What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RWC 2015 Quarter finals

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Good effort from Argentina but Australia's defence was too good.

Bring on the All Blacks. Should be a cracker.

jargan83

Coach
I was starting to get nervous before Drew Mitchell went on his run. The Argies seemed to be lifting the longer they stayed in touch and some aimless kicking was gifting them possession and field position in the second half.

If we're out on our feet with 10 to go against the All Blacks they will tear us a new one.

Great to make the final when a lot of experts had us struggling out of our pool.

To be the man you've gotta beat the man. Bring on the final!

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Yep - felt for Argentina - they have certainly improved.

LOL at giving these wingers who score a couple of tries on the end of moves MoM. Pocock is just devastating - no questioning McCaw's greatness, but Pocock is the best there is at the moment, unfortunate for him he's had some bad injuries.

Hard to see the Wallabies beating us- aside from at the breakdown where Pocock and Hooper can slow us (or anyone) up a bit, we're better everywhere. Not sure there will be a lot of scrums, but we'll target them there, it remains a weakness for the Wallabies

All Blacks to win, if they play near their best. Cheika is a great coach (Australia have been blessed with some brilliant coaches, Jones probably the best), and he'll have some plans - they have to play out of their skins, and disrupt us (or we choke again) - FWIW - NZ by 8+

shiznit

Coach
Pocock is awesome... But I wouldn't swap Richie for anyone...

He's the best player of all time IMO...

Pocock is better over the ball... But that's because Richie doesn't play as a straight fetcher anymore... He's a better ball carrier, defender and link man than Pocock.

And of course there's his leadership skills...

We are going to struggle badly next season without him.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Yeah, you might start losing 2 tests per year instead of 1 in his absence :D

All Blacks by 13+. Australia have had a dream run in the qtrs and semis, yet still should have lost to Scotland.

I can't see them getting close tbh.

JJ

Immortal
Yeah, sounds arrogant but we're better in every single position, no exceptions really - I know the Australian loosies are tremendous and getting well deserved wraps, but we have McCaw, Read and Kaino FFS!

I've always thought union brings out an unpleasant arrogance or entitlement in us, but these last two World Cups are the first two where going in we've undoubtedly had the best sides - other times we've deluded ourselves into believing it was ours to win, or surprised (87 and 95)...

We play well, we win - nothing the Aussies can do about it... We're off a bit, and they can certainly upset us

Parra

Referee
If the Aussies play like they did against Argentina AB's will do it in a canter.

If they defend like they did against Wales, nothing the AB's can do about it. Best they can do is practice their long range goal kicking.

shiznit

Coach
If the Aussies play like they did against Argentina AB's will do it in a canter.

If they defend like they did against Wales, nothing the AB's can do about it. Best they can do is practice their long range goal kicking.
I disagree strongly on the Wales point...

Wales were absolutely terrible in attack. They threw next to nothing at the wallabies.

If the Wallabies go down to 14 men... We WILL score points... And probably a lot of them.

shiznit

Coach
Im more worried about us not playing well...

If we play poorly we will bring the Wallabies in to play... And once they get a sniff they have the ability to hurt us by actually playing some football.

The Wallabies have a backline which can definitely hurt us... And a loose trio who can give us massive headaches at the breakdown.

There aren't many sides in the world who can say they can do that to us...

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Im more worried about us not playing well...

If we play poorly we will bring the Wallabies in to play... And once they get a sniff they have the ability to hurt us by actually playing some football.

The Wallabies have a backline which can definitely hurt us... And a loose trio who can give us massive headaches at the breakdown.

There aren't many sides in the world who can say they can do that to us...

That's exactly it - we were ordinary against the Boks, and ordinary in the last WC final - but won both games.

We play well, we win - simple, as I said earlier, 1-15 we have an advantage in every position, Australia has always had quality 'fetchers' and we've always dealt with them. They have weapons to hurt us, but we have many more to hurt them - our ball carriers are stronger, Kaino has hurt Pocock before, our scrum, and our backline - plus SBW is a serious weapon from the bench... I am hoping for something special from the retirees - Nonu is due a really big game

Anything is possible, but at the end of the day we're much better than them, and we are usually pretty impressive coming off an ordinary test.

Cheika is a canny bastard, but so too is Pa Bear

Will be an interesting game, no mistake

Last edited:

Tommy Smith

Referee
:lol: yeah, we're not Wales, nor are we the Pumas
Yeah you're pretty far removed from being Wales given that the last time they beat you was the year Sir Edmund Hillary summited Everest in 1953 :lol:

26 straight wins.

So yes, I'd day the All Blacks are a slightly different prospect to the might of Wales, or Scotland, or Argentina.

JJ

Immortal
That was a one-off Tommy... :lol:

Pretty rare for anyone to beat us (only RSA historically, and that's changed)... the record of the ABs if quite amazing really...

shiznit

Coach
Our bench is probably the biggest advantage we have...

With most benches there's a decent drop off from the starting line up.... Our bench with Beauden Barrett, SBW, Franks, Mealamu, Caine ect... Actually provide a big lift to performance.

Latest posts