What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters
Eh. I'm not convinced it's entirely wrong.

Can anyone tell me why the NRL are in such a hurry to bend over for Murdoch? After all the shit talking he did. Seems we could have easily made him sweat it out and thrn taken him to the cleaners, but instead we sack the CEO who's daring to get us value for money and go running back to the table to (allegedly) give him every game. It's f**king weak.
Oh my .
You are a perfect news ltd fool .
You apparently believe the latest clap trap,but ignore the fact they have lied continuously since the FTA deal was announced .

BuffaloRules

Coach
Was listening to triple m Brisbane in the car and they were commenting on the 6pm game. They think it's just a market tester to see how people react to a 6pm slot. Poor reaction would see it striked out

Hope they are reading this board then which has done a pretty good job exposing some News Ltd spin.

taipan

Referee
Optus steals the EPL from Dummy Spitter and his News boot lickers.
News ltd papers all of a sudden show a conciliatory attitude toward the NRL,intimating they should get the $1.8bn .
Negotiations according to the News attack dogs Davidson (Australian) Bourbons,Slurpsfield,and Scooper is in full swing because Smith has departed.

Nothing to do with Optus,nothing to do with the fact they have a possible Pay competitor,nothing to do with the fact without the NRL they are left like a shag on an expensive rock,and my mother in law is a pole vaulter and underwater decathlete.

IMO keep the lying contradicting media b*stards squirming for another 12 months,time is on the NRL side.

Last edited:

InThatNumber

Juniors
As Foxtel will pay the lions share of the AFL deal, Fox Sports as a related yet seperate entity, will have plenty to pay the full freight of the NRL deal. I reckon their share of a total deal should be 300 mil per season including simulcasting. See 9's contribution drop to 800 and the NRL gets 2.3 for the 5 years. Here's hoping the morons running the clubs stop undermining the governing body and let the deal take place. Edit not accounting for NZ or digital or other rights.

BlueandGold

Juniors
Oh my .
You are a perfect news ltd fool .
You apparently believe the latest clap trap,but ignore the fact they have lied continuously since the FTA deal was announced .

I would love to know were he got the ''Smith was sacked'' bullshit from.

He was brought in to do a job and he accomplished that job.

Smith officially resigned and until there is other evidence of Smith being sacked its a mute point to make.

I think he has been reading to many News Ltd paper of late.

I think what we'll end up with something like this.

Thursday and Friday night matches on Nine.

Saturday
1:30pm - Fox
3:30pm - Fox
5:30pm - Fox
7:30pm - Fox

Sunday
2pm Nine
4pm Nine
6:30pm Fox

I would love to see the Sunday night match on FTA but I can't see that happening. Too much of an outlay for the networks for something they don't make money on, compared to what they have now (reality TV) which is cheap to put on, rates it's tits off nationally and makes money.

9 match schedule will be interesting when it happens.

I'm honestly not a fan of sat day though, most junior sports are played that day.

I'd prefer to see a Sunday match at Noon. Either that or we may have to have two matches on at the same time like the AFL.

elbusto

Coach

I'm honestly not a fan of sat day though, most junior sports are played that day.

I'd prefer to see a Sunday match at Noon. Either that or we may have to have two matches on at the same time like the AFL.

Yes but that saturday schedule is great churn for fox and if they get simulcast rights they get wins all round as does nine. That is a great schedule for nine games

Yes but that saturday schedule is great churn for fox and if they get simulcast rights they get wins all round as does nine. That is a great schedule for nine games

Do you remember the Saturday day ABC game back in the day? Always the worst crowds. Just feel there's not enough people home to watch it either , more people out & about on a sat.

elbusto

Coach
Do you remember the Saturday day ABC game back in the day? Always the worst crowds. Just feel there's not enough people home to watch it either , more people out & about on a sat.

Bloody oath I do. Saturday afternoon in Hobart watching this great game I had never seem before with me old man and some mates. Loved it ever since.

But that is not the point.

The AFL are already adopting a similar model and some of the ratings are bloody dreadful - but check the money they just got. That's what this is about. Its a long game we are involved in here.

Last Week

Bench

I know, and I do see the issue. But I see it as being an ideal compromise for all parties. I personally don't like the idea of a double header on Nine on Sunday, but from the beginning of the Wide World of Sports broadcast, through to the Footy Show and Roast, leading into the games, I can see how 9 will be able to build a strong live audience into the news. That's the money for them. I do fear viewer drop off though, like with the two Friday games. Hopefully being live and not late at night will help.

Otherwise, the best way 2 games at once will work is the Saturday 7:30pm game (one on 9, one on Fox) and let fox show the replay straight after their 7:30pm game. This will cannibalise the viewers though, reducing the value for broadcasters.

A noon kick off would suck for everyone. Fans and broadcasters don't like them. Only way that could work is with a Perth kick off at 2pm local.

That's exactly what I thought too. I do worry about the 1:30pm kick off a bit, but in reality, half an hour is nothing for fans compared to 2pm. Fox keep their exclusive Saturday line up and also get 3 games to broadcast on Sunday (2 simulcast from 9 and then the Sunday night match).

On Sundays Fox will be up against Nine, especially seeing as Nine will have the lead in of WWS, the footy show and the roast, but that just means they're going to have to come up with a superb production to garner their viewers. They could easily do it too. Sterlo and the Matty Johns shows are successful.

Last edited:
Bloody oath I do. Saturday afternoon in Hobart watching this great game I had never seem before with me old man and some mates. Loved it ever since.

But that is not the point.

The AFL are already adopting a similar model and some of the ratings are bloody dreadful - but check the money they just got. That's what this is about. Its a long game we are involved in here.

If a Perth team came in at least half of the sat games could be 9.30pm anyway.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Here is some more dribble, from Buzz,

Channel 7, now in the mix

http://www.2gb.com/audioplayer/138931

Changes by the day with these idiots

Is Sloth brain damaged or just drunk?

Edit: managed to finish without sticking a knife in my ear....

Sloth keeps taking about how great the deal was in that it put Fox in a really difficult position and forced them to pony up the cash. Yet, throught he entire interview, he couldnt once give credit to the ARLC.

Everything was about how great Gynge was at screwing Newltd, but obviously DSmith was terrible at his job ](*,)

Last edited:

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I subjected to myself to listening & he says no way Channel 7 will get a game (as Ch9 wouldn't want them to have one), so I'm not sure why you think Ch7 are in the mix.

Ross asked the question... about channel 7, where did he get the idea to ask that question, ?

He wouldnt just pull it out of his arse, not being a sports guy, obviously he heard it off someone,

A noon kick off would suck for everyone. Fans and broadcasters don't like them. Only way that could work is with a Perth kick off at 2pm local.

It's a NZ team that would kick off at 2pm local & have it shown east coast Aus at noon.

That's exactly what I thought too. I do worry about the 1:30pm kick off a bit, but in reality, half an hour is nothing for fans compared to 2pm. Fox keep their exclusive Saturday line up and also get 3 games to broadcast on Sunday (2 simulcast from 9 and then the Sunday night match).

There's no sat 2pm game , 1.30 would be two hours earlier than the earliest current game. Which has an extremely poor crowd record.

If a Perth team came in though at least half of the games could be sat 9.30 live for the east coast.

Latest posts