What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

no name

Coach
Like the three Queensland clubs, Stadiums Queensland and Graham say they know about plans for the timeslot only what they have read in the press.
As well as the NRL clubs having flagged seeking compensation from the NRL if the new timeslot is introduced, stadiums and contracted caterers may also want compensation from the NRL.
So even though it media speculation/BS, clubs are already seeking compensation?
Seems legit.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
Why doesnt a FTA channel buy the other 4 games ?

Plenty of room on a #2 channel to show the other 4 games

It's still a possibility even if it's more a last resort kind. 9 do not have an exclusive F2A contract. It all comes down to price.

That said I don't think the NRL would want the hit on crowds - so even in the scenario I doubt there'd be any more than 5 or 6 games.

News Ltd killing their own story :crazy:

First you sell the bullshit. (6pm idea)
Then you sell the truth that exposes the bullshit. (6pm won't work)
Then you pin the bullshit on someone else. (6pm was NRL's idea)
Tabloid 101.

Because they're in negotiations. Duh..

Plus they don't have to argue against it themselves. They can let others do the hard work (9, Queensland Government etc) and say it's out of their hands anyway.

taipan

Referee
I have been reading newspapers for eons ,never in my life have I seen so much contradictory and at times vindictive bs as that thrown out by News Ltd rl journos,since the start of Super league.It has reached a crescendo since D Smith got the job and left.

They assume everyone or(whats left of them) readers,are a pack of gullible gimps,who soak up every word they type as being holy writ,and uncontestable.
They have been shown to be wrong on many occasions and in some cases to the point of being subject to liable action.

In the real highly competitive commercial world,they would be almost unemployable. They embarrass at every opportunity.Yet their dummy spitting master reigns over them,and endorses every written and spoken word.

The Peter Frilingos's of this world are sorely missed in the world of rugby league journalism..

axl rose

Bench
I have been reading newspapers for eons ,never in my life have I seen so much contradictory and at times vindictive bs as that thrown out by News Ltd rl journos,since the start of Super league.It has reached a crescendo since D Smith got the job and left.

They assume everyone or(whats left of them) readers,are a pack of gullible gimps,who soak up every word they type as being holy writ,and uncontestable.
They have been shown to be wrong on many occasions and in some cases to the point of being subject to liable action.

In the real highly competitive commercial world,they would be almost unemployable. They embarrass at every opportunity.Yet their dummy spitting master reigns over them,and endorses every written and spoken word.

The Peter Frilingos's of this world are sorely missed in the world of rugby league journalism..

Frilingos was the worst the lot. Especially during and after Sewer League.

taipan

Referee
Frilingos was the worst the lot. Especially during and after Sewer League.

Whilst the SL saga was on,he followed the News line,as did some ARL clubs.But in saying that he was not as vindictive as the current lot are,nor did he bash the code when the SL was over or prior.He was fairly balanced and was A grade compared to the current lot of sycophants.

Frilingos> daylight second= Burbon/Sloshfield/Kent/Massoud

Brutus

Referee
Chippy would most definitely be in the centipede of morons if he was alive today.

I have no doubt he would follow the company line in the current climate.

Last Week

Bench
Frilingos suggested Trent Barrett be picked for Australia at five-eighth over Lockyer.

The guy was a joke.

I'm sure that was the first year Lockyer played five eight, and he wasn't crash hot at it that year. Still adjusting. He got the Australia number 6, but it was thought to be a risk at the time.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I'm sure that was the first year Lockyer played five eight, and he wasn't crash hot at it that year. Still adjusting. He got the Australia number 6, but it was thought to be a risk at the time.

I'll take Bennett's judgement over Frilingos' any day.

Having passed before his time, Frilingos seems have taken on a status above his station in the game. He was just a journalist after all.

Brutus

Referee
He was good on The Back Page though.

He would have just gone with the centipede-styled flow if he was still around the DT.

BlueandGold

Juniors
Everybody on that radio interview is working of the premise that these News numbers thrown around are even close to the mark...:crazy::crazy:

They reckon a 200million reduction for simulcasting yet Nine have already said they reduce the deal by 30million a year for simulcasting which is 150million.

Simulcasting with 8 games on Fox will net the NRL imo 1billion+

Add in Digital and NZ Sky and i think the NRL ends up about 2.1billion or the same as AFL on a annual basis.

Add in expansion and that's were it gets interesting.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Nothing Masters has written or said convinces me he has close knowledge of the negotiations.

News Ltd. have been successful in stirring the pot over the last few days and pressured Fairfax to drop possible figures and outcomes.

News are trying to build expectations of an imminent deal. Which is something they need, but we are not entirely sure that's what the NRL wants. This could possibly lead to a new narrative they will run with if it does not happen I.e 'NRL and Grant cause breakdown in negotiations, club warlords not happy'.

Roy80

Juniors
Roy nailed it god luv im

Well with all of this garbage being written about him i hope the poor bastard is resting in peace.

You are kidding. Roy has no idea, the nrl deal will surpass 1.9m, that's just the start and he's just rehashing news figures to get to his totals.
Frillingos, sure... Rip and all that, but the guy was a news puppet for the last 10 years of his life. Bashed league more than any telegraph journo at the time. Heaps of negative stories. Rothfield took over from him IMO

elbusto

Coach
You are kidding. Roy has no idea, the nrl deal will surpass 1.9m, that's just the start and he's just rehashing news figures to get to his totals.
Frillingos, sure... Rip and all that, but the guy was a news puppet for the last 10 years of his life. Bashed league more than any telegraph journo at the time. Heaps of negative stories. Rothfield took over from him IMO

Get stuffed