What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg Appointed NRL CEO

Who Should Be The Next NRL CEO

• Todd Greenberg

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Shane Richardson

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Phil Gould

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • John Grant

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Andrew Demetriou

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • John Quayle

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • Somebody Else.....Post Who

Votes: 46 56.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

_Johnsy

Referee
Didn't see this coming.

DAVE Smith has quit after a tumultuous three years as the boss of the National Rugby League.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal he was scheduled to inform staff at League Central headquarters and the game’s key stake holders at 10am today that he would be stepping down from the chief executive officer’s role.
NRL chairman John Grant will take over Smith’s responsibilities as interim CEO.
The independent commission will under take a world wide recruitment search to identify a new leader before the start of next season.
The breakdown in broadcast rights negotiations and an unsettled relationship with NRL clubs was believed to be the pivotal reasons behind his decision to leave.
Smith only recently told the Daily Telegraph that he had no plans to quit but pressure over his failure to complete a $1.7 billion TV and digital broadcast rights deal forced him out.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...utm_source=TelegraphSport&utm_medium=Facebook

Apologies, title obviously meant to read David Smith quits, not his doppleganger Davis Mith.

Last edited:

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
So this is why Gould sacked Cleary yesterday, he probably caught a sniff that this was coming and saw a distraction.

Smith....Did he jump or was he pushed? Apparently the breaking point was negotiations with Foxtel breaking down. Great, so Foxtel gets another blowjob.

Last edited:

bottle

Coach
Will be celebrations at Filth Corp. They'll be claiming the scalp for themselves before long.

Diesel

Coach
Just saw it on the TV at the airport. Had to come on here to confirm if it was true

_Johnsy

Referee
The breakdown in broadcast rights negotiations and an unsettled relationship with NRL clubs was believed to be the pivotal reasons behind his decision to leave.
Smith only recently told the Daily Telegraph that he had no plans to quit but pressure over his failure to complete a $1.7 billion TV and digital broadcast rights deal forced him out.

Smith....Did he jump or was he pushed?

I'm leaning towards a caring hand placed firmly between his shoulder blades guiding him towards the door.

Diesel

Coach
So this is why Gould sacked Cleary yesterday, he probably caught a sniff that this was coming and saw a distraction.

Smith....Did he jump or was he pushed? Apparently the breaking point was negotiations with Foxtel breaking down. Great, so Foxtel gets another blowjob.

If you believe the DT (and no one here does) you'd think they lead this for him to be pushed.

I thought Smith was doing a good job or sorting out these greedy (mainly but not just Sydney) clubs

NrlCoach

Juniors
"Smith only recently told the Daily Telegraph that he had no plans to quit but pressure over his failure to complete a $1.7 billion TV and digital broadcast rights deal forced him out." LOL Newsmerkins will do anything to undervalue the rights

yobbo84

First Grade
With the farcical nature of the NRL I can't help but think Greenmyth will get the position *shudders*.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Lol why would it come back? Rugby didn't bring it back when the collar bomb guy got the top job.

I agree in the sense that I'm cynical that they would bring it back but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if for the sake of populism, the media go with that the many rule changes over the past 3 years contributed to angst towards Smith from within the NRL.

beave

Coach
Could we have one, just f**king one, offseason where there isn't a major scandal or issue going on? As a general punter out there, I thought he was doing a good job. This throws a massive spanner in the tv negotiations I take it?

Latest posts