What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Trek to return to the small screen.

Timbo

Staff member
http://www.startrek.com/article/new-star-trek-series-premieres-january-2017

I'm not too sure about this. Whilst it is undoubtably one of the most enduring franchises of all time (723 episodes of TV, 13 films and a continuous presence on TV from 1987-2005) I don't know what place Star Trek has in the contemporary Sci Fi realm. Shows that have been successful in the last decade or so have been things like Battlestar, and tend to be dark as hell. The most recent Trek series, Enterprise, was a catastrophe largely because it tried to be 'darker' and the fans turned off in droves. Also it was a prequel and did its best to ruin 40 years of established canon by changing the history of the franchise.

Also the articles seem to suggest it won't be connected to the JJ Abrams reboot films, meaning it's not a common cinematic universe. So will it pick up where Voyager left off or be its own new thing entirely? Either way, I really don't know if it can work the way that it used to.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
There is a gaping chasm in the TV calendar where decent sci-fi used to reside. If there was a ever a good time to bring it back, now would be it. I'll be tuning in.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Good stuff.

Presumably Paramount and CBS are now fully joined at the hip?

perverse

Referee
So having read TFA in OP's post... it is really vague on which Star Trek universe this show will be based. Reading between the lines, and given Kurtzmans involvement.... I would actually hazard a guess that it might be based in the same universe as the new movies - but unrelated to the events that take place in those movies.

Not sure how I feel about that, if true. While I did enjoy the new movies immensely, they did water it down to an almost unrecognisable action-fest.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
That's true of many of the original universe films though too - Wrath of Khan, First Contact, The Undiscovered Country, Insurrection are pretty well action flicks, and the more 'character driven' ones like The Motion Picture and The Final Frontier are awful.

Setting it in the new universe doesn't mean it'll be all action, all the time.

BrisbaneRhino

Juniors
I've never understood the fanboy hatred of the Star Trek movie reboot. I was brought up on the original series and loved the updates.

IMO the problem with Enterprise was that it was quite simply boring. I think hard core fans tend to overplay the moral dimensions etc making Star Trek popular in the first place, which seem to have become almost the entire rationale for that series.

Timbo

Staff member
*bump*

Well, five episodes in and I was definitely right that they have gone 'darker and edgier', and yet I'm really enjoying it. Jason Isaacs is terrific as Captain Lorca, and I'm really enjoying Martin-Green as Burnham.

It's got a bit of a DS9 feel to it which was always my favourite spin off.

DlEHARD

Juniors
Well they ruined the Klingons, lighting is very poor on starships and they made Sasha a know all super character who is annoying af.

Reading twenty minutes of muffled Klingon subtitles is enthralling.

Timbo

Staff member
Well they ruined the Klingons, lighting is very poor on starships and they made Sasha a know all super character who is annoying af.

Reading twenty minutes of muffled Klingon subtitles is enthralling.

There is a theory floating around as to why they've gone so hard on the Klingon prosthetics and voices:

Ash Tyler, the security officer rescued by Lorca in episode 5, is actually Voq, the Klingon commander, who has been genetically modified to be a spy. They appear to be played by different actors, but the guy credited as Voq has only one IMBD credit and it's all a ruse to facilitate a twist

Pretty cool if it plays out this way.

Last Week

Bench
I'm enjoying it. I think it's quite engaging, especially at this point. Not a fan of what they've done with the Klingons though. They're just annoying here.

RockWheel

Bench
So far it's... okay. It's entertaining and fast paced and modern. But the characters aren't particularly memorable or enjoyable. Everyone is distrustful, or antagonistic towards each other. Which is fine, but i always liked how in Star Trek the characters mostly all got along and liked each other. Maybe that's too dorky or corny or whatever for modern audiences.

Also the Klingons are basically just monsters now.

axl rose

Bench
Enjoying the show a lot. Though I have only seen two of the latest Trek movies and none of the old series, so nothing to compare it to perhaps helps.

RockWheel

Bench
Enjoying the show a lot. Though I have only seen two of the latest Trek movies and none of the old series, so nothing to compare it to perhaps helps.
This new series is basically a perfect tv show for fitting with the tone and style of the new movies, of which i think 2 out of 3 are good.

Last Week

Bench
So far it's... okay. It's entertaining and fast paced and modern. But the characters aren't particularly memorable or enjoyable. Everyone is distrustful, or antagonistic towards each other. Which is fine, but i always liked how in Star Trek the characters mostly all got along and liked each other. Maybe that's too dorky or corny or whatever for modern audiences.

Also the Klingons are basically just monsters now.

I agree with this hugely. Characters were civil in other Star Treks. Which made sense as they were in a more civilised society.

I hate how impatient TV audiences are these days. Always wanting the quick satisfaction from entertainment.

Timbo

Staff member
Any of you fine Borg watching The Orville?

Loving it.

Seriously poorly promoted though. It looked like it was going to be goofy slapstick, when really Macfarlane is making classic TNG episodes with the odd dick joke thrown in.

If you're a fan of TNG and you've not seen it, The Orville is really worth a look.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Yeah the Orville really surprised me. I thought it was going to be a Galaxy Quest style spoof but it actually really captures what the 80s and 90s Star Trek TV shows were great at

Honestly, the jokes are ok but they don't make the show

axl rose

Bench
Episode 7: Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad. This was the best episode of the series so far f Good fun.

bileduct

Coach
Episode 7: Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad. This was the best episode of the series so far f Good fun.
No, it really wasn't.

I like the new show, I like the new Klingons, but some of the shit people do on this show is on the stupidity level of your average teenager in a Friday the 13th movie.

This episode was exceptionally geniused. How f**king useless is the dipshit that can sense death coming, yet the crew gets wiped out over and over and he never pipes up? The shit about dancing with the guy? Jeeeeeeesus Christ.