What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Murdoch wanted to put the Vipers on PPV this week (and the rest of the picks)...

HappyBadger

Juniors
When Lachlan and Rupert Murdoch said that they wanted to put the Sydney Vipers' game on pay-per-view in Australasia and England this week, FFBRL boss Chris Walker-Bush told them to f**k off, bugger off, get knackered...and then, he really got creative...

...but, I really can't blame them - this week, Sydney could be the best place on earth to be, sports-wise...what a game...

...but we'll give their reasons for wanting to charge AU$9.99 for the game on PPVTV when we look at the Vipers' game this week...first, the rest of a seven-course rugby feast:

Machu Picchu Llamas (+9.5) v Perth Reds:
Last five: MPL 1-4, PR 2-3
Streaks: MPL L4, PR W2
Perth has a Golden manager, and a new place to be, having moved the Kiwis' own Churr Bros to Western Australia...but they're in Peru this week. I think Perth has much more to play for, but I don't know about their chances in Peru...
...straight up, a Reds win, but I expect Perth not to cover.
Happy Badger's pick - Machu Picchu.

New England Celtic v Raymond Terrace Tanks (+14.5)
Last five: NEC 2-2-1, RTT 1-3-1
Streaks: NEC undefeated in last two (1-0-1), RTT L1
I would like to find a reason to pick the Tanks this week, even getting more than three tries and one conversion...but I just can't, not with Celtic at home. Yes, Tanks are desperate, but...
Happy Badger's pick: New England.

Shenzhen Sharkitohs v Grapes of Nanking (+2.5)
Last five: SS 3-2, GN 3-2
Streaks: SS L2, GN W1
Basically a pick-em in the China Clipper Derby (or the Little Red Rugby Book Battle)...but I expect both sides, being desperate to get top four, to fight hard every moment of this game...but...
Happy Badger's pick: Shenzen, covering the spread, barely.

South Canberra Knights (+16.5) v Brisbane Bulls
Last five: SCK 1-4, BB 2-1-2
Streaks: SCK L2, BB unbeaten in last three (1-0-2)
South Canberra, well? It's like they have Abbott, Rudd, Costello, and Gillard playing in their XIII this week, or, for that matter, the last month...but Bulls aren't playing well enough right now to cover almost three tries and conversions on the road, anywhere...Bulls win on the scoreboard, but...
Happy Badger's pick: South Canberra, losing by twelve or so.

Quahog Quagmires (+9.5) v Mua Saints
Last five: QQ 0-5, MS 4-1
Streaks: QQ L6, M W2
Quahog is too good to keep losing, they will win outright at least once more before the season ends...but this won't be the week...
Happy Badger's pick: Mua, by ten, covering.

Ipswich Reds (+7.5) v Roma Vandali
Last five: IR 2-3, RV 4-1
Streaks: IR L1, RV W1
One of the hottest teams in the league visits Ipswich, and both are desperate to make ground on the teams above them seeking the playoffs...but I am not sure Roma can win against the spread away from home...whether they can win straight-up is the same question...but I am not convinced of Ipswich's abilities to win at home against a hot side like Vandali, either...so...
Happy Badger's pick: Ipswich losing by two, so against the spread, they win.

Sydney Vipers v Ponte Preta Billy Goats (+6.5)
Last five - both 4-1
Streaks - both W4
The first two reasons why the Murdochs lust after this game more than for money are listed above.
Third, a rematch between ASRL old foes, Mr. Charisma for the Vipers, Happy Badger for the Billy Goats - great for the sideline reporters to vamp up before and during the game.
Fourth, this will possibly be a classic game for the ages, or maybe one side will rout the other epically - either way, great TV, great reason to go to the game.
And last, both have had ridiculously epic games very recently - the Vipers/Celtic mass scoreboard destruction derby, the then-Scoregasms' come-from-behind victory in Shenzen, completing the China Double...
...who to pick, who to pick?
I honestly can advise you to pick Sydney if you want to, they're good enough to cover 7 points...but...
Happy Badger's pick: Ponte Preta, in a game for the ages, 31-30.

Last edited:

HappyBadger

Juniors
And I barely held serve with my Ipswich pick - so my picks still have a chance to be as good this week!