideline for Triple M the other week, Tallis kept putting shit on him whenever he came up with some interesting fact.

Mascord puts all other league journos to shame. He should be the RL expert on the various sports show panels. Idiots like Hooper and Massoud should be told where to go.

Eion

First Grade
When he was doing the sideline for Triple M the other week, Tallis kept putting shit on him whenever he came up with some interesting fact.

Mascord puts all other league journos to shame. He should be the RL expert on the various sports show panels. Idiots like Hooper and Massoud should be told where to go.

This. What we have done to deserve the likes of hooper, Kent, dui, massoud and co I don't know.

I shit you not, I know more about the game than those dribblers.

Latest posts