What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

no right to be there

millersnose

Post Whore
looking at the other teams left in the finals it is quite apparent their halves pairings are all way above ours in talent
as is all their tactical kicking games
all of them have better defence
all of them have better attack
all of them have a better squad over all

whatever happens today it has been quite an achievement to crawl off the bottom and compete and beat most of the best sides within 12 months

win loose or draw in the context of the last 12 months this has been a great season for the sharks

carcharias

Immortal
Actually that is wrong ...well in terms of robbo
I posted a link to some stats yesterday
Robbo best defence
Least errors
Most passes
Played the most games 25

That is against all other number 7's still in it.

Last edited:

millersnose

Post Whore
cronk
Thurston
Maloney
etc

robbo for all his undoubtably fine attributes is nowhere near these players

carcharias

Immortal
Yep
Wonder who out of the 3 has the most wins against the other 3 this season
Robbo is on 4 from 6 ?

Robbo best defence
Least errors
Most passes
Played the most games 25

blinkers are well and truly on in here with regard to Robbo

he could win Daly m half back of the year and hed still be a shit half back

do we all seriously believe we finished in the lofty position we did without a half back?

considering bird platued heavy in the back of the season

come onnnn

Robbo is Robbo.
He's what we have, he's a tough mother who tackles anything that moves.
On ya Robbo, smack that grinning idiot from north of the border and keep doing what you do.

carcharias

Immortal
Btw
I'm just being a smart arse and fully expect either Thurston or Cronk to hand Robbos arse to him shortly.
The stats are encouraging...?
Actually Thurston didn't play 1 of those games

Card Shark

Immortal
win loose or draw in the context of the last 12 months this has been a great season for the sharks

If we lose today, it's been a good season. Win & it's a great season.

I think our squad is way underestimated - we have a very well balanced team.

Btw
I'm just being a smart arse and fully expect either Thurston or Cronk to hand Robbos arse to him shortly.
The stats are encouraging...?
Actually Thurston didn't play 1 of those games

think you need a few emoticons to convey sentiment

Heres a few :crazy::sarcasm::roll:

shaggs

Coach
Look Shane perry was no origin or rep player but he won a competition. Robbo is there to direct traffic and guide us around the park.

Sure we would all like a half with more speed and a little more spark, but he is what we have and I think flanno has set a plan that plays to robbos "strengths". We know he doesn't have a good long kick but his shirt kicks are adequate. Whilst Ennius plays and the young guys add the spark we are a chance.

If we lose it won't be because of robbo. It will because of poor kick defence and trying to grind a win through Gallen and the forwards.

Inferno

Coach
Saying we have no right to be there is a massive overstatement.

Most of the teams still playing finals football are better than us in those areas, but most are not streets ahead in most areas.

Our attack was the 7th best in the league as was our defence.

We easily have one of the very best forward packs in the competition and this year our hooker has been if not the best hooker in the game, then in the top 2 or 3.

On paper our squad I think matches up well with just about every other side in the competition.

Internationals (almost all of which are recent)
Gallen
Lewis
Toops
Beale
Fifita

SOO
Gordon
Ennis

If you count city/country and internationals for Samoa/Tonga etc I'd say most of the rest of the top 17 have featured there as well.

Certainly the big difference between us and the other teams still around are our halves and by extension our kicking game, but we definitely bridge the gap in other areas.

coolumsharkie

Referee
We smash teams into submission. That's why we are where we are, and the coaching staff, conditioners and trainers all deserve credit.

Madsharkie

First Grade
Robbo best defence
Least errors
Most passes
Played the most games 25

I thought those stats were interesting. Couldn't help but wonder whether 'most passes' meant 'least runs'...?
:sarcasm: (emoticon for carch)

lingard

Coach
Robbo best defence
Least errors
Most passes
Played the most games 25

And Jeff Robson has finals experience, too. He's a very under-rated player.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
And Jeff Robson has finals experience, too. He's a very under-rated player.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-quest-for-finals-glory-20150915-gjn496.html Robson knows he doesn't have the pizzazz of Johnathan Thurston - his opposite number in the Sharks' semi-final against the Cowboys - or can demand the same pay packet of a halfback like Mitchell Pearce, but he knows where he stands as an honest toiler who enjoys going under the radar.

"I'm not the flashiest halfback going around, but if I'm going out there and doing my stuff week in, week out, hopefully we'll get the wins," Robson said. "I'm pretty low key and I don't go out there looking for praise and I'm happy to be a part of this team."

The 33-year-old is off contract at the end of the year and will go into another elimination match with no guarantees of where his next first grade match will come. Robson, however, leads some important statistical categories of halfbacks whose teams still have a tilt at premiership glory.

The former Manly and Parramatta veteran has played the most games this season (25) but made the fewest errors (13). He has made the most tackles (415) and passes (951) than any other halfback, averaging 38 per game which is slightly less than Thurston.

The reason for Robson's lack of praise comes down to the number of try assists he makes. This year he has produced seven, which puts him 50th among all players.

Statistics aside, Robson will be doing his homework on Thurston and Michael Morgan - who boast a combined 77 try and line-break assists in the NRL this season.

As long as he can propel Cronulla another step closer to a grand final - it will be their first since the Super League final of 1997 - Robson doesn't mind the "battler" tag used by his teammates.

"There's a bit of running joke going around at the moment ... I think it's got to do with all the media attention I've been getting and [because there are] a few quotes tossed out there that I'm a battler and a bit of a tradesman," Robson said. "The boys are jumping on that. It's just a bit of a laugh."

Described by Barba as "one of the toughest guys in the side", coach Shane Flanagan is just as full of praise for his chief playmaker.

"He [Robson] is a different player to JT, but he's an important part of our team," Flanagan said. "He's not a superstar, but he's our communicator and gets all our field position and shapes right.

"They [halfbacks] are probably one of the highest paid players in most teams and Robbo has toiled along for 10 years. He's never been in the category of being a high-flying halfback, he's just been a real tradesman all the time.

"He's a key player for us and he's doing a great job for us this year ... he's got a real big job to do this weekend."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...nals-glory-20150915-gjn496.html#ixzz3mAfh4f4w
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook