What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Ban the "Dog Leg" ?

JJ

Immortal
No need for it imo, but at present doesn't seem to be illegal

A lot of pressure needlessly put on opponent's knee and/or ankle

Perth Red

Post Whore
but, but, but I thought it was only Melbourne with wrestling tactics??

Its not a freak accident, there has been a number of bad injuries from the same player/tackle. No need for it, ban it (and bring back the shoulder charge instead lol)

2010Dragons

Bench
Low dog act, by a low dog team.
I hope the Rorter boys have learnt from this game and tackle with the Dog leg, chicken wing and good ole coat hanger.

Rorter boys, its open DOG season, tackle them filthy cheating dogs with everything illegal.....you won't be suspended. If only lunatic Hargraves was playing.....the filthy Bullthugs would be maimed.

DiegoNT

First Grade
It's a surprisingly common tackle. Usually performed by smaller players like a halfback trying to bring down a big guy, but has seen an uptake due to the wrestling. Forwards usually hold up the ball runner until another few defenders arrive, then 1 defender will sweep the leg get the guy to ground, everyone piles on resulting in a slow play the ball. The only difference in the bulldogs tackle was that it was a big man on little man, and it resulted in injury. I can understand people wanting it banned of they think it's a bad tactic, but most want it banned as a knee jerk to an injury. That's a dangerous precedent to set and it sets us on a slippery slope. Like the recent shoulder charge change, we need to think of the consequences of what changing this rule are (and they may in fact be positive ) before we go in blindly changing rules like we have in the past (with some disastrous results ) just because someone got injured

lafai

Bench
Low dog act, by a low dog team.
I hope the Rorter boys have learnt from this game and tackle with the Dog leg, chicken wing and good ole coat hanger.

Rorter boys, its open DOG season, tackle them filthy cheating dogs with everything illegal.....you won't be suspended. If only lunatic Hargraves was playing.....the filthy Bullthugs would be maimed.

only dog is you mate

SET2JT

Juniors
Difference between the way Langer and Jeremy Smith trip players compared to Eastwood is, Eastwood has both feet in the air when he locks Benjis leg were as Langer and Smith had 1 led on the ground and the other one performing the trip. Eastwood's is a BJJ move.

StormHi

Juniors
Difference between the way Langer and Jeremy Smith trip players compared to Eastwood is, Eastwood has both feet in the air when he locks Benjis leg were as Langer and Smith had 1 led on the ground and the other one performing the trip. Eastwood's is a BJJ move.

I have not seen Eastwoods Move used in BJJ in almost 7 years of Training "Still consider myself a relative novice though " Does it have a name? You are 100 % right my comparison to Langers trips/throws are completely wrong :(

I think I need to see a active replay of the tackle not a still does he grab the torso first then Stick the legs in or does he slide in then grab? Either way I don't like the idea of it.

Like I said Under-hooks for top control or a Hip Slam or Even a double leg is fine by me but no single leg lifts or Joint manipulation should be allowed in any way.

SET2JT

Juniors
I have not seen Eastwoods Move used in BJJ in almost 7 years of Training "Still consider myself a relative novice though " Does it have a name? You are 100 % right my comparison to Langers trips/throws are completely wrong :(

I think I need to see a active replay of the tackle not a still does he grab the torso first then Stick the legs in or does he slide in then grab? Either way I don't like the idea of it.

Like I said Under-hooks for top control or a Hip Slam or Even a double leg is fine by me but no single leg lifts or Joint manipulation should be allowed in any way.
It will be called some sort of a leg lock. Purpose is to get your opponent down to the ground and move into side control in the one movement.

SET2JT

Juniors
I haven't seen Langer's trip since i was a kid but im sure he only used 1 leg to bring em down to the ground.
Back in Langers day there was no wrestling coaches either so im sure what he did was just based on instinct were as today we have all sort of MMA training at clubs to help out in the wrestle.