What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

Desert Qlder

First Grade
It is almost at the point where not signing with FoxSports/News Ltd. is to the strategic advantage of the NRL.

It leaves their direct competitor on a stranded, perhaps even dying platform. It would also drag a lot of RL subscribers from not being able to casually access games of Ozzie rules.

Money rules the day but these little details should not be lost on the negotiators.

Last edited:

chigurh

If the NRL ditches Fox it'd be interesting to see what kind of position would Fox be in by 2022 when the AFL deal expires.

LESStar58

Referee
Why one part of me wants News to come in with a OTT bid for the remaining game another part of me wants to see them suffer for all things they have said about our game of late by rejecting their overtures and watch their subscriptions go into free fall.

I too am conflicted in this regard.

If they had zero to do with the game anf carried on with their smear tactics I would largely ignore it. But the fact they are supposedly a big supporter of the game just angers me when they carry on like that!

beave

Coach
Boys you are skipping over a vital bit of info in one of the previous articles.

Apparently Parra will be cruising to another GF victory!!!!!!

:p

siv

First Grade
Dave Smith and our commission are on the ball with our rights. Honestly fantastic. Just wait. The longer we wait, the more this landscape will change as the NBN gets closer to completion.

Of course it makes sense for us to sell 4 FTA games first, we're going to have what we haven't had since the 90's, competition for the Pay TV/digital rights.

NBN is due to complete in 2020 but still nothing planned where I live

taipan

Referee
If anyone can get on Fox Skybusiness Media Week with James Manning,it(the later show) is on this Sunday at 6pm.
I watched the earlier one yesterday.
They had Brian Walsh a Foxtel promo guy,who was crapping on about all the new content such as movies ,lifestyle etc etc going to be on.He inferred losing the EPL would not be affecting them,and seems to sidetrack the question on the NRL rights.

They had another media expert later ,who suggested the NRL and Nine did a brilliant deal .

The News mob,are looking dopier by the day.Not that Buzz,Bec or Kent were anything but dopes.

And that Darrebn Davidson has already put a figure on the NRL full contract(via a graph) in today's Australian of $1.7bn.Again he is guessing,but it shows if the NRL got $925bn from Nein ,that based on Davidson's best there will be at least $800m paid by Foxtel.
Of course the $1.7bn is not Grant's making and he told the Pommy git so.

Last edited:

cleary89

Coach
Do nine/stan have exclusive online rights to their 4 fta games. Telestra paid like 300m for the 9 afl games over 6 years. Yeh we gave away half ours in that fta deal but could telstra pay say 170m for ours?

Last Week

Bench
Do nine/stan have exclusive online rights to their 4 fta games. Telestra paid like 300m for the 9 afl games over 6 years. Yeh we gave away half ours in that fta deal but could telstra pay say 170m for ours?

Yeah, as applesauce said, our digital rights won't be exclusive. The streaming rights for the 4 FTA games 9 have can be sold again.

elbusto

Coach
I notice thst the news limited hacks keep rolling out the 1.7 billion figure for nrl rights. Any more than that makes ruperts idiotic decision to throw money at the afl look meaningless. How they are going to save face here will be interesting. For what its worth i meet lots of people who are dropping foxtel for any number of reasons.

Last Week

Bench
I notice thst the news limited hacks keep rolling out the 1.7 billion figure for nrl rights. Any more than that makes ruperts idiotic decision to throw money at the afl look meaningless. How they are going to save face here will be interesting. For what its worth i meet lots of people who are dropping foxtel for any number of reasons.

They did the same think for the last deal. They were all saying $750 to $800 million. Even on the day it was announced, they were saying that the $1billion we got included NZ and digital rights, when it in fact didn't.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
You can almost guarantee EPL will still be available on the foxtel platform.

Wont be on fox sports. But there will be an option to subscribe to the optus EPL channel on foxtel platform

Same as setanta. Be in sports. Greek channel etc

The big thing though it will cost more and be non exclusive

CC_Roosters

First Grade
You can almost guarantee EPL will still be available on the foxtel platform.

Wont be on fox sports. But there will be an option to subscribe to the optus EPL channel on foxtel platform

Same as setanta. Be in sports. Greek channel etc

The big thing though it will cost more and be non exclusive

Given telstra own a significant percentage of foxtel would they allow optus to broadcast?

If it was an additional charge i couldnt see many except British expats doing it tbh. Will be out of sight of mind then, bolt on channels never do well relative to the master sports package

CC_Roosters

First Grade
NBN is due to complete in 2020 but still nothing planned where I live

Check the nbnco website there was a big updated release on it that was pretty comprehensive. It even had my suburb on it for the first time.

insert.pause

First Grade
they talked about the optus stuff on offsiders and that old Victorian woman said 'the NRL aren't looking so stupid after all, having still got paytv & telco rights unsold, anything could happen there'